Can Jordan last a whole season?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
JT can be replaced as far as power running goes, but his home run ability on the ground will probably never be replaced, sadly.

JT is a top 5 QB on The Flats imo.
I don't mean to kick a dead horse but MM would have given us that ability, or more.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My favorite TW play of all was in Atlanta when he was either a sophomore or junior, playing Clemson which I believe was unbeaten at the time. On the goal line, ran his Bback option and the big, bruising and very athletic Clemson nose tackle absolutely blew it up, just crushed our guy. And almost instantly realized that Washington had pulled the ball out and stepped around both of them into the end zone. His body language was priceless. Like, "Dang, man!" A bonus to the value of the midline, I suppose.
7:40 (close up slow mo at 7:47 is the bomb!)

ps. our OL owned Clem and Sims ran like a beast, too. TW had a career game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for that, Cheese. More than one great moment for sure: the drop, the catch. Great way to follow Saturday.
TW was way better at the mesh than JT, especially at the fakes. He also ran a ton of qb follow and midline. Those two plays really force the lb's to stay home which really opens up the perimeter run game. Think of how much better our O would be with JT if the lb's didn't get a running start to the edge.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
My favorite TW play of all was in Atlanta when he was either a sophomore or junior, playing Clemson which I believe was unbeaten at the time. On the goal line, ran his Bback option and the big, bruising and very athletic Clemson nose tackle absolutely blew it up, just crushed our guy. And almost instantly realized that Washington had pulled the ball out and stepped around both of them into the end zone. His body language was priceless. Like, "Dang, man!" A bonus to the value of the midline, I suppose.
There is a lot to like about having the midline as a play. Probably the biggest plus is that you can neutralize a beastly DT without having to block him. Think about that for a minute. Think about all the DTs that have given us fits over the last couple of years. Well, we had trouble blocking them, just as we had trouble blocking this guy from Climpsum that year. But, when you can option him some of the time, you can take him out of plays, but also make him less of a beast, as he gets surprised when you do block him after a few plays left alone.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
I know it's been said. But, that game footage above is a reminder. You don't have to have either blinding speed or a cannon of an arm to run our offense well. Tevin was good, but not great, at so many things. When the other guys were doing their jobs, it was working most weeks. Especially that night.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Tevin got better every year. His sr year ranks up with the best of any other qb we've had and with a much weaker supporting cast.
CPJ said of Tevin "He got the most out of his ability". There were a few games where Tevin led a late TD drive for the go ahead score only to see the defense be unable to hold on for the win. I remember CPJ saying on a couple of occasions that Tevin was not the problem with the offense when people were calling in to complain about the lack of productivity on that side of the ball.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
There is a lot to like about having the midline as a play. Probably the biggest plus is that you can neutralize a beastly DT without having to block him. Think about that for a minute. Think about all the DTs that have given us fits over the last couple of years. Well, we had trouble blocking them, just as we had trouble blocking this guy from Climpsum that year. But, when you can option him some of the time, you can take him out of plays, but also make him less of a beast, as he gets surprised when you do block him after a few plays left alone.

Also consider how much easier it makes it when the Def doesn't really have to prepare for or worry about midline

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said of Tevin "He got the most out of his ability". There were a few games where Tevin led a late TD drive for the go ahead score only to see the defense be unable to hold on for the win. I remember CPJ saying on a couple of occasions that Tevin was not the problem with the offense when people were calling in to complain about the lack of productivity on that side of the ball.
Paul also says that everywhere he's ever been, the most popular player on the team has always been the backup QB.

If that doesn't illustrate the gap between we fans and the coaches, I don't know what does.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Paul also says that everywhere he's ever been, the most popular player on the team has always been the backup QB.

If that doesn't illustrate the gap between we fans and the coaches, I don't know what does.
That's because we fans know something about evaluating talent, and professional talent spotters don't, in our living rooms, right from a scouting service.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Watch the Navy - SMU game over on Youtube. I'm guessing that's how we'll look next year: heavy on QB running - on TO plays, half the time Worth is tucking the ball in before he gets to the edge - and between the tackles work. I think the only question will be if MJ proves to be as good in the trash as Worth.

Also, notice that Worth does the same thing on TO plays that MJ does when he gets a chance to run them: he pitches as soon as the pitch key turns his shoulders toward him. Imho, this is one reason why the TO seems to run faster at Navy; the pitch is sooner in the sequence. JT is much faster then MJ and a whole lot cuter at the edge. The one drawback to that is that he sometimes holds the ball too long in an attempt to juke the pitch key and get a good run out of it. He succeeds a lot more often with that then MJ ever will. Result: more explosion. Next year: more grind.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Imho, this is one reason why the TO seems to run faster at Navy; the pitch is sooner in the sequence.

I was struck by the same thing watching Tevin, and I think you are 100% accurate. Better players allow GT to run it "slower", but more explosively. I have never picked up on this in my MANY years watching this offense. Holding it longer REALLY stresses the defense because it forces more guys to make more clear commitments (and thus be wrong). You can do that when you have more size/speed/quickness.

Really good catch, ttp!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
takethepoints point above is one more reason to be optimistic about the offense with Mathew at the wheel. It will look a little different, but it can still get results. We have both spring and fall practices to go, so of course anything can happen, but I'd say the chances are very high that Jordon will be the starter opening day.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
takethepoints point above is one more reason to be optimistic about the offense with Mathew at the wheel. It will look a little different, but it can still get results. We have both spring and fall practices to go, so of course anything can happen, but I'd say the chances are very high that Jordon will be the starter opening day.

Yep, I'm as high on Lucas Johnson as anybody, but it would blow my mind for anybody except for Jordan being GT's starter on opening day.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I likely missed this but has anyone pointed out that freshmen redshirt or true pretty much never win the starting role for CPJ? This is a complex offense. I think Jordan's performance at VT effectively guarantees he will not be beaten out next season. The year after is more likely unless from injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
As if Josh could?

Actually, I don't think there's much to worry about here. Jordan is strongly built and, after a summer/spring working on his pitch reads, should do just fine. Also, he can throw; look at his high school film.

As I've said her before, I think we can watch MJ at QB in the Army/Navy game. True, his name will be Will Worth, but it's the same player. MJ'll do just fine and we'll run over people like a tank. I can hardly wait.
Decision making real time will be his challenge...I've seen his HS video...he can really let it fly, if he has time and plays within himself...