Can Jordan last a whole season?

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
We, well I, drew the wrong conclusions from 2014, ie, that the OL was the key. After watching what the offense did in 2014, especially on 3rd down, I just knew that having 4 starters back on the OL meant that it didn't matter how inexperienced we were at AB, BB, and WR. Anybody could get yards behind the OL we had coming back. Could not have been more wrong. It has taken us a year and a half to get back to near where we were in 2014 at the skill positions, but I think we were nearly there late in the season. Put it this way, we went to Blacksburg with three true freshmen OL and a backup up QB, and pretty much stomped the VT team that is going to beat Clemson tonight. That lineup was the opposite of what we had in 2015 when we lost to a worse VT in ATL.

Next year barring massive injuries, MJ is going to have talent and experience all around him at AB, BB, and WR. Losing Marshall is a blow, and Mills has to stay eligible. I think we will have the best group of A Backs under CPJ next year. WR will be a strength - good hands and good blockers. In 2014, JT had to get the ball to the right place, and the talent around him took over. In 2015, JT had to try and make the plays himself. Next year, MJ should have a situation similar to JT in 2014. I also think that MJ was a better passer this year than JT was in 2013.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Watching the Navy game with their QB on the sideline in crutches - this is why no matter who we have starting this offense will always need a second QB capable of coming in and running the show.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We, well I, drew the wrong conclusions from 2014, ie, that the OL was the key. After watching what the offense did in 2014, especially on 3rd down, I just knew that having 4 starters back on the OL meant that it didn't matter how inexperienced we were at AB, BB, and WR. Anybody could get yards behind the OL we had coming back. Could not have been more wrong. It has taken us a year and a half to get back to near where we were in 2014 at the skill positions, but I think we were nearly there late in the season. Put it this way, we went to Blacksburg with three true freshmen OL and a backup up QB, and pretty much stomped the VT team that is going to beat Clemson tonight. That lineup was the opposite of what we had in 2015 when we lost to a worse VT in ATL.

Next year barring massive injuries, MJ is going to have talent and experience all around him at AB, BB, and WR. Losing Marshall is a blow, and Mills has to stay eligible. I think we will have the best group of A Backs under CPJ next year. WR will be a strength - good hands and good blockers. In 2014, JT had to get the ball to the right place, and the talent around him took over. In 2015, JT had to try and make the plays himself. Next year, MJ should have a situation similar to JT in 2014. I also think that MJ was a better passer this year than JT was in 2013.
Well, you got guts and sometimes guts is enough. But VT will beat Clemson when GT doesn't need skill at the skill positions. But you really hung it out there, anyway.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, you got guts and sometimes guts is enough. But VT will beat Clemson when GT doesn't need skill at the skill positions. But you really hung it out there, anyway.
Well, I have to say Redmule just about but not quite nailed it with Clemson-VT. Never thought VT would put up 35 on that defense. I looked out my window a bit earlier and a blackbird was on a neighboring roof. I figured Redmule couldn't find a crow on such short notice. Good game, a couple of unusual offensive plays by Clemson in addition to the fly sweep that destroyed them in the Orange Bowl a few years ago. I hope Clemson and the ACC go take it all the way.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well, I have to say Redmule just about but not quite nailed it with Clemson-VT. Never thought VT would put up 35 on that defense. I looked out my window a bit earlier and a blackbird was on a neighboring roof. I figured Redmule couldn't find a crow on such short notice. Good game, a couple of unusual offensive plays by Clemson in addition to the fly sweep that destroyed them in the Orange Bowl a few years ago. I hope Clemson and the ACC go take it all the way.

Clemson might be the weakest team in the playoff this year. Only Washington, if they stay in the hunt, is more suspect IMO.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Clemson might be the weakest team in the playoff this year. Only Washington, if they stay in the hunt, is more suspect IMO.
You may be right, though with that offense they will always be in the hunt, but the D has to be better though I am not sure how well anyone else throws the ball because VT shredded them. Never thought I would see that. I know we clocked VT, but I suspect they had one of those college kid games that Tech seems to have about once a year. Everybody develops two left feet and five thumbs for no reason at all. If Clemson can figure out how to stop those moments when gimmick plays shock them --- not necessarily gimmicks, but surprises such as the onsides kickoff by Alabama when Clemson's offense was rolling over them, and last night's fake punt when Clemson was threatening to blow VT out before most people got sat down -- I think they will give as good as they get. Watson assures them of being competitive. I look forward to the playoffs, though, and will pull for the ACC again.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Watching the Navy game with their QB on the sideline in crutches - this is why no matter who we have starting this offense will always need a second QB capable of coming in and running the show.

Fwiw, the kid playing QB all year for Navy was their 2nd string guy at the start of the season.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, the kid playing QB all year for Navy was their 2nd string guy at the start of the season.
Worth is really a textbook example of why it does not necessarily require a 4-star whiz to QB the system. Not very fast, with some size, but runs midline and option very well and very quickly. I haven't seen him throw enough to know if he can pass at all.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Worth is really a textbook example of why it does not necessarily require a 4-star whiz to QB the system. Not very fast, with some size, but runs midline and option very well and very quickly. I haven't seen him throw enough to know if he can pass at all.

On Worth--I have seen him pass some.In what I saw he threw 4 balls in 1 game and all we on the button.- 3 were over 15 yds downfield. In the ND game he threw an inside short-button hook on 3rd down and almost never have seen a Tech QB throw.Sealed game for Navy. The announcers said he was a Sr practicing for 3 yrs to get ready.wow

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
On Worth--I have seen him pass some.In what I saw he threw 4 balls in 1 game and all we on the button.- 3 were over 15 yds downfield. In the ND game he threw an inside short-button hook on 3rd down and almost never have seen a Tech QB throw.Sealed game for Navy. The announcers said he was a Sr practicing for 3 yrs to get ready.wow
Couple navy lb are in pilot training here in pensacola. They were over for the temple navy game and I asked them about their experiences playing at navy. They said navy has a massive scout program which drills the defenses in the opponents offense.
Since graduation both have lost lots of muscle so they can fit in plane. said it took many years of conditioning and practice before u see the field. Zero errors are allowed as the margin of victory is small.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Couple navy lb are in pilot training here in pensacola. They were over for the temple navy game and I asked them about their experiences playing at navy. They said navy has a massive scout program which drills the defenses in the opponents offense.
Since graduation both have lost lots of muscle so they can fit in plane. said it took many years of conditioning and practice before u see the field. Zero errors are allowed as the margin of victory is small.
Thanks for sharing. Always interesting to alum athletes and get their perspective once being getting out

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow

CPJ said at radio show earlier this year that the 2014 OL got a lot of credit that was actually due to the skill players. He also said at that same show that the current (i.e., 2016) OL might already be as good as the 2014 OL.

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
Is anyone else reminded of Jordan Lynch, the QB from Northern Illinois a few years back, when they watch him play? I hope he can have that type of season for us but just watching Matthew Jordan I can't help but be reminded of Lynch

alagold

Helluva Engineer
CPJ said at radio show earlier this year that the 2014 OL got a lot of credit that was actually due to the skill players. He also said at that same show that the current (i.e., 2016) OL might already be as good as the 2014 OL.
Until we can get 5 yds on EVERY Bback dive behind a guard ,the idea that this line is up to '14 is ludicrous.In fact we really can't run anywhere nearly as well up middle now even vs uva not to mention uga.The real gains were outside. not inside the tackles..

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Until we can get 5 yds on EVERY Bback dive behind a guard ,the idea that this line is up to '14 is ludicrous.In fact we really can't run anywhere nearly as well up middle now even vs uva not to mention uga.The real gains were outside. not inside the tackles..

Arguable and you are focusing on a single facet of our offense. Our pass pro was better in 16 than 14 IMO. Our aback blocking was better in 14, that factors into inside runs also.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow

A lot of the gains are on the outside because that is where CPJ feels Thomas is more effective.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Nobody gets five yards on every single carry. Nobody.