Can Jordan last a whole season?

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Tevin never looked dynamic either. But I'd take another TW in a heartbeat.
Really? When you could have Nesbitt or Thomas? I don't understand the love for TW. He was the definition of "fine." He didn't have much help on those teams, but I think it's very telling how much harder other players seemed to play when Vad Lee would come in for a few series at a time. TW ran the option well. He also threw lame ducks to MTSU and looked overwhelmed more than once in the face of big time competition. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the appeal of TW. If that's the ceiling for our QB's next year, we're in trouble...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Really? When you could have Nesbitt or Thomas? I don't understvand the love for TW. He was the definition of "fine." He didn't have much help on those teams, but I think it's very telling how much harder other players seemed to play when Vad Lee would come in for a few series at a time. TW ran the option well. He also threw lame ducks to MTSU and looked overwhelmed more than once in the face of big time competition. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the appeal of TW. If that's the ceiling for our QB's next year, we're in trouble...
Tevin got better every year. His sr year ranks up with the best of any other qb we've had and with a much weaker supporting cast.

Foxyg

Jolly Good Fellow
Tevin had the unfortunate fate of quarterbacking our team without a Jon Dwyer and Bey-Bey Thomas, while simultaneously suffering from having Al Groh as our d-coordinator. He wasn't quite the warrior that Nesbitt was, and didn't have the speed that JT does, but he was probably the best decision maker of all three. He was a lot better than people gave him credit for.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Really? When you could have Nesbitt or Thomas? I don't understand the love for TW. He was the definition of "fine." He didn't have much help on those teams, but I think it's very telling how much harder other players seemed to play when Vad Lee would come in for a few series at a time. TW ran the option well. He also threw lame ducks to MTSU and looked overwhelmed more than once in the face of big time competition. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see the appeal of TW. If that's the ceiling for our QB's next year, we're in trouble...

Look at the production of the offense Tevin's senior year. He may not have looked like much, but he operated the offense fantastically and that's how you know if the QB is doing his job.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Tevin got better every year. His sr year ranks up with the best of any other qb we've had and with a much weaker supporting cast.
Lots of guys get better every year without ever becoming "Good." The only QB I'd choose him over from the last 20 yrs. is R----- B---. MAYBE AJ Suggs. I went back and looked at these "great" stats his senior yr. 3.9 YPC on the ground and 9.1 YPA aren't great by any measure. 20 rushing TD's is fairly impressive, but a lot of those were from close in. JT threw for 2x the touchdowns over his career with one more interception. Again, TW was "fine." But this idea that he was somehow a difference maker in the vein of a JT or Nesbitt is simply inaccurate.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Look at the production of the offense Tevin's senior year. He may not have looked like much, but he operated the offense fantastically and that's how you know if the QB is doing his job.
And GT got obliterated by u(sic)ga, BYU, clemson, and MTSU. Say what you want to about his stats, but he played small in big moments. Other than Clemson in 2011, I can't think of a game he changed on his own. I can think of multiple examples for JT, Nesbitt, and Vad.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't dislike Tevin and I wish him well in whatever he wants to do. But to act like his performance as a starter is something to aspire to, rather than the bare minimum of what's necessary to get by with our schedule is irresponsible. I get that he ran the option well, but you've got to make plays sometimes when nothing is there. Tevin wasn't capable of that. Not everyone is. It doesn't make him a bad person, it just doesn't make him some great player to be aspired to...

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
And GT got obliterated by u(sic)ga, BYU, clemson, and MTSU. Say what you want to about his stats, but he played small in big moments. Other than Clemson in 2011, I can't think of a game he changed on his own. I can think of multiple examples for JT, Nesbitt, and Vad.
??
The offense scored 28 against MTSU and 31 against clemson. That's hardly getting obliterated.

And, I guess we have a different opinion of a QB's job in this offense. IMO, the QB's job is to get the offense into the right play, and get the ball moved up and down the field, whether by him, or somebody else.

He did a fine job of that, so to me, he was a good QB.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
We got blown out in those games. And the narrative that Washington didn't have any help is a little thin, too. He had David Sims, Zack Laskey. Robbie Godhigh, Orwin Smith, Tony Zenon, and Brod Snoody, amongst others, so the idea that he was out there on his own is a little shaky, too. Look, again, there's only one former GT QB I'd run off the road to hit with my car, and it's not Tevin. But to act like he did anything in the same ballpark for this team that Justin Thomas or Josh Nesbitt did is just silly. Go watch the Orange Bowl from 2014 and honestly ask yourself if you really think TW was physically capable of making some of the electrifying runs JT did in that game. Or against the Dwags saturday or in 2014. Getting pre-snap alignment right is fine, but in order to beat the Clemsons and VT's and u(sic)ga's of the world, there are times when you have to do more. TW wasn't capable of that.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
?? TW didn't play defense, so he's not responsible for the blow out. The offense played well in those games. And of course he was not capable of making some of the runs that JT did, but he ran the offense smoother, and so maybe wouldn't have had to.

Frankly, I'd take JT over Tevin as well, but that's not saying a whole ton. He was a very good QB for you guys, and if you have Tevin washington as your quarterback every year, you are going to win a lot of games.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
?? TW didn't play defense, so he's not responsible for the blow out. The offense played well in those games. And of course he was not capable of making some of the runs that JT did, but he ran the offense smoother, and so maybe wouldn't have had to.

Frankly, I'd take JT over Tevin as well, but that's not saying a whole ton. He was a very good QB for you guys, and if you have Tevin washington as your quarterback every year, you are going to win a lot of games.
Then why didn't we win more games when he was Quarterbacking?

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck

The offense didn't play well against BYU. They played horribly the second half vs. MTSU. Again, if you want heady and steady, Tevin is your guy. I'd prefer explosive playmaking.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If you'd rather have "heady and steady," that's fine. I prefer talent. Tevin was limited. We can do much better.
Every qb has limitations. You don't think JT has limitations?

1. We can't run the whole offense because he can't run the midline or qb follow. Those two plays open up an entire sequence of play calling as it forces the defense to adjust. We have much less of a chess game when we can't run that basic part of the offense.
2. JT is also short. He has trouble seeing down field. He doesn't see receivers running free all the time.
3. Also, we can't seem to get 4th and short anymore. Was that a problem with Tevin? Almost never. (with one notable exception, ugghh)
4. JT often times tries to make more out of a play instead of taking what's given. Sometimes it works out, but most of the time he loses extra yards or the ball.

Now you made me hate on one of my favorite players. Thanks a lot.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Im pretty sure you and Rock are both wrong. Even going back to Miami last year MJ had the option to pitch or keep and tended to keep, especially back then. I think his reads have gotten much better since then. We ran a lot of QB follows with him this year, especially vs VT, but that's not the same as running option and being told to keep.

lol.. I have an inside track to info but I'm wrong..

ok

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Ya Mr Insider....u have bad inside info. Go put salve on your butthurt.

lol.. why am I butthurt?
no reason to be.
Let's review my MR. Insider info...
I told you Byerly was done. check
I told you he wasn't coming back . check
and a few others....

but I am wrong.. got it.