Bracket Challenge

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That plus the call wasn't that bad. Bang-bang play, could've gone either way.

And Carter can miss me with all the emotion about that being his last game at Duke or w/e. Newsflash dude, you're a freshman! You can just come back next year!!

Honestly, I relished in his tears!!! He cost us DLab (at least in my eyes) **** Dook and all their players and staff.

Agreed though, it wasn't that bad of a call, he was slightly moving to his left, not completely set.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Agree on Allen peaking as a FR. Will still likely go 1st round but after his FR year he would've been a lotto pick.

Allen peaked as a soph. He hardly played as a freshman and really had his coming out party, ironically enough, in the championship game. I think there was no way he'd have been drafted after his freshman year. There was obviously talent there but he just didn't play. Now as a soph is when he really showed out and should have struck while the iron was hot.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think the NCAA and NBA will do something in the near future to greatly reduce, if not eliminate, the current one and done mess. When that happens there will be coaches screaming that it isn't fair to end it completely when they do not have three years of recruits banked on their rosters who could have been playing had it not been for those one year stars.

These kids like Bagley and Carter have perverted the whole idea of college basketball being about college students who happened to be good at basketball. Carter is a smart kid. You don't graduate from Pace and not have a decent educational foundation. If he had to stay in school for three years he might have still chosen Duke and been a key man for them for his entire career. That said, there is too much money in the NBA to simply shrug your shoulders about the draft. I do not fault him one moment.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While it is definitely fair to say the Duke FR aren't really FR any more, they also still trail in overall experience by quite alot.
in the Kansas game Graham had over 3,000 min coming into this season, Mykhaliuk over 1,700, Vick around 1,000 and Newman over 1,000 before sitting out a year after transferring from Miss St.
That is experience that simply can't be made up in one year as they all played min similar to the Duke or KY FR, but had already banked quite a bit of time.

Villanova had 5 players with 1,500 to over 2,000 min of experience coming into this season, Loyola had 5 guys with significant experience coming into this season. Michigan 3 captains had 2 guys with almost 3,000 min coming into the season and a third with 1,500.

I think it is a balancing act. You have to have some talent, but if you lack some experience of how to handle the ups and downs and the stress of the season and Tourney it is likely detrimental.

Of the 20 starters in the Final Four, only 3 are FR and none are the primary player(s) on their team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Allen peaked as a soph. He hardly played as a freshman and really had his coming out party, ironically enough, in the championship game. I think there was no way he'd have been drafted after his freshman year. There was obviously talent there but he just didn't play. Now as a soph is when he really showed out and should have struck while the iron was hot.

Ah, ok. I do recall that now.

And, hey, thanks for the correction. I don't mind being fact-checked at all.

(y)

{Marks lv20gt onto the (s)hit-list ...}

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
While it is definitely fair to say the Duke FR aren't really FR any more, they also still trail in overall experience by quite alot.
in the Kansas game Graham had over 3,000 min coming into this season, Mykhaliuk over 1,700, Vick around 1,000 and Newman over 1,000 before sitting out a year after transferring from Miss St.
That is experience that simply can't be made up in one year as they all played min similar to the Duke or KY FR, but had already banked quite a bit of time.

Villanova had 5 players with 1,500 to over 2,000 min of experience coming into this season, Loyola had 5 guys with significant experience coming into this season. Michigan 3 captains had 2 guys with almost 3,000 min coming into the season and a third with 1,500.

I think it is a balancing act. You have to have some talent, but if you lack some experience of how to handle the ups and downs and the stress of the season and Tourney it is likely detrimental.

Of the 20 starters in the Final Four, only 3 are FR and none are the primary player(s) on their team.
That, and the extra years to develop their bodies

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck

I get it and all but rlly its the colleges that bring in the money not specific players...if duke didnt have any of the 1 and dones cameron indoor would still be packed every game. Same with Kentucky, UNC, Kansas etc etc. The fans are fans of the school not the players. People would still watch the tourny no matter who is in the uniform. No ones making anyone go to school..

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just lost a little respect for JJ with the field hands comment.
I do not agree that college athletes should be paid, but JJ has a legitimate point and his "field hands" phrase is appropriate for his argument. There are reasonable points to be made on both sides of this issue. It is important to respect the people making those points.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The ACC team lost to the MEAC last night in the 3 on 3 tournament.

They play the WAC today

They got off to a hot start, dumping the ball in to Geben, but waited too long to realize they should play at least a little bit of defense. MEAC came back, took a big lead, and ended it after an ACC comeback that was too little, too late.

GT_EE78

Banned
I do not agree that college athletes should be paid, but JJ has a legitimate point and his "field hands" phrase is appropriate for his argument. There are reasonable points to be made on both sides of this issue. It is important to respect the people making those points.
but we shouldn't respect those who use "race baiting" and "identity politics" to make their points. He could have easily made an argument for paying something to college athletes without the "identity politics" . I suspect that with exception of elites who are headed toward a pro payday that most are very happy to get free education,room and board.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
but we shouldn't respect those who use "race baiting" and "identity politics" to make their points. He could have easily made an argument for paying something to college athletes without the "identity politics" . I suspect that with exception of elites who are headed toward a pro payday that most are very happy to get free education,room and board.
I think most athletes are very happy to get a free education in exchange for playing a sport they love. That is not the point.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
My only comment is that I truly wish those who want to be paid for playing a sport should go straight to professional basketball, at some level. Leave college sports out of the professional game. Idealistic, I know... just my opinion.

I do agree that the colleges make the money, not the players. I just don’t believe that the Kansas City Monarchs basketball team would draw either the live gate or TV ratings the Kansas Jayhawks draw, even if every player left the college for the pro team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This holds true for Moe Wagner, Duncan Robinson, Richardson & Custer on Loyola, Svi Mikahailuk, Donte DiVincenzo, & Colin Gillespie.