Bracket Challenge

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Since KY and Duke embraced the one and done model starting a decade ago, both have 1 title.That's great, but it also shows that just having the most talented team is not enough to win the title consistently. Though Duke can still get to #2 in this Tourney.

Calapari seems to be backing down somewhat on the one and done model while K seems to be embracing it. As few as 3 of UK's 8 frosh may declare for the draft. One of those is Alexander who was ranked 7th of the 8 coming in, but had a better season than expected. None of next year's 3 freshmen are top 10 ranked players. Cal kept saying that inexperience was their problem this year. I don't think he wants to endure that again.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Calapari seems to be backing down somewhat on the one and done model while K seems to be embracing it. As few as 3 of UK's 8 frosh may declare for the draft. One of those is Alexander who was ranked 7th of the 8 coming in, but had a better season than expected. None of next year's 3 freshmen are top 10 ranked players. Cal kept saying that inexperience was their problem this year. I don't think he wants to endure that again.

Having 8 fresh on the roster does say a lot doesn’t it?

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Cal is a used car salesman. He will always spin his current situation to sound like exactly what he intended it to be.

Lose early in NCAAT, but have lots of NBA picks? That's really his goal.
Win NCAAT? It's all about the rings.
Miss out on all your top recruiting prospects? We don't really want OADs
etc etc etc

His snake oil BS gets old, but as long as he keeps underperforming, I'm ok with him flapping gums

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Cal is a used car salesman. He will always spin his current situation to sound like exactly what he intended it to be.

etc etc etc

His snake oil BS gets old, but as long as he keeps underperforming, I'm ok with him flapping gums

You won't find a coach who is more concerned about his players than Calapari. Here is an example: Bucknell had the highest APR in tournament. Who was number 2? Kentucky. The one and dones leave academically eligible. Calapari makes sure they go to class. You can say "it's just UK", but UK isn't different academically for athletes than 95% of the schools in the NCAA tournament--and I'll include Duke in that 95%.

I used to question him, but as I looked closer, the guy is a good coach who cares about the kids--seemingly moreso than he cares about what UK fans think about season results.

The negativity about Cal is a combination of jealousy and uninformed opinion.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
You won't find a coach who is more concerned about his players than Calapari. Here is an example: Bucknell had the highest APR in tournament. Who was number 2? Kentucky. The one and dones leave academically eligible. Calapari makes sure they go to class. You can say "it's just UK", but UK isn't different academically for athletes than 95% of the schools in the NCAA tournament--and I'll include Duke in that 95%.

I used to question him, but as I looked closer, the guy is a good coach who cares about the kids--seemingly moreso than he cares about what UK fans think about season results.

The negativity about Cal is a combination of jealousy and uninformed opinion.

So are Final Fours @ 2 different schools being vacated uninformed opinion? Please advise.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

etc etc etc

I mean, if we're gonna rag on Cal, we should point out another school that thinks they're a "brotherhood" (they're not) and that they're recruiting the same players they always have, it's just that they're now 1 & dones (ok, sure).

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Finally played like themselves
I agree. FSU (Hamilton) terribly mismanaged the end of the game last night. Did the players on the court know which Michigan players they wanted to foul? They got lucky when Abdur-Rahkman missed 2 of 3 from the line because he is a good FT shooter. There was a debate about whether they should have fouled at 11 seconds, but Robinson is one of the best FT shooters in the country.

Deleted member 2897

Well, I gradually moved all the way up to #3. Modern Miracle moves on. However, I am here to sadly say there is about a 1% chance I win, since I have Kentucky over Duke in the finals. Its so silly - of all the brackets in my entire 45 years of life, this was the year a team like Kentucky could have breezed into the final 4. Their entire region is garbage. Ridiculous. Kentucky, Michigan, Villanova, Duke as my final 4 - 5, 3, 1, 2 seeds. Stupid. But it nearly happened. Crazy. Oh well. And an 11 in the final 4, LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Most putrid region ever. A 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 all getting knocked out before the sweet 16, LOLOLOLOLOL.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Before last night's game, Loyola-Chicago had won three NCAA Tournament games by a total of 4 points. Short of OT games, that is almost as close as it gets. Then they blowout K-State. This helps to put Miami's loss to them in perspective.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Many were ready to chastise UK for an easy path to the Final Four.

Michigan's path so far: 14, 6, 7, 9

Next up? 11

Said another way, Michigan may get to the National Championship game while having played 1 team that ended the year in the top 25 (Houston at #21, whom they beat on a buzzer beater).

Can't fault them for winning the games in front of them, but is this the easiest path to a national championship game ever?

crut

Helluva Engineer
Many were ready to chastise UK for an easy path to the Final Four.

Michigan's path so far: 14, 6, 7, 9

Next up? 11

Said another way, Michigan may get to the National Championship game while having played 1 team that ended the year in the top 25 (Houston at #21, whom they beat on a buzzer beater).

Can't fault them for winning the games in front of them, but is this the easiest path to a national championship game ever?
Man, Houston shoulda won that game.