Bracket Challenge

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Duke choking with 56.5 left in OT. Down 3. Should have won in regulation. Should never allow the three for the tie, should have fouled. Then goobered up the last possession.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Personally i think Duke's Top 5 are all gone
Bagley, Carter, Duval, Trent and Allen (who is a SR).

I bet their end up signing EJ Montgomery and have an all new starting 5 with Jones, Reddish, Barrett, Williamson and Montgomery.

Ramblingon

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally i think Duke's Top 5 are all gone
Bagley, Carter, Duval, Trent and Allen (who is a SR).

I bet their end up signing EJ Montgomery and have an all new starting 5 with Jones, Reddish, Barrett, Williamson and Montgomery.

True. That's the way Duke now operates. No more development, but a real quick stepping stone for the team, not just a player or two. I'll take Loyola's story any day.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
interesting that this came from DBR

https://www.dukebasketballreport.co...2018-kansas-knocks-duke-out-in-overtime-85-81

In the end, Duke ran into the same problem it ran into in most of its losses: more experienced and tougher teams knew what to do in these types of games. Duke’s freshmen are gifted - wildly gifted really - but you can’t replicate experience. When you look at the Final Four - Michigan, Loyola, Villanova and Kansas - they’re all vastly more experienced than Duke. It’s just very tough to get past that imbalance. Talent is critical, but obviously, it’s not everything.

GT_EE78

Banned
hard to feel sorry for Coach K cuz he gets more than his fair share of calls but duke was robbed by the refs, Malik Newnan clearly charged when Carter was fouled out by the refs egregious call. duke should have had the ball, a 1 pt lead and carter still in the game with less than 3min to go.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
hard to feel sorry for Coach K cuz he gets more than his fair share of calls but duke was robbed by the refs, Malik Newnan clearly charged when Carter was fouled out by the refs egregious call. duke should have had the ball, a 1 pt lead and carter still in the game with less than 3min to go.

Meh. Was Duke so ...

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer

So for every 100 charge calls they get one goes against them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
In the end, Duke ran into the same problem it ran into in most of its losses: more experienced and tougher teams knew what to do in these types of games. Duke’s freshmen are gifted - wildly gifted really - but you can’t replicate experience. When you look at the Final Four - Michigan, Loyola, Villanova and Kansas - they’re all vastly more experienced than Duke. It’s just very tough to get past that imbalance. Talent is critical, but obviously, it’s not everything.

I somewhat disagree at least in this game. At this point in the season there aren't really any freshmen, and most of the Duke players who played have as much experience, in terms of minutes plays, as many rising juniors. All 4 of dukes starting freshmen have 1000 minutes or more, or close enough. For comparison that is more than Lagerald Vick had prior to this year or Mykhailiuk had his first two years. In this game, the Duke freshmen had the game experience you'd expect from rising juniors. I know it's not that clear cut and having time to reflect on experience helps, but I didn't really get the feeling while watching things that Duke was making a bunch of freshmen mistakes.

IMO the difference in that game was Duke's senior, Allen, not playing all that well. Certainly outplayed by Kansas' Newman. When you're facing a team as good as Kansas is you really need your best player to step up. Now maybe having more experience elsewhere could have helped cover that but I'm not so sure.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
That plus the call wasn't that bad. Bang-bang play, could've gone either way.

And Carter can miss me with all the emotion about that being his last game at Duke or w/e. Newsflash dude, you're a freshman! You can just come back next year!!
Perhaps Wendell is smarter than some of his predecessors and prefers to not go the Grayson Allen route. You know, peaking in the NCAAT as a freshman and then giving up millions of dollars for the next three years as your draft stock slides.

It was kind of silly to cry at that point in the contest too. It was anyone's game and the outcome was nowhere near decided. Leads me to believe the crying was just a little immaturity and selfishness seeping thru, and not much to do with the end of his Duke career. The contrast between him and Azubuike who also fouled out couldn't have been more stark.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Perhaps Wendell is smarter than some of his predecessors and prefers to not go the Grayson Allen route. You know, peaking in the NCAAT as a freshman and then giving up millions of dollars for the next three years as your draft stock slides.

It was kind of silly to cry at that point in the contest too. It was anyone's game and the outcome was nowhere near decided. Leads me to believe the crying was just a little immaturity and selfishness seeping thru, and not much to do with the end of his Duke career. The contrast between him and Azubuike who also fouled out couldn't have been more stark.

This post is just dripping with Duke-hate ..... I love it.

Agree on Allen peaking as a FR. Will still likely go 1st round but after his FR year he would've been a lotto pick.