Bracket Challenge

GT_EE78

Banned
Congrats to @DH9387 for clinching the GTSwarm pool. Picking 'Nova + Michigan in the 'ship is just salt in our collective wounds.
and a big thanks to mcamish maniac for setting this up! its always fun even if your team decides to be the one to lose the first 1-16 matchup.you had an impressive first round. hope i can remember all those advantages of hindsight when its time for next years brackets.

GT_EE78

Banned
I think the plan is to have 4* talent with some high potential 3* as well.
That's what i get when I listen to Pastner. What i don't expect to get is 5* talent.
maybe your ears work better than mine, by the time the sounds filter in i just hear coachspeak for "don't be so optimistic" and "give me more time". I think i'd prefer Capel's attitude for salesmanship even if its baloney that he thinks he can recruit with the elites. On the other hand if cjp can get one of each every year then thats a solid 8man rotation in the 4th year. After waiting now for 14 years to see a winning acc record, how painful can it be to be patient for two more years? (sure hope he's quietly working his butt off to get josh to come back and find a big transfer)

Deleted member 2897

and a big thanks to mcamish maniac for setting this up! its always fun even if your team decides to be the one to lose the first 1-16 matchup.you had an impressive first round. hope i can remember all those advantages of hindsight when its time for next years brackets.

I was in 1st place (or close to it, can't remember) going into this weekend, but I had literally nobody left. I fell all the way to like #20 after just 2 games Saturday. HA! Good luck to all those who picked Villanova (don't think anybody picked Michigan). Even if you pick a 1 seed like most people do, you still have to pick the correct 1 seed!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you look at who they are recruiting. Most of the offers to the class of 2019 are to 4* players with a couple of high 3* kids they like.

That is what I expect to see most years.

Villanova is another example of a get old, stay old type of program (like ND and UVA in the ACC) if you look over their recruiting this decade. Alot of 4 star kids - they have pulled a couple of 5 stars in Brunson and Spellman - Both Top 25 types, not Top 10 types, and then a few 3 stars as well.
They have 2 4* and a 5* coming in next season.
This year's FR class included a Top 50 kid, a Top 100 kid and a 3* kid
2016 included the 5* Spellman along with Divencenzo who was a Top 150 kid and Tim Delaney and Dylan Painter who were 3-star
2015 was Brunson
2014 had Booth and Bridges who were both Top 100 kids.
2013 had Top 100 kids Jenkins and Hart.

They also had 5 players on their roster this year who redshirted - Paschall had to as a transfer from Fordham.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I think you look at who they are recruiting. Most of the offers to the class of 2019 are to 4* players with a couple of high 3* kids they like.

That is what I expect to see most years.

Villanova is another example of a get old, stay old type of program (like ND and UVA in the ACC) if you look over their recruiting this decade. Alot of 4 star kids - they have pulled a couple of 5 stars in Brunson and Spellman - Both Top 25 types, not Top 10 types, and then a few 3 stars as well.
They have 2 4* and a 5* coming in next season.
This year's FR class included a Top 50 kid, a Top 100 kid and a 3* kid
2016 included the 5* Spellman along with Divencenzo who was a Top 150 kid and Tim Delaney and Dylan Painter who were 3-star
2015 was Brunson
2014 had Booth and Bridges who were both Top 100 kids.
2013 had Top 100 kids Jenkins and Hart.

They also had 5 players on their roster this year who redshirted - Paschall had to as a transfer from Fordham.
Before the Villanova "get old, stay old" train gets too far down the tracks... I think if you look historically, over the last few years Villanova is not intentionally bypassing 1-and-done players. Rather, they recruited the best possible players they've ever been able to get committed there. The examples of the last 4-5 years supports that.

Jay Wright has been at Villanova 17 years. I think he's produced something like 6 NBA draft picks. The players he's getting now will nearly double that number.

Next year, Villanova has 2 top 50 players coming, including Cole Swider who was offered by Duke among others... that team who some allege only targets 1-and-done's now. The other had big offers as well.

Also not coincidentally, Villanova's rise almost directly coincides with the rebranded Big East.

upload_2018-4-2_11-57-41.png

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Approximate six-year value of the 2018 units on a per-conference basis:

ACC: $35.3 million
Big 12: $31.9 million
SEC: $26.9 million
Big East: $21.8 million
Big Ten: $20.2 million
American: $8.4 million
Atlantic 10: $8.4 million
Missouri Valley: $8.4 million
Mountain West: $6.7 million
Pac-12: $5.1 million
West Coast: $5.1 million

Excerpt from:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...in-units-earned-to-make-30-million-over-time/

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Excerpt from:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04...in-units-earned-to-make-30-million-over-time/
Perhaps someone can verify the math. How about a break down by team? I nominate @ilovetheoption. #NeverTooSoon

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I got $35.7MM if what i pulled from hero sports is correct (21 appearances x 1.7MM per). I would probably trust ESPNJ though, he is usually pretty spot on.

From this tournament that is roughly $397K per program/per year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

Excerpt from:
The SEC is doomed!! They'll never be able to keep up with us!!

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I got $35.7MM if what i pulled from hero sports is correct (21 appearances x 1.7MM per). I would probably trust ESPNJ though, he is usually pretty spot on.

From this tournament that is roughly $397K per program/per year.

That is Jon Wilner's (Pac 12 reporter out of bay area) estimate based upon the known unit amount for this year plus an estimated increase per year. Click the link for more info.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Michigan had a good game plan, just couldn't keep up for 40 min.
Brunson had his worst game of the entire season. But Divincenzo was unreal. His block late was insane.
Nova was below avg in both number of made threes and % made and still won comfortably. They really killed MI on the boards.
You could really see Nova pick up the intensity about halfway through the first half.