Bowling Green Postgame

Scubapro

Banned
I cant stand how we play 10 -15 yards off. Its BS to say it was in the game plan to let them do that...Bowling Green's O coordinator should have never run the ball. They could have played pitch and catch against us all game.
Don't get me wrong. I am happy that we took care of business but that soft zone will get us beat like a drum against UL and Puke.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I cant stand how we play 10 -15 yards off. Its BS to say it was in the game plan to let them do that...Bowling Green's O coordinator should have never run the ball. They could have played pitch and catch against us all game.
Don't get me wrong. I am happy that we took care of business but that soft zone will get us beat like a drum against UL and Puke.

We definitely were playing the short bubble screen and quick slants poorly for most of the game today. If I remember correctly we started to finally figure out the timing on defending it better moving into the 4th Q but still have work to do.

CPJ explicitly said he knew CNW was frustrated by some things as we don’t have our whole playbook installed yet, so maybe he has some stuff for those quick three step drop routes we haven’t got to yet. A little troubling that the players all knew this offense functioned off those passes if we didn’t put in a game plan to defend it but that’s all guesswork there.

On the positives we got take aways and stops. Which in most any other season is all we have needed from the defense. I am still optimistic about watching this defense continue to develop and think we can be a good football team with a fine record (8/5 by end of year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am curious about this too. Didn’t I read something saying to be in your seat by 11:40 for the flyover? I think that I did this. Maybe this was just a drill to see if people could actually get to their seat before kickoff, given the proper motivation.

Flyovers are always tentative. They can be cancelled for any reason. IMO they shouldn't take place at all except in rare circumstances, but that's another subject.

Scubapro

Banned
We definitely were playing the short bubble screen and quick slants poorly for most of the game today. If I remember correctly we started to finally figure out the timing on defending it better moving into the 4th Q but still have work to do.

CPJ explicitly said he knew CNW was frustrated by some things as we don’t have our whole playbook installed yet, so maybe he has some stuff for those quick three step drop routes we haven’t got to yet. A little troubling that the players all knew this offense functioned off those passes if we didn’t put in a game plan to defend it but that’s all guesswork there.

On the positives we got take aways and stops. Which in most any other season is all we have needed from the defense. I am still optimistic about watching this defense continue to develop and think we can be a good football team with a fine record (8/5 by end of year).

I am not as optimistic BG was a really bad team. We made it easy for them to play to their only strength of a quick passing and getting in rhythm. IMO we needed to work on jamming the receivers at the LOS and play tight man coverage.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I am not as optimistic BG was a really bad team. We made it easy for them to play to their only strength of a quick passing and getting in rhythm. IMO we needed to work on jamming the receivers at the LOS and play tight man coverage.

Agreed that I would like to see us do more to throw off route timing. It can be tough when the ball comes out as quickly as it was. I also am generally cautious about doing too much at the LoS and relying too heavily on our dbacks in single coverage. That being said we will need to continue to develop those guys if we wanna be competitive in the back half of this season.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Also... been lots of discussion about scheduling in other threads this year, and I think this game puts that logic on display. Start every season with 3 games like this at home, and start 3-0 every year... Get everyone into a groove, get your positions settled, correct mistakes, and get ready for conference. Bowling Green out of the MAC is a perfect non-con opponent.. Decent athletes, FBS level, etc. Play Bowling Green, East Carolina, Charlotte, Florida International, etc every season and destroy them.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Also... been lots of discussion about scheduling in other threads this year, and I think this game puts that logic on display. Start every season with 3 games like this at home, and start 3-0 every year... Get everyone into a groove, get your positions settled, correct mistakes, and get ready for conference. Bowling Green out of the MAC is a perfect non-con opponent.. Decent athletes, FBS level, etc. Play Bowling Green, East Carolina, Charlotte, Florida International, etc every season and destroy them.

And try to avoid scheduling games at the same time as the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff (Washington vs. Auburn) and the Tour Championship at East Lake.

Deleted member 2897

Exactly, it’s called the Duke approach to scheduling. Go 5-3 in the ACC and you’re almost assured of 8-4 seasons + a bowl game. We’ve only been below 4-4 in the ACC once in CPJs 10 seasons.

I’d rather have GT fans complaining about our schedule while we go 9-4 or 8-5 then play tough OOC games and even on the road and be clawing like hell for a 0.500 season. We always hve Clemson, Miami, Georgia...etc. we have a top 10 SOS most years which benefits us zero.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but don't be fooled. this game was Fool's Gold.
Giving up 400+ yds toBG with their 2/3% 3rd down success is not good at all.Look at pitt and clem scores and tell me we can compete enough TO WIN vs our foes coming starting this week without some SERIOUS upgrade in play..

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We didn’t get much pressure because they have a lot of 2 and 3 step drops to get the ball out quick. Not many teams are gonna get pressure on that. We had 2 sacks (1 was a forced fumble) and 5 QB hurry,
not to bad to be honest. We also had 6 TFL.
If they have 2-3 step drops for quick SHORT passes, we need to cover MUCH quicker or face-up at LOS..I thought Roof was back on sidelines at times.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry but don't be fooled. this game was Fool's Gold.
Giving up 400+ yds toBG with their 2/3% 3rd down success is not good at all.Look at pitt and clem scores and tell me we can compete enough TO WIN vs our foes coming starting this week without some SERIOUS upgrade in play..

I’m concerned too but BG’s offense has done pretty well this year. They put up 389 yards of offense (253 passing and 136 rushing) against Oregon (currently 4-1).