Bowling Green Postgame

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I wouldnt read to much in to the yardage. We played very vanilla on defense today and seemed more than willing to let them burn clock once we were up by more than 20. Its hard to blitz a 3 step drop team. We also scored quickly on offensemost of thr other teams that have beat bgsu were running the ball and taking a long time

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
In the post game interview, Johnson seemed pleased with the offense today.

I was impressed with Marshall's accuracy today. Timing much better. It seem to me he throws "rainbows". Is that because of arm strength or intended? Whatever, he was on the money today.

I was surprised in the first half that CNW was slow to react to #21 on the short post. I would look for Louisville to take note.

Personally, I am looking forward to Friday night.
The rainbows are concerning. On the completion to Lynch that sent him over 1000 yards, I couldn't help thinking that there was no way that pass would have been completed against anyone else on our schedule.

Techfiend

Georgia Tech Fan
It took 5 games, but we put together a complete effort on offense. I think TaQuon is finally getting over his injured toe, and it's showing on the field.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, they weren't very good and we beat them pretty badly.

The offense was pretty good and, once again, TaQuon showed that if you give him time to throw he can do the job. My only complaint = it took until the last half of the 2nd quarter to establish the dive. That made everything harder, but, once we got that going, all was good. I was encouraged to see Cooper play so much and so well. After the game Coach said he might move Lee back to OT and Will back to guard. A Lee-Braun-Cooper-Bryan-Marshall OL was what we thought we'd have from the get-go. If that can get established, with Quinney and Hansen and The Twins rotating in, it would bring us back to where we were supposed to be. But that's for the coaches to decide.

The D = so-so. However, as JGT above pointed out, we were not doing too much in the way of blitzing and seemed ok with them taking a lot of time to get down field. The second unit, if you can call anybody that the way we run D, played well. We do have to be ready for slants and such the rest of the year, but we are improving visibly.

Watched Louisville, VT, and Puke today. We continue to improve and we could beat all of them, though the Turkies would be a tough out. Let's hope we can get a little OL consistency and do just that.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We did what we were supposed to do today. I'll take it.

Hopefully Cooper is back enough to be the full time center. That is needed.
The D played better and I would call it adequate. Improving and a lot of tricks still to be seen with blitzing from the LB position in particular.

Overall nothing has changed from prior years. We will win if our offense outscores other teams. We have a chance to do that if our OL can get t0 where they dominate the LOS. Hopefully Cooper back helps a lot.

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
Very happy for a big win. D still not great, Carpenter excluded.

Does anyone know what happened to the black hawk flyover?

We sit in the upper end zone. It was odd that unlike other hero days in years past, the entire section next to us (218) was not filled with service people in fatigues. Instead it was COMPLETELY empty. Why didn’t they give those tix to some heroes?

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Happy that we didnt turn the ball over and the defense caused 3 turnovers. I am concerned that BG were able to throw those quick short passes with ease on us. Louisville can throw it as well. I think this is going to be a challenge on our young DBs. Also for some reason when teams go deep, I'm still seeing some of our DBs not turn their head to see where the ball is. I never played football but do coaches teach the DBs to turn their head and look for the ball?

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
What part of the game was this? I would like to go back and watch.

Stewart demolishes the safety that was running free would've been a hit at the line, but instead picked up 8 yards. I thought it was a block in the back from my seat, but he got in front of him and level the guy coming full speed. I know people like to dog on Stewart because of his abilities as a receiver, but that right there is why he starts. All around very good play, TQM made the read commit, pitched well, and blocked well especially with 9 in the box.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know what happened to the black hawk flyover?

I am curious about this too. Didn’t I read something saying to be in your seat by 11:40 for the flyover? I think that I did this. Maybe this was just a drill to see if people could actually get to their seat before kickoff, given the proper motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Stewart demolishes the safety that was running free would've been a hit at the line, but instead picked up 8 yards. I thought it was a block in the back from my seat, but he got in front of him and level the guy coming full speed. I know people like to dog on Stewart because of his abilities as a receiver, but that right there is why he starts. All around very good play, TQM made the read commit, pitched well, and blocked well especially with 9 in the box.

53 = good hustle down field but cut block beyond 5 could have been called.
Other ol 50 and ? = good hustle and grab block.

The defenders did not flow to the play-= they are not experienced w our offense.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am curious about this too. Didn’t I read something saying to be in your seat by 11:40 for the flyover? I think that I did this. Maybe this was just a drill to see if people could actually get to their seat before kickoff, given the proper motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was a GTFB post that said flyover cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Watched inside lb s using binoculars. At start of game they were a little closer to l o s but did not react till play was well underway, and seemed like they were told stay close together. Towards end of game 51 was getting up in the hole and stopping the rb. On a called max Blitz 12 must have gone wrong way as he and 2 other safety guys were in a scrum. Andy had an animated chalk talk and 12 listened. Hope he stays positive When 12 hits the runner or the pile he/it moves backword. Guy is a real talent.

Was glad to see 25 tre Jackson get some playing time. On one play looked like pj Davis as he quickly ran by the blocker into hole and hit runner like a 225 lb illegal parking tire clamp. Got big hi 5 s from Andy and lots of players.

At the end (after some of the aggressive defensive plays were run) the lb looked good.

In obvious passing situations we need to take 51 out and put in a bigger nickel back

Looks like we have more of d installed and I have hope for end of season
Thwg

RiseUpATL

Banned
When you're up 30 you need to work on things you struggle at like defending short passes and 3rd down defense.

We haven’t stopped that all year so I think it’s more that we really don’t have the horses at ILB (Brant Mitchell) to be effective in stopping those routes rather than we were just taking it easy on them. We have taken it easy on every opposing offense to this point.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
We haven’t stopped that all year so I think it’s more that we really don’t have the horses at ILB (Brant Mitchell) to be effective in stopping those routes rather than we were just taking it easy on them. We have taken it easy on every opposing offense to this point.
I don’t think we were taking it easy nor were we scheming to let them have the dink and dunk to run out the clock. This is what concerns me greatly.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I was encouraged to see Cooper play so much and so well. After the game Coach said he might move Lee back to OT and Will back to guard. A Lee-Braun-Cooper-Bryan-Marshall OL was what we thought we'd have from the get-go. If that can get established, with Quinney and Hansen and The Twins rotating in, it would bring us back to where we were supposed to be.
What’s the deal with W. Bryan? I saw him on the sidelines in uniform so that has me encouraged. I really want to see him back in the field.