Bowling Green Postgame

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Was lucky enough to have the cantina at the Lazy E to put the GT game on today. The lady told me she would because she would because she knew I was GT fan, because this is the 5th she saw me with Georgia Tech shirts, jacket and or hat on. [emoji16]

Very happy with the W.

The D does have lots of room for improvement. Wii be interesting to read others takes regarding the D.

Better pass protection today, but that might be due to the level of the competition.

Some option plays today too.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
We should've had a kickoff return touchdown if not for a weak penalty call. Scored on all 7 of the first 7 drives. For the offense passing looked a lot better, ran decently well against 11 men lined up 7 yards off, had a couple wonderful pitches. Defense made some stops especially in the redzone and got some turnovers. Just keep getting better. The good news is we're not playing perfect and can get so much better and showing improvement every week.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Today showed me we are a definite threat to win....the MAC. Not necessarily anything else.

It was nice to stop making costly mistakes....but until we start to beat Power 5 teams I will not feel much different. Our play calling was about as vanilla as it gets. No real changes in our offense, and it is an offense that has been entirely ineffective against Power 5 teams for a year and a half.....so I am very much in 'wait and see' mode.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We did what we should have done. I thought the defense was a little lackluster in the beginning of the game but found their groove shortly after that. Offense did pretty much whatever they wanted. Feels good to have a win again.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Did what we needed to do. Now, if we can pull out a W next Friday we could be ok to something! I have a felling Pass from Louisville is going to give us issues. We struggle with mobile qb’s. He’s no Lamar Jackson but he’s capable of ripping off big runs on us.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Was pleased with what I saw, They could not stop our O- no big surprise. Thought we might have played a little too soft on D at first, maybe by design. Thought TM played well, but TO looks and moves more like a " real" QB. Can they play well . on the road, under the lights ? IF , and it's a big if , they can get the monkey off their back with a win on the road , they can make something good out of the rest of the season. Realistically , they will have had almost 2 weeks to prepare for UL.

Josh H

Jolly Good Fellow
Attended the game. Lower west stands showed up. Very few empty seats. Can't say the same about the rest of the stadium. Oddly enough there was a contingent of students/greeks who started chanting "We want Oliver" after Taquon went out after losing his helmet. Sadly, most of them didn't stick around to actually see Oliver play later.

As far as the passing game, it was better, but still a dangerous throw down the middle into double (maybe triple) coverage where Qua became a defensive back. Dolphus had a nice catch. Oliver missed a 3rd down throw but, given the coverage he underthrew it which was a "safe" throw. In general Quon really has to loft his deep throws, which gives better talent time to recover. I don't think most P5 teams really have to respect the deep ball.

It was nice to see the rocket toss again. Can't remember the last time we ran it. Really opens up the red zone.

Not sure what to make of Oliver's long runs. He has wheels, for sure, but Bowling Green's defense was done.

All in all, it's a win and a fun day on the flats. We can beat Louisville on the road if we play a good game. If I was the coach I'd seriously consider a QB rotation similar to what we did with Vad and Tevin in Tevin's senior year, and possibly go with the hot hand, but I don't make millions of dollars, so I'll shut up :)