Bowling Green Postgame

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Also... been lots of discussion about scheduling in other threads this year, and I think this game puts that logic on display. Start every season with 3 games like this at home, and start 3-0 every year... Get everyone into a groove, get your positions settled, correct mistakes, and get ready for conference. Bowling Green out of the MAC is a perfect non-con opponent.. Decent athletes, FBS level, etc. Play Bowling Green, East Carolina, Charlotte, Florida International, etc every season and destroy them.

I respectfully disagree. We have played two cupcakes so far. I honestly don't know what you learn from these games. yes, the win is nice but the talent gap between us and them was like us vs. clemson. I didn't see anyone wearing a BG uniform who was better than our guy at his position. And these teams never see our offense so we always put up ridiculous numbers. I am in favor of limiting the twinkies to two maximum per year.

As far as bowling goes, while we think back fondly of our bowl streak given the last several years, remember CCG's teams? They always went to bowls but could never beat the big teams on their schedule and lost some bowl games to some pretty crappy teams. Going to bowls via scheduling is like putting lipstick on a pig imo.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Does anyone have real doubt that Oliver is a better runner from the QB position than TQM? What we saw against USF and Bowling Green is pretty interesting from Tobias.
Running by himself, no doubt. He’s got explosive speed once there’s daylight between him & the endzone. Hard to tell how he stacks up running the option or throwing because he seems to keep the ball even more than TQM.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Are the following statements true?

TQM is not the best running quarterback on the team
TQM is not the best passing quarterback on the team
TQM is the starting QB on the team

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Are the following statements true?

TQM is not the best running quarterback on the team
TQM is not the best passing quarterback on the team
TQM is the starting QB on the team

Im not sure we can draw that conclusion on the running QB. Im not sure thatvtqm wouldnt have done the same thing on those plays as oliver they were qb untouched to the endzone play. And in thr use game the play tqm went fown o. In the second half was the same play oliver lit it up with after a very large gain. Id say oliver and Marshall are about even with the ball in their hands oliver is a bit more of a slasher marshall is a bit more elusive.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Two more thoughts:

1) When a team completes a lot of short passes but can't run, as long as we are cooking on offense, I try not to panic. It is frustrating, but those kinds of offenses have a hard time getting to the end zone. Like us when we have drives but no big plays, you have to execute a whole bunch of times in row. A bad throw, a drop, a slip by the receiver, a holding call, a tipped ball, any number of things and you stall. If you do manage to get near the end zone, with no run game you often have to settle for field goals.

2) Some of us were worried about team spirit this week. Two close losses then a blowout at home then a game against a team with no name recognition. But I saw not a hint of that. The team was hustling, enthused, and altogether ready to play ball again. This is not a team which has given up on the season, and we can all be happy about that.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Also... been lots of discussion about scheduling in other threads this year, and I think this game puts that logic on display. Start every season with 3 games like this at home, and start 3-0 every year... Get everyone into a groove, get your positions settled, correct mistakes, and get ready for conference. Bowling Green out of the MAC is a perfect non-con opponent.. Decent athletes, FBS level, etc. Play Bowling Green, East Carolina, Charlotte, Florida International, etc every season and destroy them.

Booorrrrrring.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Hope I am wrong, but I still think we go
4-8
It took 5 games, but we put together a complete effort on offense. I think TaQuon is finally getting over his injured toe, and it's showing on the field.

If we dropped down a classification, we could win games like that every week!

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Win Chances for remaining games

Louisville - FPI 68.3% Atomic 60.3%
Duke- FPI 43.5% Atomic 47.8%
VT- FPI 26.3% Atomic 31.1%
NC- FPI 70.3% Atomic 65.1%
Miami- FPI 28.6% Atomic 37.8%
Virginia FPI 67.4% Atomic 67.0%
uga FPI- 6.4% Atomitc 7.1%

Both have us finishing 5-7. We always win and lose a game we shouldn't. I'm hoping we've already lost the game we shouldn't which would put us at 6-6. Reality we just need to focus on getting better every week. I can see 4-8 and 7-5 depending on which teams show up. A lot of ACC teams have looked as bad as we have at times. It's all about who puts it together in October.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Exactly, it’s called the Duke approach to scheduling. Go 5-3 in the ACC and you’re almost assured of 8-4 seasons + a bowl game. We’ve only been below 4-4 in the ACC once in CPJs 10 seasons.

I’d rather have GT fans complaining about our schedule while we go 9-4 or 8-5 then play tough OOC games and even on the road and be clawing like hell for a 0.500 season. We always hve Clemson, Miami, Georgia...etc. we have a top 10 SOS most years which benefits us zero.
Why not just drop down to FCS level, then you wouldn't have to be concerned about Clemson,Miami,UGA. No problems,no bowls.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
When we win up front our offense as a whole dominates. That happened against a bad BG team. Oliver looks better to me, but we won’t get to see if that really is the case against big time opponents. Alabama and Clemson, arguably the best 2 teams are playing the young guy over a vet but our 2-3 team can’t take that risk I guess... anyway, I think the defense is better or can be with continued improvement. I’m fine giving up plays here and there if we make some plays and create some turnovers. We need the OL to play well against ACC teams and we can probably win 6 maybe even 7 games this year. Gotta get some confidence rolling Friday.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Be very careful reading too much into this game. Tech paid $900,000 to BG to come down and get beat up.

Ouch! 900K! Are you serious? How much did we pay Middle Tennessee to come down and whoop us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk