Votes: 433 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 80 15.0%

• Total voters

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck
Are you kidding me? Chan Gailey hasn't coached for GT since 2007...and yet Chan Gailey's memory keeps popping up from the dead by someone several times a day.

CPJ may have resigned, but he ain't EVER going away. At least not on GT Swarm.

Many former coaches get mentioned, at least those that reside in our collective memory, even a couple with the first name Bill. Sadly, there are fewer and fewer who mention Bobby Dodd. Time catches up with all of us eventually.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm also on the side of him recruiting and not trying to answer X's and O's. Clearly, as he said, he puts branding number one, and if we want better athletes on the field, this is how it's done. That said, we don't have an X's and O's answer, either. We need to put a staff together, and reshuffle the roster to fit a different scheme. I don't think he could know the answer at this time, anyway.

I do fear we're headed for a Bama or UGAg model. Much more conservative which pans out nicely when you have got superior talent. But I don't think we're going to leapfrog Clemson or UGAg. I don't want to be, e.g., South Carolina in the ACC.

But we'll see. There are ways to be innovative that aren't by running a different scheme. We might have to wait for the dividends to come in. I hope he can sustain support for the program in that time. Filling the stadium and bringing in donor money and having a positive image in the minds of HS coaches and the media are needed.

Jmonty71

Banned
I have seen Temple play and there wasn't a whole lot to get excited about. I really don't know how great of a fit this is. What changes are in order? Is the offense going back to a pro set? Is the defense staying the same? Call me skeptical, but I just don't think we got the best we could. If we did, our program in worse shape, than thought.

slugboy

Staff member
7 year contract doesn't tell you anything. The "or what" part of the contract is the important part.

7 year contract on a more or less unproven for starters. I could see bench mark incentives, but 7 years out of the gate? Reading between the lines.....throwing away a couple of years in order to "rebuild" . Just not good business IMO.
Based on that, TStan appears to believe and is willing to accept that there will be 3 or 4 years of crap football. Not sure that will be the case, but TStan apparently is ok with it if it happens.

Animal02

Banned
Based on that, TStan appears to believe and is willing to accept that there will be 3 or 4 years of crap football. Not sure that will be the case, but TStan apparently is ok with it if it happens.
3-4 years is a career for many of the SAs....must be nice to know the AD is willing to throw you under the bus like that.....especially when a D1 head coaching tenure averages 3.8 years.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Todd Stansbury, asked if it was between $2.5 million and $3 million, told the AJC that “you’ll be in the neighborhood.” That value would be in the bottom half of the ACC, beneath the $3.1 million salary for Collins’ predecessor, Paul Johnson, earned in 2018.

While not said, a possible reason for a 7 year contract is to compensate for the lower annual salary. That does presume you believe Collins should be paid about $3.8M/yr if he was in a five year contract. (Assuming the actual contract salary is $2.75M/yr).

I'm not concerned about the length as much as I am the buyout. For example, if the buyout is a fixed fee of $100k, then what do you care about the length? What we've seen in the past is that the buyout is for the remaining money in the contract. In that case GT owes Collins about $19M. He can coach for seven years and be released at no cost to GT and or he can coach for four years and GT writes a check for $8M when he's let go. Hopefully, the buyout declines rapidly over the term such that after four years, it's a relatively small amount (e.g., $1M).

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
We hired a young, exciting coach who will recruit players AND fans to the program. He will actually sell the city of Atlanta as it is, not the grim version our last coaches (and many of our fans) seem to see it as.

He might not win games, and he might be gone shortly. But he represents a sea change in how the GTAA is going to represent itself with regard to players and fans.

For that, this is a home run hire. Even if he goes 1-11 next season. Not because of him, but because of what he represents in terms of changing attitudes inside the GTAA.

Now time to take that approach to basketball.

Animal02

Banned
We hired a young, exciting coach who will recruit players AND fans to the program. He will actually sell the city of Atlanta as it is, not the grim version our last coaches (and many of our fans) seem to see it as.

He might not win games, and he might be gone shortly. But he represents a sea change in how the GTAA is going to represent itself with regard to players and fans.

For that, this is a home run hire. Even if he goes 1-11 next season. Not because of him, but because of what he represents in terms of changing attitudes inside the GTAA.

Now time to take that approach to basketball.
Now that is delusional thinking.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
Now that is delusional thinking.
I was a freshman in 1997. I'm now nearing 40 and for my entire life the coach or GT has been a crotchety old white guy (O'Leary, Gailey, Johnson - the very definitions of "OWG") who at best seemed to have ambilivent relationships to the vibrant, multi-ethnic, high energy and entertainment based city that Atlanta has become over that time.

Atlanta is nothing like the city I went to school in, and GTAA has failed to change with the city (GT as a whole has, which is remarkable).

CGC might be a garbage coach. What I care about is that the GTAA, 20 years too late, has started to see the light.