Are you pleased with the hire

• Yes

Votes: 433 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 80 15.0%

• Total voters
I was a freshman in 1997. I'm now nearing 40 and for my entire life the coach or GT has been a crotchety old white guy (O'Leary, Gailey, Johnson - the very definitions of "OWG") who at best seemed to have ambilivent relationships to the vibrant, multi-ethnic, high energy and entertainment based city that Atlanta has become over that time.

Atlanta is nothing like the city I went to school in, and GTAA has failed to change with the city (GT as a whole has, which is remarkable).

CGC might be a garbage coach. What I care about is that the GTAA, 20 years too late, has started to see the light.
Collins is 47 now; Johnson was 51 when he was hired at Tech. That is not much of a difference in ages, and, according to your logic, Collins will be a OWG soon himself. So then what are you going to say? As to Collins being more in touch with the city that Atlanta has become, you are probably right.....for now.

I don't think TStan or anyone else is thinking about, or would accept "crap football" for 3 - 4 years. What he is saying is that it might take a little longer to really give him a fair evaluation because he is walking into a unique situation, so he gets 2 extra years out of the gate.
I doubt he is thinking about "crap football" either, but if it DOES happen, then we are stuck.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
Collins is 47 now; Johnson was 51 when he was hired at Tech. That is not much of a difference in ages, and, according to your logic, Collins will be a OWG soon himself. So then what are you going to say? As to Collins being more in touch with the city that Atlanta has become, you are probably right.....for now.
OWG is an attitude, not a specific age.

For an example: Arthur Blank is pretty old, but he gets the city and it's residents and connects with them in a way someone like Johnson never did.

Animal02

Banned
I don't think TStan or anyone else is thinking about, or would accept "crap football" for 3 - 4 years. What he is saying is that it might take a little longer to really give him a fair evaluation because he is walking into a unique situation, so he gets 2 extra years out of the gate.
And there are ways to do that without giving away seven years.
At least Hewitt accomplished something. People are applauding this with no proofs.......must own a lot of time shares as well :rolleyes:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I am pleased with the hire.

I was as pro-CPJ as any poster here, and never denied it. I loved his tenure. I loved the identity we had under him. I was always optimistic (save for after game 4 of this season), and was optimistic about where we were headed with CNW and some dynamic young QBs in the fold.

I stated somewhere that if GT went away from the CPJ tree, then I hoped they would hire a dynamic energy guy a la Lunsford at GSU or Dabo. They appear to have gotten their guy.

The part I like the best about CGC is that he genuinely appears honest when he calls GT his dream job. That attitude, and his ability to relate to high school kids (I believe CPJ related to them, too... as evidenced by the love he received from current and former players... but it was a different kind of relatability than CGC) will probably result in an uptick in recruiting.

I hope so. We will certainly need it, because we will most likely lose some of our tactical advantage over our opponents. This is fine with me, because I don't care how we win.

I will now be optimistic that CGC will hire a dynamic OC who can take our speed at QB, depth of RBs, agile OL, and big-bodied WRs and create an attack that plays to their strengths.

side note: I do hope some posters can get away from the CPJ bashing. Check the poll results. People are overwhelmingly happy with the CGC hire on this board. Even the most pro-CPJ posters. So I don't see any real "CGC hate." Certainly not the kind of "CPJ hate" that some have spewed here for awhile now (and still are, amazingly).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
That is not what I see TStan saying.
Well TSTan ain't the coach can't see any coach wanting to lose. Lose 2 or 3 years we are right back to the early 80's and being there it may say the attendance was 34,000 to 40,000 but I know it was only a little over 25,000 on a good day. I would hope CGC has enough Pride to use an offense till he gets his players in place. It could mean some running backs move to WR

Animal02

Banned
I am pleased with the hire.

I was as pro-CPJ as any poster here, and never denied it. I loved his tenure. I loved the identity we had under him. I was always optimistic (save for after game 4 of this season), and was optimistic about where we were headed with CNW and some dynamic young QBs in the fold.

I stated somewhere that if GT went away from the CPJ tree, then I hoped they would hire a dynamic energy guy a la Lunsford at GSU or Dabo. They appear to have gotten their guy.

The part I like the best about CGC is that he genuinely appears honest when he calls GT his dream job. That attitude, and his ability to relate to high school kids (I believe CPJ related to them, too... as evidenced by the love he received from current and former players... but it was a different kind of relatability than CGC) will probably result in an uptick in recruiting.

I hope so. We will certainly need it, because we will most likely lose some of our tactical advantage over our opponents. This is fine with me, because I don't care how we win.

I will now be optimistic that CGC will hire a dynamic OC who can take our speed at QB, depth of RBs, agile OL, and big-bodied WRs and create an attack that plays to their strengths.

side note: I do hope some posters can get away from the CPJ bashing. Check the poll results. People are overwhelmingly happy with the CGC hire on this board. Even the most pro-CPJ posters. So I don't see any real "CGC hate." Certainly not the kind of "CPJ hate" that some have spewed here for awhile now (and still are, amazingly).
I hope for the best....but have been around the block too many times. I posted earlier......having dealt with sales types my whole career.....their are ones that are all talk and others that can back up what they say, but I no longer just accept what someone says they will do.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Ehh I like the contract if it allows more money for Assistants. I don’t believe we will fire a coach in under 5 years anyways and the buyout, if needed, at that point is probably doable. If the 2 extra year gamble saves you $700-900k/year for assistants, I’m all for it.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope for the best....but have been around the block too many times. I posted earlier......having dealt with sales types my whole career.....their are ones that are all talk and others that can back up what they say, but I no longer just accept what someone says they will do.

Of course not. They have to cash these checks they write with their mouths, for sure. If it was all up to me, I would personally rather have a grouchy old curmudgeon with razor wit and a chip on his shoulder. I just like it.

But more than that, I like seeing GT win football games. And there's more than one way to skin a cat. I was skeptical of Chad Lunsford when he started elbow dropping chairs in the locker room. But it worked. And they will run through a wall for him in Statesboro right now.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

I hear ya, but we really do need a salesman as head coach. GT does not sell itself in the way that the surrounding factories do. CGC is recruiting everyone: players, fans, the school president, the local media...selling GT football non-stop.

CPJ's theory was always that if you win, you don't have to sell. Problem is, you have to win at Saban-like levels in order for that to be true.

Animal02

Banned
I hear ya, but we really do need a salesman as head coach. GT does not sell itself in the way that the surrounding factories do. CGC is recruiting everyone: players, fans, the school president, the local media...selling GT football non-stop.

CPJ's theory was always that if you win, you don't have to sell. Problem is, you have to win at Saban-like levels in order for that to be true.
Don't have a problem with a salesman that can deliver the goods. The ones that don't are the ones that do the most damage. I just don't see the evidence to support the rather wild claims being made by many posters. And I still think 7 years is too long of a contract for someone claiming it his dream job.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We go three straight years of sub .500 and heads will roll
Certainly but even David Beaty went 4 years at Kansas going 6-42. I don’t believe Geoff Collins will do that bad. Underperforming would probably be hovering over just 4-7 wins per years. For that, you’re almost guaranteed 5 years ala Dave Clawson at Wake.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
In his retirement press conference, CPJ said we have a 7-8 win team coming back. Even with transitioning out of the option, we should still be around .500 in year 1, IMO. Heck, none of us really know what to expect next year. We may do even better than that.

I think CGC and TStan both know they can't afford to just tank a couple of years to "rebuild". We would lose too much of the momentum that this hire created.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Before anybody points a finger and says that I (and @Animal02) want Collins to fail or think we don't like him, yada yada yada, I hope he does succeed and in a big way, and he has my support all the way. I am pretty sure @Animal02 feels the same way. But this sure seems to me not to be the best possible contract.
I know you and you love Tech , and like me too old to change :) and I still think you are younger than you say.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Age is more like an attitude than a number, amiright ?? Posted by an OWG ...

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
In his retirement press conference, CPJ said we have a 7-8 win team coming back. Even with transitioning out of the option, we should still be around .500 in year 1, IMO. Heck, none of us really know what to expect next year. We may do even better than that.

I think CGC and TStan both know they can't afford to just tank a couple of years to "rebuild". We would lose too much of the momentum that this hire created.
IMO , we have 6 very winnable home games, based on what we know know.