Votes: 433 81.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 80 15.0%

• Total voters

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think TStan or anyone else is thinking about, or would accept "crap football" for 3 - 4 years. What he is saying is that it might take a little longer to really give him a fair evaluation because he is walking into a unique situation, so he gets 2 extra years out of the gate.

I agree that's what he'd say, but imo, it's a difference without much distinction.

TStan said he needed a longer contract because of transitioning from the option. Now that might not mean a couple 1-3 win crap seasons, but it likely is making room for a few 4-5 win seasons.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am pleased with the hire.

I was as pro-CPJ as any poster here, and never denied it. I loved his tenure. I loved the identity we had under him. I was always optimistic (save for after game 4 of this season), and was optimistic about where we were headed with CNW and some dynamic young QBs in the fold.

I stated somewhere that if GT went away from the CPJ tree, then I hoped they would hire a dynamic energy guy a la Lunsford at GSU or Dabo. They appear to have gotten their guy.

The part I like the best about CGC is that he genuinely appears honest when he calls GT his dream job. That attitude, and his ability to relate to high school kids (I believe CPJ related to them, too... as evidenced by the love he received from current and former players... but it was a different kind of relatability than CGC) will probably result in an uptick in recruiting.

I hope so. We will certainly need it, because we will most likely lose some of our tactical advantage over our opponents. This is fine with me, because I don't care how we win.

I will now be optimistic that CGC will hire a dynamic OC who can take our speed at QB, depth of RBs, agile OL, and big-bodied WRs and create an attack that plays to their strengths.

side note: I do hope some posters can get away from the CPJ bashing. Check the poll results. People are overwhelmingly happy with the CGC hire on this board. Even the most pro-CPJ posters. So I don't see any real "CGC hate." Certainly not the kind of "CPJ hate" that some have spewed here for awhile now (and still are, amazingly).
Well said Sidewalk. Great post

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Getting less and less impressed with TStan the more that comes out
Silly comment. If you read the article you would sss that 5-6 years is the norm and for more money. This mitigates the risk for Collins knowing of the roster transition we will have to go through and also means the annual salary is lower than would have been expected.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Some new-hire grades ... featuring something called a 'splash quotient' ... don't worry folks, it's totally SFW ...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/grading-every-hire-2018-apos-221326168.html

Grading Every Hire of 2018's College Football Head Coach Carousel
Georgia Tech: Geoff Collins (4.2 out of 5)

Splash quotient: 3
Geography: 5 Stylistic fit: 5 Execution: 4 Instant impact: 4

Paul Johnson’s flexbone is likely a thing of the past—but Georgia Tech under Collins will likely run a spread offense with elements of the triple option sprinkled in, still getting the most out of the Yellow Jackets’ skill players while also going a bit more mainstream (which should help open up the recruiting pool). But Collins—who spent four years at Tech from 1999–2001 and again in 2006 and is familiar with the team and its landscape—is a defensive coach, and his new team desperately needs a makeover on that side of the ball.

GT's hire got the highest grade FWIW.

Animal02

Banned
Silly comment. If you read the article you would sss that 5-6 years is the norm and for more money. This mitigates the risk for Collins knowing of the roster transition we will have to go through and also means the annual salary is lower than would have been expected.
Not silly at all......It is MY OPINION......and is just as valid as anyone else. I did read the article, and a 7 year commitment to a coach with 2 years total had coaching commitment is too long. It is comical after all the whining about the contract extensions for CPJ and in the past Hewitt for their accomplishments...........yet 7 years for someone that has done nothing except job jump is looked at as a great thing. :rolleyes:

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This was in an article rating the new college football HC hires ... CGC was the top-rated.

Georgia Tech: Geoff Collins (4.2 out of 5)

Splash quotient: 3
Geography: 5 Stylistic fit: 5 Execution: 4 Instant impact: 4

Paul Johnson’s flexbone is likely a thing of the past—but Georgia Tech under Collins will likely run a spread offense with elements of the triple option sprinkled in, still getting the most out of the Yellow Jackets’ skill players while also going a bit more mainstream (which should help open up the recruiting pool). But Collins—who spent four years at Tech from 1999–2001 and again in 2006 and is familiar with the team and its landscape—is a defensive coach, and his new team desperately needs a makeover on that side of the ball.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I did read the article, and a 7 year commitment to a coach with 2 years total had coaching commitment is too long. It is comical after all the whining about the contract extensions for CPJ and in the past Hewitt for their accomplishments...........yet 7 years for someone that has done nothing except job jump is looked at as a great thing. :rolleyes:

Neither of the situations are similar People complained about Hewitt's contract not because of any extension but because of the clause that created an automatic rollover. People complained about Johnson's extension because it came after missing a bowl game. It was timing, not length.

Collins is getting 7 years because there will be pretty much a guaranteed transition period that means he wouldn't be fired in less than 5 years regardless due to inheriting a bad defense, bad special teams, and transitioning the offense. That point is heightened by the fact that this hire was a large part about building a brand and increasing recruiting. So a 5 year contract would probably just see a 2 year extension after year 2 or 3 anyways so it makes sense to go 7.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Not if he is let go.....the average HC lasts 4.8 years.
I would have no problems with performance based incentives.....I just believe 7 years is too long, and look at the track record of long contracts at Tech.

Question, do you think there is any realistic chance that he'd be fired in year 3?

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
And I call that losing a negotiation. I think seven years is fine, but five would have been better knowing you could extend at any point.
That would depend on the compensation. Collins likely gave up some annual $$ for length of contract.

Formerly, elsewhere "GTjay"

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
For a guy with 2 years head coaching experience? That is losing the negotiations.
I understand the trepidation over the length, that was my first reaction also, but I'd be interested to know what the buyout is towards the end.

If it's favorable and that kept the $$ down for a competitive ACC HC job. I'm ok with it.

Animal02

Banned
I understand the trepidation over the length, that was my first reaction also, but I'd be interested to know what the buyout is towards the end.

If it's favorable and that kept the $$ down for a competitive ACC HC job. I'm ok with it.

I also don't like the philosophy of having a couple of years to "turn things around" That is BS.....we are coming off a 7-8 win season, with plenty of returning kids......if he is such a damn good coach, he should be able to win with what he has.....
The mindset of throwing away a couple of years is BS