• No

Votes: 20 3.8%
  • Not sure

Votes: 80 15.0%

• Total voters

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That’s a bit of a silly stance imo. Anyone who wanted someone else as a first choice can be unhappy with the hire.

I think you are confusing the matter as a vote of no confidence in CGC. In that case I’d agree with your take.

Fair enough. I was taking a no as no confidence. At this point if somebody wanted another coach, it seems that not sure is best.

Unless of course that person is perfect. Which of course isn't possible since only you and I are perfect. :barefoot:

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I think he/they will choose something appropriate for Tech, just like the other schools have. Mutts have spikes, Canes have gold chains, and the Vols have trash cans. Maybe we can have gold diplomas. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we should take the recovered football to the sideline, paint it GT gold, then superinflate it with helium and launch it into outerspace

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Are you kidding me? Chan Gailey hasn't coached for GT since 2007...and yet Chan Gailey's memory keeps popping up from the dead by someone several times a day.

CPJ may have resigned, but he ain't EVER going away. At least not on GT Swarm.

As always, Techster with the cold dose of reality. I'm just miffed at all the "Oooo we gotta NFL offense now." whatever TF that means considering no successful college football team runs a purely "NFL" offense.

It's pissing me off and I actually like the hire. The anti-CPJ'ers are basically radicalizing me against them. :LOL:

Lol @Milwaukee posted a long message in another thread about how the pro-CPJ people are ruining all the threads. We can’t even agree on who’s ruining threads.

Taste's great!!!!

Less filling!!!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
As always, Techster with the cold dose of reality. I'm just miffed at all the "Oooo we gotta NFL offense now." whatever TF that means considering no successful college football team runs a purely "NFL" offense.

It's pissing me off and I actually like the hire. The anti-CPJ'ers are basically radicalizing me against them. :LOL:

Taste's great!!!!

Less filling!!!

You can be radicalized against the CPJ haters and still be in favor of CGC. :)

slugboy

Staff member
Are you kidding me? Chan Gailey hasn't coached for GT since 2007...and yet Chan Gailey's memory keeps popping up from the dead by someone several times a day.

CPJ may have resigned, but he ain't EVER going away. At least not on GT Swarm.
Should we give up discussing old coaches for Lent? Or earlier?
Maybe a week-long moratorium?
(We have to talk about CPJ for Bowl prep, because he's the head coach still)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Should we give up discussing old coaches for Lent? Or earlier?
Maybe a week-long moratorium?
(We have to talk about CPJ for Bowl prep, because he's the head coach still)

LOL. As staff member, you now have the power to ban people...at least for a day.

We should have an option to vote on temporarily banning posters....wait, nevermind, I'd probably get banned all the time...:whistle:

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You can be radicalized against the CPJ haters and still be in favor of CGC. :)

Spoken like a true radical. Make me a deal though. If you hear me belt out, "Allahu akhbar!!", I'll need you to pull me aside for a stern talking-to.

:unsure: ... ok, I might've gone a little far on that one ... self-ban

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
even though the defense only practices against its own offensive scheme in spring and the first week or two of camp...
In the past, during the season, PJ would have the No 1 go against the No 1 D but that was for short yardage and goal line stuff and only then for about a period a week, out of four practices that were anywhere from 80-90 periods total.
I just think that whole line of reasoning is BS. Because you really don't practice against your own offense, except for maybe most of the 15 spring practices and the first half of August. Other than that, you're seeing someone else's offense week in and week out.
All that does is allow those ****ing morons on sports talk radio and every espn studio show to continue to harp on stuff that just isn't true.
Honestly, if the whole line of reasoning is BS, at least it’s a line of reasoning.

What explanation do those who call the line of reasoning BS have to explain why the GT defense performed so poorly across multiple DC’s for over a decade?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Spoken like a true radical. Make me a deal though. If you hear me belt out, "Allahu akhbar!!", I'll need you to pull me aside for a stern talking-to.

:unsure: ... ok, I might've gone a little far on that one ... self-ban

I’ll be on you like Venable’s “get back” coach. :D

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Honestly, if the whole line of reasoning is BS, at least it’s a line of reasoning.

What explanation do those who call the line of reasoning BS have to explain why the GT defense performed so poorly across multiple DC’s for over a decade?

Talent at the LOS initially. Talent at LB the last couple years.

slugboy

Staff member
LOL. As staff member, you now have the power to ban people...at least for a day.

We should have an option to vote on temporarily banning posters....wait, nevermind, I'd probably get banned all the time...:whistle:
Nah, all I want to do right now is enjoy a spirit of optimism,
giphy.gif

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m very happy with the hire. Happy that the triple option is in the rear view mirror too.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
From what bit of research I've done (20 min of google plus the presser), it appears that Collins is a competent defensive coach and that he will make recruiting priority 1, 2, and 3. I really liked that he is appears to be going whole hog with all the recruiting angles (e.g., GT prepares for you for the future, which may be NFL, so we play NFL style; Total Person Program - you'll be a well rounded person; Academics - preparing you for life after football; etc).

The question I have is can the new offense and possibly (probably?) a new defense function effectively without a lot of those next level guys. The nice thing about CPJ's offense - and why he liked Woody's defense - was that even if you don't have those next level guys, you can still compete and win. Collins wants to run NFL style schemes and I have a concern that those schemes may not work well unless Collins is able to get better players. Admittedly, I've no idea what he means by NFL style, though my first reaction is that on the surface it means no purely run based options (including no zone read, though RPO and receiver route options may be present), lots of shotgun, lots of single back sets, a tight end or hybrid back of some type, plenty of passing (~15 per game initially and 50% of plays long term), some no-huddle, and a larger variety of formations.

All in all, I'm please with the hire. I loved option under CPJ, but at the same I am also looking forward to seeing a different style of play. I guess it's the same reason why people trade in an otherwise perfectly fine car. After a while, you just want drive something different.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Not so sure its going to be a pro style. He said we would run an offense and an defense that translates to the NFL. I feel like thats actually a very non specific answer that could include various schemes...we have gotten so used to having a very unique offense that we think other offenses will also limit our recruiting.

You're exactly right. He said we would run an "NFL-based offense", not a "pro-style offense." As said elsewhere in this thread, I believe he said that for the benefit of recruits, to let them know that our offense and defense would prepare them to play in the NFL...not that we would run exactly what the pros run.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
HA like I’d vote for anyone not named kg...

Prosecutor: "So kg, what did you do to provoke the heinous character assassinations by Mr. JacketFromUGA ...?"

jstn.gif

Prosecutor: "There you have it, your honor. The court asks for a lifetime ban, 3-day for JacketFromUGA and punitive damages to be awarded."

:smuggrin: