Anyone else just really happy?

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
So in you alls Hate CPJ world the logic holds that CGO in 1998 with 10 wins did it with Bill Lewis players. And if he did then great he did a better job than his predecessor. CPJ took 7-5 Chan players and went to the Orange bowl and won the ACC.
He took his own player in 2014 to and 11 win season.....not bad recruiting huh. He went to Athens in 2008 and di what CCG couldn't and beat a team loaded with 1st round draft picks.

See that’s your problem. You think he hate CPJ. I don’t at all. He was a great coach but not perfect. He gave us the highest years but his floor was much lower than other other coaches.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We won’t learn a damn thing about CGC after one game. CPJ had such good success in year one and two because of Geoff Collins and Chan’s Gift of the best recruiting class in school history. Anyone could have won with that talent in the cupboard. That’s super ironic isn’t it? CPJ benefited from Geoff Collins recruiting class. Lol...talk about full circle. The same cannot be said for what PJ and his recruiting staff have left CGC.

Man...I literally just disproved everything you said with 100% fact that it takes coaching and recruiting. Not just coaching.
And Gailey should have won big with OLearys talent. The”best recruiter in GT history” but Gailey did not. So if you think Gailey would have done anything more than 7-5 with that talent I see no evidence that would suggest that. Under Gailey we were like Fla State recently- totally under performing to the talent we had. It is just not about recruiting only

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
They sure are. Read my comment above regarding what Derrick Morgab said about him and our own Roddy Jones.

After Collins largely hauled in GT BEST RECRUITING CLASS IN HISTORY In one year on campus, Saban is quoted as saying he wanted Collins on his staff because if he could be responsible for a class like the 2006 class at GT he can recruit anywhere.

But don’t let any of these facts spoken from the very players in that class get in the way of your love fest.

In all fairness, calling the 07 class the best class in GT history is simply wrong and devalues the program. It was arguably the 5th best class since 96 at the time. What Collins did was just return GT back to where they were recruiting regularly under O’Leary. Which would be a good thing if he could get us back there.

See that’s your problem. You think he hate CPJ. I don’t at all. He was a great coach but not perfect. He gave us the highest years but his floor was much lower than other other coaches.
Well, just to throw some more real numbers out there. Here are the totals of players that made NFL teams, not practice squads but on the 53 man roster. Broken out by recruiting years
CPJ 24
CCG 29
CGO 18

By average
CPJ 2.67 PY
CCG 4.8 PY
CGO 2.5 PY

Winning percentage of games
CPJ 59%
CCG 59%
CGO 64%

So O'Leary did more with less.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, just to throw some more real numbers out there. Here are the totals of players that made NFL teams, not practice squads but on the 53 man roster. Broken out by recruiting years
CPJ 24
CCG 29
CGO 18

By average
CPJ 2.67 PY
CCG 4.8 PY
CGO 2.5 PY

CPJ 59%
CCG 59%
CGO 64%

Yes. O’Leary had Ralph Fridgen as his offensive coordinator.

The quality of the coaches is very important. It is most important at a non-factory football school like Georgia Tech, in my honest opinion.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
There are multiple aspects of recruiting.
1. Selling program to elite 4/ 5 star type players everyone knows is good.
2. Evaluating the massive amount of 2/3 star types, as to who can fit into system and be impact player.

Johnson was real good at no 2, cases like Shaw Mason, K Benson, etc.
OK at no 1

Collins looks like he will be good at no 1, have to wait and see on no 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Collins appears to be an above average "salesman". That is not a negative connotation, as I have learned in my career to respect and appreciate this gift.

With that said, if he cannot coach, design game plans, and hire excellent tacticians at the coordinator positions, he will be in over his head. Please realize I said "if", because I have no idea yet.

I am rooting for him, because he now has the reins of my team. I am "skeptical" about what he says he wants to do, but I will wait and see the results. When I see him accomplish things (in recruiting or other) that are not normal at the Institute, I will point that out in a positive way.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Cool, as long as I aint getting treated any different.
Collins appears to be an above average "salesman". That is not a negative connotation, as I have learned in my career to respect and appreciate this gift.

With that said, if he cannot coach, design game plans, and hire excellent tacticians at the coordinator positions, he will be in over his head. Please realize I said "if", because I have no idea yet.

I am rooting for him, because he now has the reins of my team. I am "skeptical" about what he says he wants to do, but I will wait and see the results. When I see him accomplish things (in recruiting or other) that are not normal at the Institute, I will point that out in a positive way.

Good post. I see a return to the O’Leary days. I hope I am correct.

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
There are multiple aspects of recruiting.
1. Selling program to elite 4/ 5 star type players everyone knows is good.
2. Evaluating the massive amount of 2/3 star types, as to who can fit into system and be impact player.

Johnson was real good at no 2, cases like Shaw Mason, K Benson, etc.
OK at no 1

Collins looks like he will be good at no 1, have to wait and see on no 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree - I think Collins showed in the press conf that he can be good at 1...and seemed to be proud of his skill in this area.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
No we aren’t. I am saying that PJ was not maximizing recruiting abilities though and that was his biggest oversight.
Oh really? I think no one on this board knew your opinion of CPJ (other than the fact that you have cut and pasted the same post in every single thread about 100 times).

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh really? I think no one on this board knew your opinion of CPJ (other than the fact that you have cut and pasted the same post in every single thread about 100 times).

Cool. You don’t like what I have to say use the ignore button.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
CPJ 24
CCG 29
CGO 18

By average
CPJ 2.67 PY
CCG 4.8 PY
CGO 2.5 PY

CPJ 59%
CCG 59%
CGO 64%

Might it be a better metric to determine the better talent by comparing the players who are receiving NFL pensions? You need talent to get significant playing time to get a pension and not merely by making a practice squad.