Anyone else just really happy?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
His referring to GT has his “dream job” is refreshing on the surface, but his used car salesman personality makes me wonder if he means that. Some of you might not have liked what CPJ had to say some of the time, but you always knew he meant every word. I liked having an old-school X and O coach while everyone else went recruiter first, coach second with their HC, but I guess we’re going to be part of that trend now. I hope he is successful, but I’m more concerned with winning games than winning a press conference. Collins is clearly the Anti-CPJ in so many ways. We’ll see how it turns out. Don’t be surprised when his BFFs in the local media turn on him after a few 6 win seasons. It doesn’t matter how much our coach kisses ***, they will always pander to the dog fans. If he strings together a few 10 win seasons, don’t be surprised when he realizes FSU or somewhere else that supports football was actually his dream job all along.

I’m curious to see what kind of staff he puts together. That will be one indicator that he and GT might be able to elevate the program, but will we suddenly start paying what it takes to attract the best coordinators? I hope GT does start doing what needs to be done and Collins is a great Success at GT and we build another statue. I’m not sure what “NFL style” means. Clearly no more triple option, but there is such a variety to systems that are now run at the NFL and college level, we’ll have to see what that really means. If we’re successful doing what everyone else is doing, that will be a first in my 22+ years as a Tech fan. I sat in my seats at Bobby Dodd and watched what Chan’s offense did with Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, and a good defense. If you’re too young to remember, it sucked. Collins is not Chan, and I see no reason not to give him a chance. I’m not excited by the hire at this point, but give the off season hype machine about 8 months to work.

Support from the Hill and TStan in putting together well compensated and qualified staff is critical. That means, as you pointed out paying these people what it takes AND devoting considerably more resources to recruiting to be competitive. I don't think you have to worry too much about the X's and O's. This guy knows what he is doing. I was a Monken fan myself but see the wisdom in going in another direction to enhance recruiting. Personally, I think we will be fine but be prepared for hiccups the first couple of years. In spite of assurances to the contrary, I believe the transition from an option based offense to what Coach Collins wants to see on the field will be difficult. We have way too many A backs and not near enough linemen on both sides of the ball. It will take time and patience on the part of the fan base. Just relax, stand back and give the man some working room.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
PJ offense could not score on great defenses.

I beg to differ. As a rule, we struggled against many of the physically superior defenses but there were times when physical superiority notwithstanding the triple option would not be denied. UGA 2008, UGA 2014, and most especially Clemson 2011 come to mind. OTOH there was the Iowa Orange Bowl debacle, the LSU Peach Bowl beatdown, UGA last year and this year, Clemson ditto, Virginia Tech more years than I care to remember. We still have not blocked Luther Maddy or Kam Chancellor. So on and so forth. Recruiting rankings in the 50s with too many two and three stars will do that after a while.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
To be clear, calling someone a used car salesman is a derogatory term. Of course he is a better salesman, and that is a great thing. If you think Dabo is a great coach, go back and watch the first few years that he was at Clemson. Dabo learned to use his sales skills to also sell the opportunity to coaches around him, and those coaches are a major reason to why he is successful now....on top of great recruiting from his sales skills.

We need someone to sell the program, unite the base, recruit, and hire a good staff. By the way, he seems to be a pretty good defensive coach too. Get on the bus.

Succinctly put, this is his mission: "sell the program, unite the base, recruit and hire a good staff" Do those four things and we are well on the way to a great era of Tech football. Of course, saying is easy enough, doing it is something else again. But make no mistake, this guy believes he can move the moon. Unlike the proverbial "used car salesman" he believes in Georgia Tech, he and his wife are born and bred Georgians, they embrace the culture and traditions of the Institute and where some see challenges they see opportunities. Maybe the pessimists are right, maybe he is blowing smoke and is all flash but personally, I think what you saw in that press conference is who he is.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I share SOME of your caution, but in today's CFB , as CPJ would say " it is what it is ". You hire a young aggressive coach with an excellent resume and expectations are high. If he does GREAT , does he move on ? If he FLOPS, then what ? Hey guess what , we would be asking these questions with ANY hire. CPJ retired, on his own terms - he didn't move on ( yet ) and he didn't get fired. Just curious , who WOULD you have been excited about ??

I am excited about this guy and I would have been excited about Coach Monken. The Whiz I would have supported but not really hopeful he could make a difference seeing how other pro coaches have done in college. I appreciate the contributions that Coach Johnson made to our program and the countless hours he devoted to improving the national perception. First Orange Bowl since 1966. I was 12 years old that fall watching the young lefthander and Lenny Snow do their thing and here I was about to retire and JT5 and the guys brought tears of happiness to my eyes. Coach Johnson was a class act when he arrived and has not changed a bit. For that, we should be grateful.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And I also disagree with your premise that CFB is not about recruiting, but coaching. Maybe back in my day 60's and 70's it was MORE about coaching, but IMO it STARTS with recruiting today , like it or not.

It was about recruiting in the 1950s, the 1960s etc. It was always about recruiting. Coach Dodd was called the best day of the game coach of his era by no less than Bear Bryant but even he would tell you that it was recruiting that made Tech what it was so long ago. He got great players out of Florida, Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi at a time when Georgia simply did not produce that much football talent. That said, the college football landscape is littered with programs and coaches which consistently brought in top talent and did not develop them for one reason or another. Tennessee and UNC being prime examples. You have to get the Jimmies and Joes but the job doesn't end there, it is just beginning.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes. O’Leary had Ralph Fridgen as his offensive coordinator.

The quality of the coaches is very important. It is most important at a non-factory football school like Georgia Tech, in my honest opinion.

Absolutely. O'Leary also had the greatest GT QB of all time and Heisman caliber, Joe Hamilton.

O'Leary's failings, much like CPj's, was letting Ted Roof run the damn defense.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes. O’Leary had Ralph Fridgen as his offensive coordinator.

The quality of the coaches is very important. It is most important at a non-factory football school like Georgia Tech, in my honest opinion.
This in spades. Our coach has to get more from the players to win a major bowl compared to an FSU UGA etc. just a fact of life

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
This in spades. Our coach has to get more from the players to win a major bowl compared to an FSU UGA etc. just a fact of life
It's a catch-22. You also need to get closer in athletic talent. You can't just X and O your way there. You think Bama or Clemson aren't well-coached on top of talented?

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's a catch-22. You also need to get closer in athletic talent. You can't just X and O your way there. You think Bama or Clemson aren't well-coached on top of talented?
No they ABSOLUTELY are well coached with some of the best talent in in college football. That is why they are 1 and 2 in the nation. I absolutely believe our new coach will recruit some higher level classes and move the talent level up. For no other reason he is getting more resources (still not enough IMHO - we should at least get up to spending at the Duke level) But I also absolutely believe we will not be consistent top 20 recruiting classes. I am not being a pessimist just a realist. Even Michigan was in the 40,s a year or two ago. So we better have a coach like O’Leary and Friedgren that can out x and o the other guy. It is the most important thing because even if you have the recruits and money like FSU Miami Southern Cal ........ you can end up with not winning up to your talent level. I really do hope our new coach can coach up. He has not had enough experience to show if he can or cannot do that. Some Temple fans say he did not do this at Temple because he inherited a team that was stacked w talent. I am in his corner and will be rooting for him 110%. but this is my largest concern.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m getting back on topic. I won’t be talked down to by some 5-6 decade old fans who are stuck in that era and can’t accept football has changed and we don’t need an old curmudgeon leading us and accepting GT can’t do better and blaming external factors on our woes.

I’ve said with the right coach and the right energy we can win within the program. We need creativity and innovation. Not going through the motions.

With that previous point, I am ecstatic about the hire. I think he checks the boxes and will have that energy and creativity to finally make GT not dependent on the “restrictions” that some like to use as an excuse.

Here's a Tech grad and also a fan for my entire life of 60 years who agrees with you. We do NOT have to settle for 7-5 and 8-4 and a maybe a conference championship once a decade. I am thoroughly tired of that attitude. Tech taught me to ALWAYS strive to be the BEST, not be some also ran.

With CPJ at the helm we grew comfortable with mediocre and making excuses (aka "being realistic"). "See? We have to run the TO because it's the only kind of athlete we can get." Well, this year I told the athletic department I won't be buying season tickets until Johnson was gone.

I love Coach Collins' attitude and that he at least thinks he can recruit and compete on an elite level. You can't unless you believe you can.

GoldenBuzz

Georgia Tech Fan
As a seasoned fan, and an expert on football, I am curious, what do you want at Tech. Better, so I guess you expect us to be in the playoff every year huh. If the bar is better than CPJ, then our new coach better have some 12 win seasons because that is the bar CPJ set.

Yeah, well, that's what I want, every freakin' year.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The last Georgia Tech head coach with Geoff Collins personality was Pepper Rodgers
Funny you should say that. I thought about starting a thread in which I asked everyone to say how they felt about each Tech hire going back to Bud Carson -whether you felt excited, skeptical or indifferent. I looked back and realized there was no correlation between how I felt at the beginning of the hire and how the coach did. I was really excited about Rodgers and Curry, skeptical about Fulcher, Ross and Gailey, and indifferent about Carson, Lewis and O'Leary. For what it is worth I am indifferent to the current hire but, as a life long Tech fan, hopeful.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
While you guys are arguing and doing logic drills, i am watching 2 TO teams play.
Navy has completed 3 passes but 2 are to Army.

Being honest (and I spent the past 11 years defending CPJ & the TO) - I found the game less exciting than I thought I would. Unless it is GT running the plays, the nuances of read keys and blocking schemes were not enough to hold my interest.

Of course, I will watch our bowl game and cheer death marches and 4th down conversions.