Anyone else just really happy?

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Funny you should say that. I thought about starting a thread in which I asked everyone to say how they felt about each Tech hire going back to Bud Carson -whether you felt excited, skeptical or indifferent. I looked back and realized there was no correlation between how I felt at the beginning of the hire and how the coach did. I was really excited about Rodgers and Curry, skeptical about Fulcher, Ross and Gailey, and indifferent about Carson, Lewis and O'Leary. For what it is worth I am indifferent to the current hire but, as a life long Tech fan, hopeful.
I was happy about Curry ,BL I thought was a bad move but was willing to see,O'Leary I was very happy, Ross ok , Gailey was I wait and see too conservative, Johnson in the middle but liked him.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Yepper... if only we could return to the pre-APR, pre-flunkgate, pre-NCAA probation days of yore. Believe it or not, all those things left a lasting impact on our program and have to be addressed not ignored if we plan on succeeding.

I believe they have been addressed. The administration issues that led to the problem have been resolved.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Yepper... if only we could return to the pre-APR, pre-flunkgate, pre-NCAA probation days of yore. Believe it or not, all those things left a lasting impact on our program and have to be addressed not ignored if we plan on succeeding.
Paul Johnson has shown they can be managed. Kudos to him for that. As I've said before, I doubt the lower rated recruits we've been signing have had fundamentally different academic profiles from the higher rated ones we offered and missed on. If Collins manages this as well as PJ and recruits better, we'll be okay on the academics front. The issue, as many have brought up, is can he coach them.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson has shown they can be managed. Kudos to him for that. As I've said before, I doubt the lower rated recruits we've been signing have had fundamentally different academic profiles from the higher rated ones we offered and missed on. If Collins manages this as well as PJ and recruits better, we'll be okay on the academics front. The issue, as many have brought up, is can he coach them.

Agree with all of this, MG. The only thing that ADTS will have to do is make sure, if GC can get more of the lower end academic guys, they have enough academic support staff - it will have to grow.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Only in sports would you hire a guy that worked in 13 different places in 25 years.

I sure hopes this works out. I’m not getting any younger.

Me to on hoping this works out as my style of short sighted planning now makes sense.

We could go for longevity and try Sewak as head coach! He has been in same job for years and is due a major promotion.

And that would be HELL NO.

Does anyone think that a non Attacking position coach won't get canned?

Milwaukee

Banned
It's hard for me to comprehend why this site in particular is split and arguing at this time. The entire fanbase and every other Tech site is being more rational about this than we are. This has always been the best site, and now it's not all of a sudden. Makes no sense.

Paul was not fired to bring in a coach that a bunch of the fanbase wanted. He retired. Todd hired a new coach because we did not have one, ya know, because Paul retired from Georgia Tech. Why are posters here not able to understand that?

If you don't like the hire that's fine, but we did not have a coach and had to hire someone. There's so much animosity among a rather large percentage of fans on this site (maybe not the largest percentage, but more so the loudest that continually post the same negative stuff in every thread) towards anyone who is happy about the Collins hire.

Please just stop. It's as if a lot of people here are happy and that in itself pisses off a loud contingency here. The other sites aren't having the breakdown we're having here at the same rate. Why is that?

To the op question, yes I'm happy...until I start reading each and every thread on this site from the pro PJ crowd who apparently this situation isn't quite registering with. Let PJ go, he retired from GT. He is not in ANY sort of competition with Geoff Collins. They are not battling each other for your respect at this time. Nothing whatsoever.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Funny you should say that. I thought about starting a thread in which I asked everyone to say how they felt about each Tech hire going back to Bud Carson -whether you felt excited, skeptical or indifferent. I looked back and realized there was no correlation between how I felt at the beginning of the hire and how the coach did. I was really excited about Rodgers and Curry, skeptical about Fulcher, Ross and Gailey, and indifferent about Carson, Lewis and O'Leary. For what it is worth I am indifferent to the current hire but, as a life long Tech fan, hopeful.
Maybe this could be a new thread...

Pepper Rodgers - For me he was the face of Tech football in my formative years, at a time when I was just learning about the game and starting to play Pop Warner football... and ultimately dreaming of going to Tech and hopefully playing there one day. It was the time of Mean Joe Green and Roger Staubach over in the NFL, a really exciting time to be young and into football. I always enjoyed Coach Rodgers's football show the morning after the games. Remember, Tech football wasn't on TV much back then, so these highlights were really the only time you usually got to see them play. In many ways, this show helped me choose between being a Jacket vs. a Bulldog. I didn't remember the CPR hire. It would be another year before I started playing football and understood the game enough to even pay attention. His dismissal was devastating to this particular youngster.

Bill Curry - After the letdown of Coach Rodgers's firing, I still remember being happy with this hire. I was in the 7th grade and looking forward to going to high school the next year. That was in the dark days of UGA winning it all. At our high school, one of our coaches had played for UGA (another played for Tennessee), and our principal also had played for UGA. Worse, our mascot was the bulldog. They were always playing "Bulldog Bite" at pep rallies. Got a lot of hazing at football practice wearing my Tech jersey... Needless to say, that plus those 1-10 or 2-9 seasons really gave you some intestinal fortitude as a Tech fan. Throughout it all, I rooted for Coach Curry and the Jackets and felt really vindicated after the '84 whooping of the Bulldogs. No more "woof, woof!" from those Bulldog fans, at least for a little while!

Bobby Ross - I was somewhat underwhelmed by his hire and felt even worse about it after a couple seasons. I arrived at Tech at this time, and it wasn't the sort of thing that I dreamed about back in the mid '70s when I first became a Tech fan. But then there was the turnaround in '89... and then the championship in 1990. It wasn't till then that I started realizing what a great staff we had... The Jackets weren't flash back then; they just got it done.

Bill Lewis - Who?

George O'Leary - Was very happy one of Bobby Ross's staff had the chance to coach the team. This was another exciting period of watching Tech football, climbing back out of the cellar and watching JH and the Goose lead Tech over UGA three years in a row.

Chan Gailey - Completely underwhelmed and really disappointed with this hire. It felt like a mismatch from the very first press conference, like we'd simply chosen from the coaching leftovers. CCG also seemed to me more like a UGA homer than a Tech kind of man... reminded me a little of Jim Donnan. In retrospect, this was a more interesting period of football at the Flats than it appeared at the time. Yet, CCG never could seem to win the really important games, and he never beat Georgia.

Paul Johnson - Very happy with this hire, though not in a fist-pumping kind of way. I felt it was the right hire at the time and I felt good about things going forward. I liked him more and more as the first season went on, especially after beating UGA. I liked his gritty players, too. When it's all said and done, he'll probably be my favorite coach ever at the Flats.

Geoff Collins - Cautiously excited.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Me to on hoping this works out as my style of short sighted planning now makes sense.

We could go for longevity and try Sewak as head coach! He has been in same job for years and is due a major promotion.

And that would be HELL NO.

Does anyone think that a non Attacking position coach won't get canned?

Maybe he’s a thinker rather than a doer like Dabo? We may have missed his calling in life.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck

0504fff2fa581857f3a978b6978f26a6.jpg

It's hard for me to comprehend why this site in particular is split and arguing at this time. The entire fanbase and every other Tech site is being more rational about this than we are. This has always been the best site, and now it's not all of a sudden. Makes no sense.

Paul was not fired to bring in a coach that a bunch of the fanbase wanted. He retired. Todd hired a new coach because we did not have one, ya know, because Paul retired from Georgia Tech. Why are posters here not able to understand that?

If you don't like the hire that's fine, but we did not have a coach and had to hire someone. There's so much animosity among a rather large percentage of fans on this site (maybe not the largest percentage, but more so the loudest that continually post the same negative stuff in every thread) towards anyone who is happy about the Collins hire.

Please just stop. It's as if a lot of people here are happy and that in itself pisses off a loud contingency here. The other sites aren't having the breakdown we're having here at the same rate. Why is that?

To the op question, yes I'm happy...until I start reading each and every thread on this site from the pro PJ crowd who apparently this situation isn't quite registering with. Let PJ go, he retired from GT. He is not in ANY sort of competition with Geoff Collins. They are not battling each other for your respect at this time. Nothing whatsoever.

As you all know I am a big CPJ fan and love what he has done for Tech and Tech football. He has retired. We move on. I like the Collins hire because he knows Tech. He also has done a pretty good job with Temple. It remains to be seen what OC and DC he will hire, what system he will run. At Temple it looks like he ran a couple of systems based on his players. I will assume that he will come to Tech and do the same. For several seasons we will see a more run based scheme.

The few who cause the animosity are those few that hated CPJ....maybe didn't like us winning, and want us to become the Big 12 on offense, a recipe for disaster at Tech. As for me, I am glad we got this guy. Now let's cheer on the Jackets and the CPJ Spread Option one more time and get that 8th win.

Milwaukee

Banned
As you all know I am a big CPJ fan and love what he has done for Tech and Tech football. He has retired. We move on. I like the Collins hire because he knows Tech. He also has done a pretty good job with Temple. It remains to be seen what OC and DC he will hire, what system he will run. At Temple it looks like he ran a couple of systems based on his players. I will assume that he will come to Tech and do the same. For several seasons we will see a more run based scheme.

The few who cause the animosity are those few that hated CPJ....maybe didn't like us winning, and want us to become the Big 12 on offense, a recipe for disaster at Tech. As for me, I am glad we got this guy. Now let's cheer on the Jackets and the CPJ Spread Option one more time and get that 8th win.

Very well said. I don't know who started the arguing, whether the pro PJ or anti PJ camps, I've just seen more pro PJ campers trying to rain on parades. A lot of passive aggressive "be careful, you better temper expectations a bit" nonsense. I'm sad that PJ is gone and happy about Collins in a few ways. It sucks that in every thread here it feels like I have to pick a side. My feelings are damn near spot on with your entire post; people are forgetting Paul has one more game for us. I seriously feel bad for Minnesota cause I feel like Paul is gonna put up 70 if he can, and I'm all for it in this particular situation. I say we run it the hell up if we can. Go out with a bang, get a big last jab at a lot of your critics, and walk away with a smirk.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I think that with this extra practice time, knowing that we won't be running this offense next year, CPJ should open up the playbook and spend then extra 10 days or so scripting a number of plays we've never been able to run because we've always focused on perfecting what we do. He's always said he'd add more of the playbook when we showed that we could consistently run correctly what we do. Well, we've never really been able to do that. Now that he's not worried about next year, I could see him installing some of the passing attacks he used in Hawai'i and some of the more interesting attack formations. Nothing to lose at this point, and Minnesota will not be prepared for it at all.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
I absolutely think we made a great hire with Collins,,,, Recruiting is where it's at! He will get out there and get on it! We've got to be patient and let him work.. Time will tell, but I'm all in...