Anyone else just really happy?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's hard for me to comprehend why this site in particular is split and arguing at this time. The entire fanbase and every other Tech site is being more rational about this than we are. This has always been the best site, and now it's not all of a sudden. Makes no sense.

Paul was not fired to bring in a coach that a bunch of the fanbase wanted. He retired. Todd hired a new coach because we did not have one, ya know, because Paul retired from Georgia Tech. Why are posters here not able to understand that?

If you don't like the hire that's fine, but we did not have a coach and had to hire someone. There's so much animosity among a rather large percentage of fans on this site (maybe not the largest percentage, but more so the loudest that continually post the same negative stuff in every thread) towards anyone who is happy about the Collins hire.

Please just stop. It's as if a lot of people here are happy and that in itself pisses off a loud contingency here. The other sites aren't having the breakdown we're having here at the same rate. Why is that?

To the op question, yes I'm happy...until I start reading each and every thread on this site from the pro PJ crowd who apparently this situation isn't quite registering with. Let PJ go, he retired from GT. He is not in ANY sort of competition with Geoff Collins. They are not battling each other for your respect at this time. Nothing whatsoever.
Is it really that divided? On the poll thread there are only 15 people that are not pleased with the hire.

Milwaukee

Banned
Is it really that divided? On the poll thread there are only 15 people that are not pleased with the hire.

Read a whole post maybe.

Maybe this is why there's animosity, maybe it's not the coaching change at all recently?

Edit: didn't mean to be snarky, but the rest of the post obviously explained what you clearly didn't see.

Last edited:

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Very well said. I don't know who started the arguing, whether the pro PJ or anti PJ camps, I've just seen more pro PJ campers trying to rain on parades. A lot of passive aggressive "be careful, you better temper expectations a bit" nonsense. I'm sad that PJ is gone and happy about Collins in a few ways. It sucks that in every thread here it feels like I have to pick a side. My feelings are damn near spot on with your entire post; people are forgetting Paul has one more game for us. I seriously feel bad for Minnesota cause I feel like Paul is gonna put up 70 if he can, and I'm all for it in this particular situation. I say we run it the hell up if we can. Go out with a bang, get a big last jab at a lot of your critics, and walk away with a smirk.

Minn is gonna be a tough opponent. I don’t see USB’s running roughshod over them. Our O this year and last year is not as good as it usually is.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I absolutely think we made a great hire with Collins,,,, Recruiting is where it's at! He will get out there and get on it! We've got to be patient and let him work.. Time will tell, but I'm all in...

Amen, and there is absolutely no reason for any true GT fan to feel any differently at this time, CGC is our coach and we need to get behind him 100%. Try being an optimistic fan and see how things play out.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
His referring to GT has his “dream job” is refreshing on the surface, but his used car salesman personality makes me wonder if he means that. Some of you might not have liked what CPJ had to say some of the time, but you always knew he meant every word. I liked having an old-school X and O coach while everyone else went recruiter first, coach second with their HC, but I guess we’re going to be part of that trend now. I hope he is successful, but I’m more concerned with winning games than winning a press conference. Collins is clearly the Anti-CPJ in so many ways. We’ll see how it turns out. Don’t be surprised when his BFFs in the local media turn on him after a few 6 win seasons. It doesn’t matter how much our coach kisses ***, they will always pander to the dog fans. If he strings together a few 10 win seasons, don’t be surprised when he realizes FSU or somewhere else that supports football was actually his dream job all along.

I’m curious to see what kind of staff he puts together. That will be one indicator that he and GT might be able to elevate the program, but will we suddenly start paying what it takes to attract the best coordinators? I hope GT does start doing what needs to be done and Collins is a great Success at GT and we build another statue. I’m not sure what “NFL style” means. Clearly no more triple option, but there is such a variety to systems that are now run at the NFL and college level, we’ll have to see what that really means. If we’re successful doing what everyone else is doing, that will be a first in my 22+ years as a Tech fan. I sat in my seats at Bobby Dodd and watched what Chan’s offense did with Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, and a good defense. If you’re too young to remember, it sucked. Collins is not Chan, and I see no reason not to give him a chance. I’m not excited by the hire at this point, but give the off season hype machine about 8 months to work.
Just curious, year after year what did Johnson do that got you excited? Other than the first 3/4 seasons his teams generally finished 7-5 with a lower tier bowl just like this season.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Spoiler alert: It’s difficult to score on great defenses with any offense. CPJ’s offense did score on all sorts of defenses and often out scored a lot of traditional offenses against teams who were stopping everyone else. If we had a DEFENSE some of those years (2009 and 2014) the offense was good enough to win it all.
Yeah, that's what you say, that's why he ran thru 6 DC's trying to throw the blame on them for the results. Please don't forget, Johnson always got his pick of players for his TO first, then the defense got what was left.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, year after year what did Johnson do that got you excited? Other than the first 3/4 seasons his teams generally finished 7-5 with a lower tier bowl just like this season.

Unlike in previous seasons, our guys never stopped playing under CPJ. Rarely were games or seasons over early. I found our offense a joy to watch.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I'm so happy that I am going to buy season tickets again, first time since 2015. I'm 76 and thought I would never buy them again since I am so comfortable watching on my big screen close to my beer and bathroom. Considering club seats for more comfortable seating, and beer. Can anybody tell me what 2 seats in club level would cost me?

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm so happy that I am going to buy season tickets again, first time since 2015. I'm 76 and thought I would never buy them again since I am so comfortable watching on my big screen close to my beer and bathroom. Considering club seats for more comfortable seating, and beer. Can anybody tell me what 2 seats in club level would cost me?

If you buy them and sit in them for the second half kickoff, those of us who live far enough away to watch most of the games on TV will know who you are. You will be the only one in that section...most of those clowns loiter in the AC sipping merlot or light beer rather than get out and watch the damn FB game. Leaving an unsightly cluster of vacant seats exactly where most of the TV cameras are focused.

Todd, please relocate these seats. Now. Or maybe just a few weeks after the Christmas break.

Bogey, go get your well deserved beers at half time. And herd those %$^ of a @#$%^& back to their seats BEFORE the kickoff please. And congrats for getting back in the fray. It's not easy, but if it were, everybody would be doing it.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If you buy them and sit in them for the second half kickoff, those of us who live far enough away to watch most of the games on TV will know who you are. You will be the only one in that section...most of those clowns loiter in the AC sipping merlot or light beer rather than get out and watch the damn FB game. Leaving an unsightly cluster of vacant seats exactly where most of the TV cameras are focused.

Todd, please relocate these seats. Now. Or maybe just a few weeks after the Christmas break.

Bogey, go get your well deserved beers at half time. And herd those %$^ of a @#$%^& back to their seats BEFORE the kickoff please. And congrats for getting back in the fray. It's not easy, but if it were, everybody would be doing it.
Hey, if I pay so much money, I will be sitting in them! LOL
My son, also a Tech grad, wants us to buy in 205 near his friends. If we can get seats on an end, that is probably where we will be since my balance and bladder not so good. Just checking, maybe I can turn him to club if I pay. [emoji4]

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Just checking, maybe I can turn him to club if I pay. [emoji4]

heck, Bogey, if you are paying...get me one too. I prefer about 25 rows up/ we'll get our beers and make sure the rest of them are out of the lounge to see the KO. I'll pay for pre- and post- game meals at the V.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
heck, Bogey, if you are paying...get me one too. I prefer about 25 rows up/ we'll get our beers and make sure the rest of them are out of the lounge to see the KO. I'll pay for pre- and post- game meals at the V.
If the market comes back soon, we may be able to work something out. But the V doesn't get it. Would take Bones. [emoji3]

GT05

Jolly Good Fellow
count me all in- this hire has a buzz around the program that hasn't been seen in awhile. The talk of dream job, and his enthusiasm about being back in Atlanta is showing. He's not just saying it, he is hitting the floor running hard and wants Tech to be special. What's not to like? Lifelong TECH fan and I'm thinking of getting season tickets for the first time.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah, that's what you say, that's why he ran thru 6 DC's trying to throw the blame on them for the results. Please don't forget, Johnson always got his pick of players for his TO first, then the defense got what was left.

6 DCs? Hmmm, your one of those huh? Johnson had the pick of players first? What a crock of ****. Almost all of the players who played offense were specifically told they would play offense and vice versa. There's probably as many examples of players who could have been on offense who went to the defense.

People asking a question is NOT an anti CPJ (or any other coach ) RANT.

People need to stop with this canard.

Is that one just asking a question?

CPJ is gone. He did himself and GT a huge favor by leaving. It's time to move on, but posts like this are complete bullcrap.

6 DCs? Try 4. Wommack, Groh, Roof and Woody. Tenuta doesn't count, Kelly doesn't count (unless you just blindly hate PJ so much you just spew crap). The recruiting stuff is just complete nonsense. Defense has probabky had more of the highly touted recruits under CPJ and none of them were forced to play offense or picked for offense in a biased way. Almost all recruits have come in the door with a position group defined and there actually wasn't a ton of crossover.