Anyone else just really happy?

So, how many 330 kicks did we have this year?

Have you personally talked to any 18 year old college prospects in the last few years? I have. It's universal,. They ALL think they have a chance at the NFL and nobody wants to play in a program that doesn't give them that opportunity.

So why do kids come to Tech at all. We are not nor have ever been an NFL factory.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Here's another old guy comment that you may ignore if you wish. I have been watching GT football since the 70's. the one thing that I have learned is that it is recreation and that the outcomes of the game are independent of my feelings toward the coach, players, kickoff times, etc. Given all that, I get to choose how I respond to the news. I am choosing to be happy and excited and want to see what he can do. He has done NOTHING to cause me to be upset or angry and I loved his enthusiasm.

Of course, I can choose to be angry because he is not Coach X who I wanted..or he is not a TO coach. But, in all honesty, wtf would I choose that option?? This guy may be a dud....or he might become the next Saban. I am not smart enough to predict the future so I am going to settle in, enjoy the ride, and support the team, the coach and the program until given reason (not dredged up figments of my imagination about what MAY happen) to do otherwise. People who are pissed off about this probably get mad about the weather and other thing outside of their control.
Wow !! This describes me perfectly !! Maybe it is just an age thing .....

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So why do kids come to Tech at all. We are not nor have ever been an NFL factory.

You just reinforced my point. It is about RECRUITING. I can find 100 kids that would jump at the chanch to play college football and sign with Tech. Can they play D1 forball and win?

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Counting only players Drafted and for the year they were coached, example 2008 is Chan Gailey:

CPJ 19
CCG 14
CGO 12

So we average about 2 per year regardless of the Coach, Offense etc.
At least make honest arguments. You know dang well Demaryius Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett and others were recruited under Gailey, and likely would not have come under CPJ.

Very interesting. Do you have a breakdown on players?

Break down by what, positions etc. In those years we put more players in on defense than offense. Another point of note for all the QB hounds that think we can get NFL caliber, since 1970, we have only had e QBs drafted, Mike Kelley, Jim BobTaylor, and Joe Hamilton. And none of them ever played much.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
At least make honest arguments. You know dang well Demaryius Thomas, Derrick Morgan, Morgan Burnett and others were recruited under Gailey, and likely would not have come under CPJ.

I'll give you Thomas (even as a 3 star) and Dwyer but what makes you think D.Morgan and M.Burnett wouldn't have signed with Tech under PJ?

The original point was we used to get more NFL players, I am simply pointing out that under the last 3 coaches, regardless of systems etc, we average 2 per year.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Break down by what, positions etc. In those years we put more players in on defense than offense. Another point of note for all the QB hounds that think we can get NFL caliber, since 1970, we have only had e QBs drafted, Mike Kelley, Jim BobTaylor, and Joe Hamilton. And none of them ever played much.

I would encourage you to get behind the new coach. I believe the debates on this board have taken some of the joy out of fandom for you. We have gone through stretches where we have recruited well and put people in the pros. No reason to run down our program to support s coach.

By the way, the best year was 2004, O'Leary recruits, we put 5 in. 1 offensive player, 4 defensive players.