Anyone else just really happy?

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Confused by your bolded comments. It has been lamented ad nauseum that kids think they can play in the NFL and choose schools they think can get them there. The TO offense made it VERY unlikely that would happen. You must align your recruiting with the needs of recruits if you hope to attract more talent.

Further, I think 11 years of players not mastering the offense, their defensive assignments, or their ST responsibilities has shown us that we actually had neither recruiting nor coaching (at least not to the level needed to sustain success).
Excellent point !

Folks, I like the hire we made, but you all are lost in a world of gold tinted glasses. We will always have issues recruiting due to academics. Yes we may get a kid who didn't want to play CPJs offense but we are not going to recruit D lineman like UGA or Bama. Those guys can hardly spell their name much less get in and stay at Tech. Again let's see what he does on the field coaching. See, I don't believe in recruiting stars and all that crap. Many of our best players were 2 and 3 star guys that got coached. The Miami team we played this year is loaded with 4 and 5 star players. That defense of theirs will send at least 7 to the NFL. How did that work out. Bobby Dodd did not have the best players either. He coached the team up and out schemed the other team.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Paul gave us some great memories. I was only 15 when he was hired so some of my biggest “football moments” where with CPJ as coach. I won’t ever forget the 08 UGA game, the FSU games, the ACC championship, and the Orange bowl. I appreciated CPJ and I always will. That being said coach Collins had me ready to run through a brick wall. I’m really excited to see where he can take us and I hope I have some great new memories for this part of my life.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don't understand why anybody wouldn't be. All the prospective coaches had question marks - we simply can't afford the two or three names in college FB that would be universally supported and welcomed here (at least on day one). So, why the angst and the need to borrow trouble? All of us in the "happy" camp are aware of the risk but are willing to support and beelieve until we have been given evidence to the contrary.

If you are unhappy, I am curious - were/are you emotionally attached to one of the other rumored candidates that had as many if not more question marks around them? That seems illogical and emotional. Or were you wedded to a system and wanted a TO coach to replace Paul?
I’m not unhappy about the hire one bit. I think you’re misunderstanding. We’ve got people on here wanting to run off those of us who supported the Team the last 1, 2, 3 and in some cases 4 decades or more because we refused to crap on our Team, piss and moan about how ****ty the players and coaches are, etc. I’m about to embark on decade 5 of being a GT fan. I’ve seen a wide variety of leaders and systems. We have generally operated in a narrow performance band. I’m hopeful for better times ahead but I’m also experienced enough to know that if you don’t actually make improvements, you’re unlikely to improve.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have seen many coaches come and go at Tech. One press conference does not make a season. I like the fact he has been here before and realizes the reality of recruiting at Tech. For those of you with the gold tinted glasses on today, it is still an issue. I worry when he starts talking about kids going to play pro football. I don't care about pro football, I care about Tech football. I worry that he will bring in a pro style offense like Chan Gailey. But at the end of the day I am a Tech fan. I expect him to have at least 7 wins next year and 8 if he achieves, CPJ did it so it can be done. Football is not about recruiting, it is about coaching. For us reality comes in August in Death Valley. Then we will see what kind of a coach we have hired.

We won’t learn a damn thing about CGC after one game. CPJ had such good success in year one and two because of Geoff Collins and Chan’s Gift of the best recruiting class in school history. Anyone could have won with that talent in the cupboard. That’s super ironic isn’t it? CPJ benefited from Geoff Collins recruiting class. Lol...talk about full circle. The same cannot be said for what PJ and his recruiting staff have left CGC.

Man...I literally just disproved everything you said with 100% fact that it takes coaching and recruiting. Not just coaching.

I’m not unhappy about the hire one bit. I think you’re misunderstanding. We’ve got people on here wanting to run off those of us who supported the Team the last 1, 2, 3 and in some cases 4 decades or more because we refused to crap on our Team, piss and moan about how ****ty the players and coaches are, etc. I’m about to embark on decade 5 of being a GT fan. I’ve seen a wide variety of leaders and systems. We have generally operated in a narrow performance band. I’m hopeful for better times ahead but I’m also experienced enough to know that if you don’t actually make improvements, you’re unlikely to improve.

thank you, I am heading for decade 6. Many on this board are 20 and 30 something's and I love their millennial excitement. The rest of us understand Tech and have seen the highs and the lows. You know as I CPJ was the best coach over his time we have had. Ross won us a NC but we had to endure a 2-9 and 3-8 season. And we saw it fall back to our 7-5 reality afterword.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I share SOME of your caution, but in today's CFB , as CPJ would say " it is what it is ". You hire a young aggressive coach with an excellent resume and expectations are high. If he does GREAT , does he move on ? If he FLOPS, then what ? Hey guess what , we would be asking these questions with ANY hire. CPJ retired, on his own terms - he didn't move on ( yet ) and he didn't get fired. Just curious , who WOULD you have been excited about ??
Someone who had won as a head coach at a level that was higher than other coaches at the same school. I was excited to see Lucas Johnson in the CPJ offense with a 2nd year CNW defense. I realize that he left on his own, but if GT was going to throw support behind a coach, I think we might have just lost our best shot. I just don’t care for the current trend in HC hires, and I’m not excited about a poor man’s Dabo. I hope he’s very successful. It’s a new direction for us, so hopefully it works out.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Folks, I like the hire we made, but you all are lost in a world of gold tinted glasses. We will always have issues recruiting due to academics. Yes we may get a kid who didn't want to play CPJs offense but we are not going to recruit D lineman like UGA or Bama. Those guys can hardly spell their name much less get in and stay at Tech. Again let's see what he does on the field coaching. See, I don't believe in recruiting stars and all that crap. Many of our best players were 2 and 3 star guys that got coached. The Miami team we played this year is loaded with 4 and 5 star players. That defense of theirs will send at least 7 to the NFL. How did that work out. Bobby Dodd did not have the best players either. He coached the team up and out schemed the other team.
I agree. But Miami/Richt was a terrible match to begin with personality wise. I think the coaches lost that that team, kind of like Petrino and UL. I don't believe stars are important . But recruiting guys who will buy in and play with their hair on fire , AND SOME who are looking ahead to the next level ( Shaq Mason ) are the keys to improving our team. And Bobby Dodd retired in the 60's , when I went to Tech , because, I think he saw the writing on the wall.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
You should believe in stars and all that crap. They are the best indicator of future success. Miami had no QB this year, and a hc that refused that doesn't adjust his O to his players strengths. Richt is loyal to a fault and has never hired great assistant coaches.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Then please don't comment back on Tech football since it is apparent you are not one who has experienced it. Thank you
Ok. I’ve seen the B** L**** days. Hamilton, Ball throwing it away on 4th down against ugag. Calvin at Clemson in 04. All the way to now. 2014 was a magical season. For the first time in a long time I’m excited about GT football

Ok. I’ve seen the B** L**** days. Hamilton, Ball throwing it away on 4th down against ugag. Calvin at Clemson in 04. All the way to now. 2014 was a magical season. For the first time in a long time I’m excited about GT football
And yet you never got season tickets? I live 1200 miles away and get tickets and get back for a few games. My Family has had tickets since 1931. You weren't excited in 08, 09, 2011 really?