Anyone else just really happy?

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m getting back on topic. I won’t be talked down to by some 5-6 decade old fans who are stuck in that era and can’t accept football has changed and we don’t need an old curmudgeon leading us and accepting GT can’t do better and blaming external factors on our woes.

I’ve said with the right coach and the right energy we can win within the program. We need creativity and innovation. Not going through the motions.

With that previous point, I am ecstatic about the hire. I think he checks the boxes and will have that energy and creativity to finally make GT not dependent on the “restrictions” that some like to use as an excuse.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Someone who had won as a head coach at a level that was higher than other coaches at the same school. I was excited to see Lucas Johnson in the CPJ offense with a 2nd year CNW defense. I realize that he left on his own, but if GT was going to throw support behind a coach, I think we might have just lost our best shot. I just don’t care for the current trend in HC hires, and I’m not excited about a poor man’s Dabo. I hope he’s very successful. It’s a new direction for us, so hopefully it works out.
I get it ! I USED to wish for CFB the way it used to be , also. I could throw up my hands and start watching HS football, but in reality that has changed ( not in a good way) too.
I LOVE CFB, and I LOVE TECH, so what is an old fart to do ? Keep complaining that the game has changed , and I 'm not watching that crap ? Well, I have already done that with the NFL and their multi million dollars contracts. I will always be excited about following TECH - sky high when we win , and pissed off when we lose. I have accepted the new reality that is CFB , because not to do so really dampers my enthusiasm. That's just me, though

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I’m getting back on topic. I won’t be talked down to by some 5-6 decade old fans who are stuck in that era and can’t accept football has changed and we don’t need an old curmudgeon leading us and accepting GT can’t do better and blaming external factors on our woes.

I’ve said with the right coach and the right energy we can win within the program. We need creativity and innovation. Not going through the motions.

With that previous point, I am ecstatic about the hire. I think he checks the boxes and will have that energy and creativity to finally make GT not dependent on the “restrictions” that some like to use as an excuse.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's a tissue for you.

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
thank you, I am heading for decade 6. Many on this board are 20 and 30 something's and I love their millennial excitement. The rest of us understand Tech and have seen the highs and the lows. You know as I CPJ was the best coach over his time we have had. Ross won us a NC but we had to endure a 2-9 and 3-8 season. And we saw it fall back to our 7-5 reality afterword.

Pulling the old age card? ... "I've seen it all, you young folks don't know anything". :-D

By the way, I'm your age and don't share a lot of your opinions. Just a fyi ...

As a seasoned fan, and an expert on football, I am curious, what do you want at Tech. Better, so I guess you expect us to be in the playoff every year huh. If the bar is better than CPJ, then our new coach better have some 12 win seasons because that is the bar CPJ set.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Folks, I like the hire we made, but you all are lost in a world of gold tinted glasses. We will always have issues recruiting due to academics. Yes we may get a kid who didn't want to play CPJs offense but we are not going to recruit D lineman like UGA or Bama. Those guys can hardly spell their name much less get in and stay at Tech. Again let's see what he does on the field coaching. See, I don't believe in recruiting stars and all that crap. Many of our best players were 2 and 3 star guys that got coached. The Miami team we played this year is loaded with 4 and 5 star players. That defense of theirs will send at least 7 to the NFL. How did that work out. Bobby Dodd did not have the best players either. He coached the team up and out schemed the other team.
You know who the recruit was that took Stanford to the next level? Andrew Luck. Yes, he could make it academically at Tech, but that guy is not coming to play in an option system. You can recruit OL with academics to block for that QB too.

What CPJ did here was great. 2014 was a blast, but the smoke and mirrors were starting to show. He's been very lucky the Coastal has been a mess with Pitt, UVA, UNC, VT and Miami all going through subpar coaching situations. That's not going to continue forever, and the recent losses to Pitt, Duke, UVA in 17 all show you can't rely on beating superior athletic talent with a gimmick forever.

Whatever the limitations are for recruiting elite DL are exacerbated by the stigmas of the option offense. Whether true or not, the negative recruiting pitch of "you'll get cutblocked in practice!" can't be used anymore ON TOP of everything else.

CPJ was a great coach here, but his system was put in place accepting a certain ceiling and limitations and trying to maximize against that. I'm ready to move on to the next era, and give it a chance. For the option lovers, stop pining over the girlfriend that left. She's gone. From what I can gather I don't think Monken or Bohannon were ever a serious consideration. Continuing the option was never in TStan's plans.

Last edited:

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Ok, CPJ was a hell of a recruiter then because he is the winningest Tech coach since Dodd.
Who is saying coach bad.
I dont care about old stats .

Liars, damn liars, and statitsians (sic)..

Numbers for stats guys
Bill Lewis was 5 and 6 his first 2 years. Imo if he played elon twice he would be 6 and 6. That's about average. He then had a cliff fall and got fired.
Looking at stats for last 4 years 3-9, 9-4 , 5-6, 7-5. Add them up and you are at 6-6. Reorder w highest to lowest and it looks bad = this is Bill Lewis bad 9-4, 7-5, 5-6, 3-9.

I love coach johnson. He is a football legend and kept gt football from going into a dark place. Imo, he quit to send the message to us to get serious.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I get it ! I USED to wish for CFB the way it used to be , also. I could throw up my hands and start watching HS football, but in reality that has changed ( not in a good way) too.
I LOVE CFB, and I LOVE TECH, so what is an old fart to do ? Keep complaining that the game has changed , and I 'm not watching that crap ? Well, I have already done that with the NFL and their multi million dollars contracts. I will always be excited about following TECH - sky high when we win , and pissed off when we lose. I have accepted the new reality that is CFB , because not to do so really dampers my enthusiasm. That's just me, though

:bigtears::arghh:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
thank you, I am heading for decade 6. Many on this board are 20 and 30 something's and I love their millennial excitement. The rest of us understand Tech and have seen the highs and the lows. You know as I CPJ was the best coach over his time we have had. Ross won us a NC but we had to endure a 2-9 and 3-8 season. And we saw it fall back to our 7-5 reality afterword.
I am headed to the 70's in 2 years. 1973 grad.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

Here's another old guy comment that you may ignore if you wish. I have been watching GT football since the 70's. the one thing that I have learned is that it is recreation and that the outcomes of the game are independent of my feelings toward the coach, players, kickoff times, etc. Given all that, I get to choose how I respond to the news. I am choosing to be happy and excited and want to see what he can do. He has done NOTHING to cause me to be upset or angry and I loved his enthusiasm.

Of course, I can choose to be angry because he is not Coach X who I wanted..or he is not a TO coach. But, in all honesty, wtf would I choose that option?? This guy may be a dud....or he might become the next Saban. I am not smart enough to predict the future so I am going to settle in, enjoy the ride, and support the team, the coach and the program until given reason (not dredged up figments of my imagination about what MAY happen) to do otherwise. People who are pissed off about this probably get mad about the weather and other thing outside of their control.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
GT is a conservative place so some of Collins antics wont be popular with everyone. Both Collins and Stansbury have said this overtly. And we see it here already.

I do think it very likely Collins would be a blast to play for. And I also want to see what if anything he and T-Stan can do together to make Tech football more significant in the ATL. Like Dabo he may be goofy, salesmanish, at times hard to stomach, etc, and folks will say it doesnt represent the institute well. But if via recruiting and brand building he builds a financially successful, winning program, graduates his kids, builds the total person, etc....that's building excellence, which is what GT is really about.

I respect and have enjoyed the successes of the CPJ years, and we have moved on. I dont see why fans are bashing each other over him or the 3O. I also see no reason why fans are rushing to defend Collins...I dont see any major attacks, just some folks chaffing at the stuff Collins himself acknowledges he comes with, or taking a wait and see attitude.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mines daughter is a dual degree at Tech. Computer Engineering and Physics. Brilliant.

That’s Tech. We are one of the Top 50 technical universities in the world. And we are still playing competitive football at the D1 level. MIT doesn’t. Caltech doesn’t. Carnegie Mellon doesn’t. It’s Tech. And Tech alone.

It’s close enough that we could be ranked again. Top 25. And how cool is that?

Let’s celebrate our school. And the sports program is the front porch. Let’s use it to invite everyone in and have a look. It’s not Parks and Recreation, I can assure you.

Here's another old guy comment that you may ignore if you wish. I have been watching GT football since the 70's. the one thing that I have learned is that it is recreation and that the outcomes of the game are independent of my feelings toward the coach, players, kickoff times, etc. Given all that, I get to choose how I respond to the news. I am choosing to be happy and excited and want to see what he can do. He has done NOTHING to cause me to be upset or angry and I loved his enthusiasm.

Of course, I can choose to be angry because he is not Coach X who I wanted..or he is not a TO coach. But, in all honesty, wtf would I choose that option?? This guy may be a dud....or he might become the next Saban. I am not smart enough to predict the future so I am going to settle in, enjoy the ride, and support the team, the coach and the program until given reason (not dredged up figments of my imagination about what MAY happen) to do otherwise. People who are pissed off about this probably get mad about the weather and other thing outside of their control.
This is exactly how I feel about this. Let's see what we do on the field. But win or lose I will always be a Tech fan and 1-9-1 I will always be in the stands.......Notre Dame 1980.