Anyone else just really happy?

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree that CPG is/was a class act. I think you underestimate the negative effects of his "Eeyore" personality on fans, donors and the media. He coached his way to the exit through his recruiting, performance, and persona.

Collins is the antidote for the malaise that crept into GT football. Most on this board laughed at Dabo in years 1 & 2, but he revived Clemson FB through his salesmanship. I hope the same thing happens to us.
I think Dabo revived Clemson with his enthusiasm. He’s not slick, he’s enthusiastic and tireless.

I really do like the hire, but I want a Dabo, not a Butch Jones.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Who is saying coach bad.

I love coach johnson. He is a football legend and kept gt football from going into a dark place. Imo, he quit to send the message to us to get serious.

CPJ provided Tech with stability during a period when we needed it. You can’t evaluate a record without knowing the financial condition behind the program. And it wasn’t good.

CPJ didn’t quit to send a message. He retired. He said so. No need to assign intent when he said there wasn’t anything to it other than ... he was ready.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
All of those caveats and risks are all fine and good, but it doesn’t make us think you’re smarter that you’ve laid them out for us. Sure, there are risks with any hire, particularly if the hire has only been a head coach for two years. We don’t need to hear about the risks time and again, we get it.
Calling him a used car salesman is complete BS too. PJ could care less about how he was perceived by recruits, and it certainly showed. When we got new uniforms, he kept saying “well, I guess it is important to the kids these days”. Hell yes it is....CGC understands that kind of mentality and can sell it, but that doesn’t make him a used car salesman.
I didn’t get the used car salesman vibe at all. It was more like a door-to-salesman or a political stump speech to me. ;)

Not a fan of that style but I’m fine if he wins, graduates his players, runs a clean program with no off the field embarrassments and truly cares about his players. We had, btw, that with the last guy minus the factory winning percentage.

I really hope Slick G gets in the “elites” like he promises and out-dabo’s Dabo on a shoestring budget. :rolleyes:

I think Dabo revived Clemson with his enthusiasm. He’s not slick, he’s enthusiastic and tireless.

Look, I loved the presser and the newness and enthusiasm, But what I know is this. He has been at Tech before and recruited at Tech. He understands the reality that he cannot compete with UGA, BAMA, and Clemson for recruits. Tech does not offer Ethnic Studies, PE and Criminal behavior studies as degrees.. The latter is for later use by UGA players over the summer. He knows he has to go outside the State of Georgia to get players. That is what I like. Saban commented that he wanted Collins stating, if he can recruit at Tech he can recruit anywhere. What I am waiting on is to see what he id going to do on the field. Offense and Defense, for all of us on this board this morning we do not know what systems he is going to run.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer

You're always taking a risk. But, IMO, you don't go forward or upward without risk. Even if he is successful, get ready because he's probably gone but hopefully the profile of your program's Top 25 for the next guy. That's not where we are now.

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
Look, I loved the presser and the newness and enthusiasm, But what I know is this. He has been at Tech before and recruited at Tech. He understands the reality that he cannot compete with UGA, BAMA, and Clemson for recruits. Tech does not offer Ethnic Studies, PE and Criminal behavior studies as degrees.. The latter is for later use by UGA players over the summer. He knows he has to go outside the State of Georgia to get players. That is what I like. Saban commented that he wanted Collins stating, if he can recruit at Tech he can recruit anywhere. What I am waiting on is to see what he id going to do on the field. Offense and Defense, for all of us on this board this morning we do not know what systems he is going to run.
True! At the end of the day the enthusiasm and sales pitch is not enough. GT does not offer the degrees that certain athletes are looking for.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
True! At the end of the day the enthusiasm and sales pitch is not enough. GT does not offer the degrees that certain athletes are looking for.
That's where salesmanship and coaching come in. Again, so you think all the guys we're poaching from AAC teams want to major in management? We're selling Antwan Owens and Tariq Carpenter P5 football over UCF. We can sell a Top 25 program if we can build it.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Seriously you've got to stop being a debbie downer. Man come on

TVan

Georgia Tech Fan
That's where salesmanship and coaching come in. Again, so you think all the guys we're poaching from AAC teams want to major in management? We're selling Antwan Owens and Tariq Carpenter P5 football over UCF. We can sell a Top 25 program if we can build it.

JackFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Someone who had won as a head coach at a level that was higher than other coaches at the same school. I was excited to see Lucas Johnson in the CPJ offense with a 2nd year CNW defense. I realize that he left on his own, but if GT was going to throw support behind a coach, I think we might have just lost our best shot. I just don’t care for the current trend in HC hires, and I’m not excited about a poor man’s Dabo. I hope he’s very successful. It’s a new direction for us, so hopefully it works out.
A poor man’s Dabo??? That’s funny. When Dabo was hired, he was a poor man’s CGC.

SoMsJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Happy media does not get you 3:30 kicks, winning does.

So, how many 330 kicks did we have this year?

Have you personally talked to any 18 year old college prospects in the last few years? I have. It's universal,. They ALL think they have a chance at the NFL and nobody wants to play in a program that doesn't give them that opportunity.