Anyone else just really happy?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Let me first say that I like the hire, and I think he will recruit as well as anyone can at GT. I don’t want to throw cold water on Geoff, I just hope he isn’t writing checks his a$$ can’t cash with all the NFL talk.

At the end of the day it is an experiment a large part of the fanbase have been asking for and needs to happen. Either CPJ was correct and you aren’t going to fill GT with the talent of Bama/Clemson regardless of how hard you recruit, or Geoff is correct and you can. We will see. I have heard a lot of good speeches in my time, so I approach them with a bit of skepticism. As CPJ said, show me don’t tell me. We are going to see how it goes.

Agree with your points. I am extremely happy with his press conference but like you, am old enough to know that in my everyday work life, there were/are guys who sounded great in meetings, but added little or no value to the bottom line.

WTBS, a coach is in a precarious situation....I think a CPJ, Saban, Bellichik (Sp?) type of presser right out of the gate would have been an absolute disaster. The media is part of the job...you either get in front of it and control it, or you don't and let the chips fall where they may. I wished CPJ had a better understanding of this as I believe it would have helped him and GT in the long run. I want a coach who projects energy and has fun with the media....guys like Spurrier, Cremins, Dabo,Jimmy V come to mind.

At the end of the day, I like that he kickstarted the whole CGC thing with a bang.We need a shot of adrenaline. However, three years from now....nobody is going to remember or care what was said yesterday.

JackFan

Georgia Tech Fan
His referring to GT has his “dream job” is refreshing on the surface, but his used car salesman personality makes me wonder if he means that. Some of you might not have liked what CPJ had to say some of the time, but you always knew he meant every word. I liked having an old-school X and O coach while everyone else went recruiter first, coach second with their HC, but I guess we’re going to be part of that trend now. I hope he is successful, but I’m more concerned with winning games than winning a press conference. Collins is clearly the Anti-CPJ in so many ways. We’ll see how it turns out. Don’t be surprised when his BFFs in the local media turn on him after a few 6 win seasons. It doesn’t matter how much our coach kisses ***, they will always pander to the dog fans. If he strings together a few 10 win seasons, don’t be surprised when he realizes FSU or somewhere else that supports football was actually his dream job all along.

I’m curious to see what kind of staff he puts together. That will be one indicator that he and GT might be able to elevate the program, but will we suddenly start paying what it takes to attract the best coordinators? I hope GT does start doing what needs to be done and Collins is a great Success at GT and we build another statue. I’m not sure what “NFL style” means. Clearly no more triple option, but there is such a variety to systems that are now run at the NFL and college level, we’ll have to see what that really means. If we’re successful doing what everyone else is doing, that will be a first in my 22+ years as a Tech fan. I sat in my seats at Bobby Dodd and watched what Chan’s offense did with Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, and a good defense. If you’re too young to remember, it sucked. Collins is not Chan, and I see no reason not to give him a chance. I’m not excited by the hire at this point, but give the off season hype machine about 8 months to work.

All of those caveats and risks are all fine and good, but it doesn’t make us think you’re smarter that you’ve laid them out for us. Sure, there are risks with any hire, particularly if the hire has only been a head coach for two years. We don’t need to hear about the risks time and again, we get it.
Calling him a used car salesman is complete BS too. PJ could care less about how he was perceived by recruits, and it certainly showed. When we got new uniforms, he kept saying “well, I guess it is important to the kids these days”. Hell yes it is....CGC understands that kind of mentality and can sell it, but that doesn’t make him a used car salesman.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
PJ offense could not score on great defenses.
Spoiler alert: It’s difficult to score on great defenses with any offense. CPJ’s offense did score on all sorts of defenses and often out scored a lot of traditional offenses against teams who were stopping everyone else. If we had a DEFENSE some of those years (2009 and 2014) the offense was good enough to win it all.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
PJ offense could not score on great defenses.

I disagree. We were never shutout, and the 16/14/12/11/09/08 teams scored a lot of points on great defenses, including the one Geoff built. In 14. Now, there were a lot of times we didn’t score enough, but we scored. If UGA beat us 7-0, it is just as much of a loss as 42-17 in my opinion.

I hope Geoff does great and I support him and the team as always.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Spoiler alert: It’s difficult to score on great defenses with any offense. CPJ’s offense did score on all sorts of defenses and often out scored a lot of traditional offenses against teams who were stopping everyone else. If we had a DEFENSE some of those years (2009 and 2014) the offense was good enough to win it all.
He said specially PJ offense scored on great defensive ball teams. Well they don’t

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
I disagree. We were never shutout, and the 16/14/12/11/09/08 teams scored a lot of points on great defenses, including the one Geoff built. In 14. Now, there were a lot of times we didn’t score enough, but we scored. If UGA beat us 7-0, it is just as much of a loss as 42-17 in my opinion.

I hope Geoff does great and I support him and the team as always.
It’s amazing. You knew you were being negative so you had to throw I support GT in there

BuzzThePlumber

Helluva Engineer
Damn right I’m happy. Let’s see just what we can do with the right vision, attitude, and relentless determination. And yes, I also at the same time love and will miss CPJ.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It’s amazing. You knew you were being negative so you had to throw I support GT in there

It is amazing I disproved your point so you changed the subject.

I thought the presser was great. He said the right things, but I am experienced enough to know that if he doesn’t deliver fans will want to run him out of town. I support the hire, it is an experiment that needs to happen. It should be fun for the players, and I think it will have some success in different ways than CPJ did. We have great SA that will do great things on and off the field. That is who we are and that is not going to change. CGC has my full support just like CPJ. My response was more intended to temper some expectations of the fanbase. My intent wasn’t to be negative, just realistic. I think a lot of the fan base assumes we will score on offense because we traditionally have. That isn’t necessarily true.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
It is amazing I disproved your point so you changed the subject.

I thought the presser was great. He said the right things, but I am experienced enough to know that if he doesn’t deliver fans will want to run him out of town. I support the hire, it is an experiment that needs to happen. It should be fun for the players, and I think it will have some success in different ways than CPJ did. We have great SA that will do great things on and off the field. That is who we are and that is not going to change. CGC has my full support just like CPJ. My response was more intended to temper some expectations of the fanbase. My intent wasn’t to be negative, just realistic. I think a lot of the fan base assumes we will score on offense because we traditionally have. That isn’t necessarily true.
You didn’t disprove my point. GT record against any team with half a defense. They lay an egg. 14 was an exception.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

In 2009 Iowa held that offense to 14, Miami held it to 17, and a terrible is team held it to 24.

In 2014 a good defense would have had us in the playoffs.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
All of those caveats and risks are all fine and good, but it doesn’t make us think you’re smarter that you’ve laid them out for us. Sure, there are risks with any hire, particularly if the hire has only been a head coach for two years. We don’t need to hear about the risks time and again, we get it.
Calling him a used car salesman is complete BS too. PJ could care less about how he was perceived by recruits, and it certainly showed. When we got new uniforms, he kept saying “well, I guess it is important to the kids these days”. Hell yes it is....CGC understands that kind of mentality and can sell it, but that doesn’t make him a used car salesman.
You can call my used car salesman label “BS”, but clearly we agree that Collins is more of a salesman than CPJ. I would love to have a guy like that as a recruiting coordinator, but I prefer a Head Coach who is known for coaching rather than selling. Given that our coach showed himself to the door, and the reputation of our program over the past 17 years or so, we have no choice but to take a risk. Again, I hope it works out, and honestly I can’t think of a clearly better choice among coaches who would actually be interested in the job.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
In 2009 Iowa held that offense to 14, Miami held it to 17, and a terrible is team held it to 24.

In 2014 a good defense would have had us in the playoffs.
I didn’t say we always lit it up against great defenses. Just that our struggles against great defenses were not unique, and sometimes we did quite well.

Mojo71

Georgia Tech Fan
Very, very excited Tech hired tbe right coach to lead the team back to the top. Now I just hope Stans hires the right basketball coach! Oooh weee!

JackFan

Georgia Tech Fan
You can call my used car salesman label “BS”, but clearly we agree that Collins is more of a salesman than CPJ. I would love to have a guy like that as a recruiting coordinator, but I prefer a Head Coach who is known for coaching rather than selling. Given that our coach showed himself to the door, and the reputation of our program over the past 17 years or so, we have no choice but to take a risk. Again, I hope it works out, and honestly I can’t think of a clearly better choice among coaches who would actually be interested in the job.

To be clear, calling someone a used car salesman is a derogatory term. Of course he is a better salesman, and that is a great thing. If you think Dabo is a great coach, go back and watch the first few years that he was at Clemson. Dabo learned to use his sales skills to also sell the opportunity to coaches around him, and those coaches are a major reason to why he is successful now....on top of great recruiting from his sales skills.

We need someone to sell the program, unite the base, recruit, and hire a good staff. By the way, he seems to be a pretty good defensive coach too. Get on the bus.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Who said they were shutout. Wow 10 points. And for the record ugag 1st sting did shut them out. Backups and walk-one don’t count

Okay captain. I guess CPJ set the bar so low on offense that I am wrong and we should now expect better. Let’s revisit the topic in a couple years and see.