Anyone else just really happy?

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay captain. I guess CPJ set the bar so low on offense that I am wrong and we should now expect better. Let’s revisit the topic in a couple years and see.
Never said it was low. Just that great defensive teams. Stopped it. But yeah. We will see.

I have seen many coaches come and go at Tech. One press conference does not make a season. I like the fact he has been here before and realizes the reality of recruiting at Tech. For those of you with the gold tinted glasses on today, it is still an issue. I worry when he starts talking about kids going to play pro football. I don't care about pro football, I care about Tech football. I worry that he will bring in a pro style offense like Chan Gailey. But at the end of the day I am a Tech fan. I expect him to have at least 7 wins next year and 8 if he achieves, CPJ did it so it can be done. Football is not about recruiting, it is about coaching. For us reality comes in August in Death Valley. Then we will see what kind of a coach we have hired.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
And the other half needs to grow up and quit trying to spread divisiveness. Jeesh guys, give it a break. Can we get downvotes on here?

I'm happy we have a new coach, really hope that he can be successful in leading our squad, and look forward to all the positive speculation about the changes. I'm very thankful for CPJ's leadership, still impressed with the general effectiveness of that offense's ROT (Return on Talent), and hope him the best in his year off.
Excellent !!

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen many coaches come and go at Tech. One press conference does not make a season. I like the fact he has been here before and realizes the reality of recruiting at Tech. For those of you with the gold tinted glasses on today, it is still an issue. I worry when he starts talking about kids going to play pro football. I don't care about pro football, I care about Tech football. I worry that he will bring in a pro style offense like Chan Gailey. But at the end of the day I am a Tech fan. I expect him to have at least 7 wins next year and 8 if he achieves, CPJ did it so it can be done. Football is not about recruiting, it is about coaching. For us reality comes in August in Death Valley. Then we will see what kind of a coach we have hired.
College football is RECRUITING.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
You can call my used car salesman label “BS”, but clearly we agree that Collins is more of a salesman than CPJ. I would love to have a guy like that as a recruiting coordinator, but I prefer a Head Coach who is known for coaching rather than selling. Given that our coach showed himself to the door, and the reputation of our program over the past 17 years or so, we have no choice but to take a risk. Again, I hope it works out, and honestly I can’t think of a clearly better choice among coaches who would actually be interested in the job.

I agree that CPG is/was a class act. I think you underestimate the negative effects of his "Eeyore" personality on fans, donors and the media. He coached his way to the exit through his recruiting, performance, and persona.

Collins is the antidote for the malaise that crept into GT football. Most on this board laughed at Dabo in years 1 & 2, but he revived Clemson FB through his salesmanship. I hope the same thing happens to us.

Agree with your points. I am extremely happy with his press conference but like you, am old enough to know that in my everyday work life, there were/are guys who sounded great in meetings, but added little or no value to the bottom line.

WTBS, a coach is in a precarious situation....I think a CPJ, Saban, Bellichik (Sp?) type of presser right out of the gate would have been an absolute disaster. The media is part of the job...you either get in front of it and control it, or you don't and let the chips fall where they may. I wished CPJ had a better understanding of this as I believe it would have helped him and GT in the long run. I want a coach who projects energy and has fun with the media....guys like Spurrier, Cremins, Dabo,Jimmy V come to mind.

At the end of the day, I like that he kickstarted the whole CGC thing with a bang.We need a shot of adrenaline. However, three years from now....nobody is going to remember or care what was said yesterday.

LOL who cares about the media, they don't win football games. You think Saban loves the media.......

GPD

Jolly Good Fellow
Excited enough that we just went online and made deposit for 4 additional season tickets beyond what we normally do... and as pledged in an earlier post, we are going to up our (relatively modest) giving...

We were NOT anti Coach Johnson at ALL, that is not the reason for increased giving. We just feel an overall increased commitment from Tech to elevating our football program, so we are doing our small part to support the effort.

Sense exciting times on the horizon... and thank you Coach Johnson for your professionalism and grace in your decision of how you chose to take the next step in your journey.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
All of those caveats and risks are all fine and good, but it doesn’t make us think you’re smarter that you’ve laid them out for us. Sure, there are risks with any hire, particularly if the hire has only been a head coach for two years. We don’t need to hear about the risks time and again, we get it.
Calling him a used car salesman is complete BS too. PJ could care less about how he was perceived by recruits, and it certainly showed. When we got new uniforms, he kept saying “well, I guess it is important to the kids these days”. Hell yes it is....CGC understands that kind of mentality and can sell it, but that doesn’t make him a used car salesman.

6 posts since 2013.

Please keep posting!

These are the same people that said we run the damn ball, there is no need to pass. We failed to see that coach would not beg for important improvements to get him better players.

You guys know that this year tstan sat w coach every pre game. They have talked and tstan thinks we need a recruiter head coach who demands everyone be a recruiter.

Last edited:

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
His referring to GT has his “dream job” is refreshing on the surface, but his used car salesman personality makes me wonder if he means that. Some of you might not have liked what CPJ had to say some of the time, but you always knew he meant every word. I liked having an old-school X and O coach while everyone else went recruiter first, coach second with their HC, but I guess we’re going to be part of that trend now. I hope he is successful, but I’m more concerned with winning games than winning a press conference. Collins is clearly the Anti-CPJ in so many ways. We’ll see how it turns out. Don’t be surprised when his BFFs in the local media turn on him after a few 6 win seasons. It doesn’t matter how much our coach kisses ***, they will always pander to the dog fans. If he strings together a few 10 win seasons, don’t be surprised when he realizes FSU or somewhere else that supports football was actually his dream job all along.

I’m curious to see what kind of staff he puts together. That will be one indicator that he and GT might be able to elevate the program, but will we suddenly start paying what it takes to attract the best coordinators? I hope GT does start doing what needs to be done and Collins is a great Success at GT and we build another statue. I’m not sure what “NFL style” means. Clearly no more triple option, but there is such a variety to systems that are now run at the NFL and college level, we’ll have to see what that really means. If we’re successful doing what everyone else is doing, that will be a first in my 22+ years as a Tech fan. I sat in my seats at Bobby Dodd and watched what Chan’s offense did with Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice, and a good defense. If you’re too young to remember, it sucked. Collins is not Chan, and I see no reason not to give him a chance. I’m not excited by the hire at this point, but give the off season hype machine about 8 months to work.
I share SOME of your caution, but in today's CFB , as CPJ would say " it is what it is ". You hire a young aggressive coach with an excellent resume and expectations are high. If he does GREAT , does he move on ? If he FLOPS, then what ? Hey guess what , we would be asking these questions with ANY hire. CPJ retired, on his own terms - he didn't move on ( yet ) and he didn't get fired. Just curious , who WOULD you have been excited about ??

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
A head coach is responsible for the entire product you see on the field, which includes special teams and defense. While CPJ had some good offenses over the years, I never liked our chances against superior talent that had time to prepare. And with a few exceptions, our special teams and defense didn't step up and compensate. I'm happy that GT is going in a different direction. I don't follow GT football as close as I use to, so I really didn't have any expectations when I tuned into Collins' press conference. I was blown away. I saw a man from ATL who wanted to come home and referred to GT as his dream job! I saw a man who can recruit and motivate, and if he surrounds himself with a top staff, I think he'll be successful. CG had a top #15 class, and there's no reason we can't do that again. It'll be interesting to see who he hires as his offensive coordinator. I live in Dallas, TX and watch a lot of Big 12 football, and I'd love to see a Big 12 offense at GT!

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
One game , really ?? Wow, no pressure from you .......If we lose to the top ranked team in the country probably, you will think Collins is a flop ?

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I have seen many coaches come and go at Tech. One press conference does not make a season. I like the fact he has been here before and realizes the reality of recruiting at Tech. For those of you with the gold tinted glasses on today, it is still an issue. I worry when he starts talking about kids going to play pro football. 1 I worry that he will bring in a pro style offense like Chan Gailey. But at the end of the day I am a Tech fan. I expect him to have at least 7 wins next year and 8 if he achieves, CPJ did it so it can be done. Football is not about recruiting, it is about coaching. For us reality comes in August in Death Valley. Then we will see what kind of a coach we have hired.

Confused by your bolded comments. It has been lamented ad nauseum that kids think they can play in the NFL and choose schools they think can get them there. The TO offense made it VERY unlikely that would happen. You must align your recruiting with the needs of recruits if you hope to attract more talent.

Further, I think 11 years of players not mastering the offense, their defensive assignments, or their ST responsibilities has shown us that we actually had neither recruiting nor coaching (at least not to the level needed to sustain success).

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
One game , really ?? Wow, no pressure from you .......If we lose to the top ranked team in the country probably, you will think Collins is a flop ?
And I also disagree with your premise that CFB is not about recruiting, but coaching. Maybe back in my day 60's and 70's it was MORE about coaching, but IMO it STARTS with recruiting today , like it or not.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Excited enough that we just went online and made deposit for 4 additional season tickets beyond what we normally do... and as pledged in an earlier post, we are going to up our (relatively modest) giving...

We were NOT anti Coach Johnson at ALL, that is not the reason for increased giving. We just feel an overall increased commitment from Tech to elevating our football program, so we are doing our small part to support the effort.

Sense exciting times on the horizon... and thank you Coach Johnson for your professionalism and grace in your decision of how you chose to take the next step in your journey.

This is how it’s done.