Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

TarTriton

Georgia Tech Fan
Y'all need to calm down. Anybody remember Gardner-Webb?
Thoughts:
Mason seems to be so good. He and Benson as a combo will be fantastic. The A Backs were good too. O-line left something to be desired. The defense was pretty good to me, not fantastic but good.
Thoughts on TaQuon:
Y'all are too hard on him. He's an electric runner, and guess what: he made some nice pitches today! His passing was meh. Really I think he will improve as the season progresses. IT'S THE FIRST GAME PEOPLE! Expect some hiccups. We looked amazing in the first game last year and look what happened. There are things to fix, but I believe we will fix them.

Also: If Wesley Wells keeps kicking touchbacks, let him do KOs. King seems to have a lot more leg strength. Davis to me is all mental. He has a ice leg, but I think he's overthinking it.
I graduated with Wesley. He used to be able to put it out the back of the end zone. (But I think HS they kick further up I don’t remember)

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I made some notes during the game. I'll try not to be a Debbie downer after a 40pt win but here goes:

1st Half
1. Unis looked really good on my tv. Love the text font, loved the gold numbers
2. Hello Mason - he looks like he's gonna be a baller
3. We may have the worst kicking situation out of all the P5 teams, possibly even all of D1
4. TM looks bad passing
5. Loved CPJ's Adidas hat
6. Offense doesn't look smooth at all
7. Cottrell looks like a friggin race horse, let's find a way to get the dude some touches please
8. TM looks really bad passing
9. Wes is having trouble with the gold numbers, he couldn't identify the receivers to save his life. I'm wondering if it's gonna be an issue with announcers this season. How was it for you guys in the stadium?
10. TM looks extremely bad passing

2nd Half

1. KB looks like a mini-tank, his legs are like tree trunks. He looks like himself which is good.
2. Defense just looks more fun. I couldn't imagine playing Defense at Tech for the last few years where you had to read and react to everything rather than get to attack on occasion. How boring would that be?
3. PJ Simmons, the little RB from Alcorn, looks like a baller
4. The "4" on the jerseys looks ridiculous, not a huge fan of the number font (I like the text font though)
5. Bates in the booth with Wes was the most annoying dork today. He almost ruined the broadcast.
6. Crowd looks abysmal
7. We're gonna miss Lucas REALLY BAD
8. Great to preserve the shutout

Those are just the notes I jotted down during the game, I'm not gonna share my initial takeaway about our overall situation right now.

From the north stands you cannot see the numbers past the near 30 yard line at all. The sun reflects off the jersies and the numbers cannnot be seen. I hate them for that reason as I try to keep up with who is in the game...not a chance today.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I think people are forgetting how bad we looked at the beginning of 2014. I also think CPJ at some point will break out the

tenor.gif

I think some of the passing issues is getting the QB and the receiver on the same page. I think that was what Quon's last drive was accomplishing. Quon's footing got screwed up on the TD to Stewart, got a little lucky on that play.

I liked the play we got out of our S/Stinger group. We've recruited a LOT of talent in that group and it showed. Rivera was rather quiet, but I imagine he was directing traffic.

Our D looked competent, to the point it might win us a game at some point this season. We left them on the field a lot more than I'm used to, but we got ourselves into 3rd down a LOT more than we have in the recent past. And we had pass rush! The QB was usually throwing off balance, which may have led to the accuracy issues.

Still kind of wonder what happened when the DT got a free release on the counter (or should Quon have given to the B-back?) There were a few mis-reads on the mesh.

Oh, and the numbers are a bit shiny from my read in the upper east. Made it quite hard to read.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
My only concern after the game today was how abysmal TM’s passing was, we are going to have a tough season if he can’t do any better than that.

I am a little bit worried about lack of pass pressure from our Def but i’m assuming that Woody called a really vanilla game blitz-wize.
For someone who says he has been working on his passing , against an FCS opponent , I thought our passing was mediocre, at best. Won't cut it, unless it improves mightily.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Offense was meh overall. Although like someone above said, we could’ve gashed them with KB and JM all day long.

I LOVED what we did on D today. Better tackling (still need better), flying to the ball, swarm tackling, and no backpedaling 20 yards on 3rd and 12 (cushions still there at the snap, but much better awareness of where the sticks are and when to break).

1-0

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
For someone who says he has been working on his passing , against an FCS opponent , I thought our passing was mediocre, at best. Won't cut it, unless it improves mightily.

Mediocre? No...it was poor. 50% against an FCS opponent? Poor. Passes into tight coverage, passes way overthrown, etc. It wasn't like their DBs were just lights out. TM was making bad throws. He has to reach back rainbow anything over 30 yards. It's disappointing. You want to see a quick release with a flat trajectory. You don't want to see a WR and a DB standing still waiting for the ball to come.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
What I thought I saw out there today looked like a 6-6 team.

Last year, our offense was beaten by some solid defenses....Clemson, Duke in the 2nd half, UGa, Miami in the 2nd half. What I saw today did not convince me at all that we would improve on those types of offensive results. Passing game was atrocious and I thought our ground game was not impressive beyond outside of the B Backs. CPJ was highly critical of the offense and I agree with him.

I like this D much better than Roof’s but am not blown away by our athleticism on that side yet.

Kicking remains a disaster and will cost us a couple of games....

Alcorn did not challenge us, but Georgia Tech did (our own mistakes).

Jmonty71

Banned
To me, the offense looked a little off. The D had a few misses, that a better team would of taken advantage of. I was VERY happy to see a defense that was in attack mode. Thebnew DC pitching a shut out, coming out of the gate is a great sign. I think we will be 3-0, heading into the Clemson game. Prepare for a night game at Bobby Dodd. Not Game Day worthy, but maybe worthy of prime time slot.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Offense was meh overall. Although like someone above said, we could’ve gashed them with KB and JM all day long.

I LOVED what we did on D today. Better tackling (still need better), flying to the ball, swarm tackling, and no backpedaling 20 yards on 3rd and 12 (cushions still there at the snap, but much better awareness of where the sticks are and when to break).

1-0
We lined up in Prevent on 3rd and 16, they completed the pass, and the next play started 4th and 23. That was a fun and interesting play.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Mediocre? No...it was poor. 50% against an FCS opponent? Poor. Passes into tight coverage, passes way overthrown, etc. It wasn't like their DBs were just lights out. TM was making bad throws. He has to reach back rainbow anything over 30 yards. It's disappointing. You want to see a quick release with a flat trajectory. You don't want to see a WR and a DB standing still waiting for the ball to come.
Complete and total agreement. I was trying to be polite. If I see one more jump ball , no separation, throw it up and pray , I am going to start watching the Badgers more.o_O