Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
You never apologize for a win of course. Much less a shutout!

- We need more out of our QB, especially passing. For all I know this might be the best or worst game he plays all year.

- Elephant in the S/T room? Hell, he has taken up residence there for over a year and is now procreating somehow. One of the most frustrating thing about last 11 years.

- The Gold numbers just don’t cut it for a lot of folks WHEN placed against a White background. Don’t think it is a bad thing, but just too hard for too many to see. I don’t like the font, but that IWII.

- Names on back of jersey don’t look right. Would look better with no name to me. Looks like somebody went to Hobby Lobby and bought precut letters and slapped them on. Shrug.

- Field looked good, especially end zones. Then you get to mid field GT logo and it has a blue surround. Looks blah and like crud.

Crazy that some of these decisions are consciously being made.

USF game is huge. Extremely huge.

Last edited:

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The pessimism from most of the people on the board would make me think we almost lost today. Yes, there’s a lot of room for improvement, but you know what matters right now? We are 1-0. Let’s get ready for USF.
I think a lot of it comes from the hype from the players leading up to today’s game .

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
The pessimism from most of the people on the board would make me think we almost lost today. Yes, there’s a lot of room for improvement, but you know what matters right now? We are 1-0. Let’s get ready for USF.
There was a lot of optimism after losing to Tennessee last season too though...

EFN247

Georgia Tech Fan
Y'all need to calm down. Anybody remember Gardner-Webb?
Thoughts:
Mason seems to be so good. He and Benson as a combo will be fantastic. The A Backs were good too. O-line left something to be desired. The defense was pretty good to me, not fantastic but good.
Thoughts on TaQuon:
Y'all are too hard on him. He's an electric runner, and guess what: he made some nice pitches today! His passing was meh. Really I think he will improve as the season progresses. IT'S THE FIRST GAME PEOPLE! Expect some hiccups. We looked amazing in the first game last year and look what happened. There are things to fix, but I believe we will fix them.

Also: If Wesley Wells keeps kicking touchbacks, let him do KOs. King seems to have a lot more leg strength. Davis to me is all mental. He has a ice leg, but I think he's overthinking it.

I think you are pretty spot on, Davis apparently has a lot of talent seeing that he won the job 2 years in a row as a walk on, especially coming off a major knee surgery, think he gets in his own head during games, he must have more leg strength than king though thats why King didn't do a single KO, will be interested to see if Wells can keep it up, his first KO was good, but 2nd one was going OB if the returner didnt catch it.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I made some notes during the game. I'll try not to be a Debbie downer after a 40pt win but here goes:

1st Half
1. Unis looked really good on my tv. Love the text font, loved the gold numbers
2. Hello Mason - he looks like he's gonna be a baller
3. We may have the worst kicking situation out of all the P5 teams, possibly even all of D1
4. TM looks bad passing
5. Loved CPJ's Adidas hat
6. Offense doesn't look smooth at all
7. Cottrell looks like a friggin race horse, let's find a way to get the dude some touches please
8. TM looks really bad passing
9. Wes is having trouble with the gold numbers, he couldn't identify the receivers to save his life. I'm wondering if it's gonna be an issue with announcers this season. How was it for you guys in the stadium?
10. TM looks extremely bad passing

2nd Half

1. KB looks like a mini-tank, his legs are like tree trunks. He looks like himself which is good.
2. Defense just looks more fun. I couldn't imagine playing Defense at Tech for the last few years where you had to read and react to everything rather than get to attack on occasion. How boring would that be?
3. PJ Simmons, the little RB from Alcorn, looks like a baller
4. The "4" on the jerseys looks ridiculous, not a huge fan of the number font (I like the text font though)
5. Bates in the booth with Wes was the most annoying dork today. He almost ruined the broadcast.
6. Crowd looks abysmal
7. We're gonna miss Lucas REALLY BAD
8. Great to preserve the shutout

Those are just the notes I jotted down during the game, I'm not gonna share my initial takeaway about our overall situation right now.

I definitely agree with 4, 8, and 10 in the first half. I think TM misread the secondary more than once and he should never throw it across the field (not enough zip). A good team would’ve made us pay for these shortcomings.

Also agree fully with number 6 in the second half. Crowd sucked. I’m wonder if the players were wishing that they had chosen a school where the seats weren’t so sparsely filled. A little embarrassing bit I hope the crowd looked better on camera.

There were some bright spots today (defensive scheme, rush game) but I’m pretty concerned about this season. I’m having trouble articulating why I feel this way after a 41-0 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deleted member 2897

We have 1 more win right now than we did after week 1 last year. We have a chance to be great. We always work on mistake corrections after games. Clean it up and take care of business against USF. We can be great.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
I definitely agree with 4, 8, and 10 in the first half. I think TM misread the secondary more than once and he should never throw it across the field (not enough zip). A good team would’ve made us pay for these shortcomings.

Also agree fully with number 6 in the second half. Crowd sucked. I’m wonder if the players were wishing that they had chosen a school where the seats weren’t so sparsely filled. A little embarrassing bit I hope the crowd looked better on camera.

There were some bright spots today (defensive scheme, rush game) but I’m pretty concerned about this season. I’m having trouble articulating why I feel this way after a 41-0 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was fine. You need to remember we were coming off a TERRIBLE year

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

My only concern after the game today was how abysmal TM’s passing was, we are going to have a tough season if he can’t do any better than that.

I am a little bit worried about lack of pass pressure from our Def but i’m assuming that Woody called a really vanilla game blitz-wize.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
See the same game? Our B backs, for the most part, never got it going.

I havent looked at the stats but it seems like the bbacks had easy pickings when called upon. I think cpj wanted to work on passing and getting the abacks involved. We could have just dived them to death all day if we wanted.