Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Tariq Carpenter: played awesome, at one point made 4 strait plays on defense, he looks like he's going to be real good player
Christian Campbell: nice sack running down the QB
Curry looked real good.
CB's did really get tested, but played nice on screen passes.
Did notice many as many blitzes as I thought I would see.
Marshall looked good, seem to be more composed, timing on the draws, pitches looked good.
Good game overall, I think Tech did good but you could tell they can play better.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
We did what we were supposed to do today. No more - but no less either. The OL controlled their blocks and we could have gone dive / option all day long. They need to work on assignments when defenders stunt and jump gaps but that is to be expected in the first game.

Marshall isn't going to win games with his arm. Anyone not know that? We worked on our passing game today because we could. And it needed the work to put it mildly. He has about a 25-30 yard range if you want a flat trajectory. Anything longer will be lofted. When he sets his feet I actually saw some decent plays in an expanded mid range passing game. When he threw late on a deep ball I wanted to call the duck hunters.

He is going to win or lose games with his reads and feet in the base option plays. I saw some good reads that led to pitches for long gainers and quick feet that make him dangerous. That is a lot more important than whether he has a canon for an arm - hint - he doesn't.

The defense pitched a shutout playing a very vanilla scheme. Some blitzes off the edge but not a lot more. Yea it was Alcorn but that is all you can ask for out of the block.

I understand CPJ being pissed. Ain't doing his job if he isn't. And there is plenty on film to clean up. Both sides of the ball. But for the first game it was what we were supposed to do. Nothing more - but nothing less. South Florida will tell us a lot more than today did.

Milwaukee

Banned
In regards to the gold numbers, why was this never an issue when Joe Ham and Keith Brooking were playing? Why is it now difficult to see or was it back then as well?

Last edited:
yes there was in the West
Assuming I get a survey about the game, like I did last year, I am going to point that out, as well as the inability to get from the upper east to the outside concession area without going down 3 flights of stairs, which some of us old farts can't or shouldn't do anymore.....LOL If I don't get a survey, then I'm calling Tuesday morning. No excuse for not having ready what they promised to have.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Were there any water bottle filling sites in your area of the stands? There were none in the upper east, unless you count one new (I think it's new) water fountain installed at one end (one end only), where the line was like 50 deep. One of the guards told me they didn't get them installed. WOW !!!

Yes there were and they were nice. Flowed a lot more water than a typically water fountain. Plus it was filtered water. Could have used a few more of them, but they were a very nice addition.

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
In regards to the gold numbers, why was this never an issue when Joe Ham and Keith Brroking were playing? Why is it now difficult to see or was it back then as well?

Theres a sheen on the numbers that I haven't seen before. The high afternoon sun plus the reflective nature of the numbers I think made it hard to read. That, and the font for the numbers is lightly sarifed, which adds to the difficulty.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Marshall isn't going to win games with his arm. Anyone not know that? We worked on our passing game today because we could. And it needed the work to put it mildly. He has about a 25-30 yard range if you want a flat trajectory. Anything longer will be lofted. When he sets his feet I actually saw some decent plays in an expanded mid range passing game. When he threw late on a deep ball I wanted to call the duck hunters.

He is going to win or lose games with his reads and feet in the base option plays. I saw some good reads that led to pitches for long gainers and quick feet that make him dangerous. That is a lot more important than whether he has a canon for an arm - hint - he doesn't.

At some point against good defenses, he is going to HAve to hit some big passes to win games- to open up the running game, to come back and win down late in the 4th etc.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Yeah there wasn't anything on the East side, which made for a long line at the water fountain. Glad they're in the West, but we need some on the East side. Today was roasting. Imagine if it wasn't cloudy. Sheesh.

I sat in 223 in the upper East today and there was a station there

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
When I went in the bookstore today....there was more Under Armor gear than Adidas. I don't know whether we've bought them out, or whether the bookstore isn't stocking it.

I'm betting our road unis will be easier to see, but people will be mad about no gold.