Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the "have him for 4 complete games, starting next fall" ?
He gets 4 games this year and still keeps a redshirt. Next year counts regardless unless I am missing something. ?
I understand wanting to see him play but it was the first game ( Not that it will happen and hope it doesn't) but what in one gets injured late in the season and has to play in 4 other games . Wouldn't it have been great if Nesbitt would have been redshirted his first year. ( did it really help to him play in 2007 ? honest question

Last edited:

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Plus, it sounds like the benefit Graham brings is for the running game. It’s not like TQM needed help running the ball.

We got time to clean up and tighten both sides of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Watch this years spring game

I can’t find the full video, only the highlights. I was at the game. The only good passing that I remember was from LJ. Did Tobias have any success throwing? Graham didn’t play, did he?

I saw Tobias’ high school stats and it looks like he may have thrown quite a bit, even more than Graham.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...126&ssid=c81b47ee-f434-456f-8f6e-fee79c115904

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/ge...45a&ssid=c81b47ee-f434-456f-8f6e-fee79c115904

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I understand wanting to see him play but it was the first game ( Not that it will happen and hope it doesn't) but what in one gets injured late in the season and has to play in 4 other games . Wouldn't it have been great if Nesbitt would have been redshirted his first year. ( did it really help to him play in 2007 ? honest question

The thing is he would only have to play if both TM and TO get hurt. If just one gets hurt he can dress but not play without burning a game. Furthermore if that situation happens and Graham would have to play more than 4 games the point is moot because the shirt would be burned anyways. Less than 4 and he can keep the shirt regardless That situation is only really relevant in such a narrow circumstance where there would be exactly 4 games needed, that it isn't worth sacrificing experience for.

Now if TM was a junior, or something I'd agree, but considering we should expect a QB battle for next year, an actual battle for a first time starter rather than a token one for a returning starter, the experience is more beneficial than the slight chance at saving the redshirt in a case that almost certainly won't happen.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Something else I noticed and might have been discussed already, we didn’t blitz or do many stunts. I’m assuming we didn’t need to against Alcorn, so no need to show what you got. I expect once we start doing more stunts and blitz we will see an increase of havoc plays.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I agree with most everyone else that our kicking game will most assuredly cause us to lose a game this year. Frustrating seeing that Bulovas Kid for Bama booming kicks in the EZ last night, CPJ had his guy and he bolted in the eleventh hour.
Anyone notice he apparently only has kickoff duty at Bama?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While I do agree our passing game yesterday was a clown show at times, don't get too discouraged. For one thing, in my best recollection, we didn't throw off of play action. Pretty much every attempt was a straight drop. Perhaps it was good for us to practice those game situations where everybody knows we are passing. However, we were not seeing the typical way we go about the passing game. There were not a ton of true option plays in the run game and no play action passes that looked like toss sweeps or option run plays at the snap. Therefore, I do not see yesterday as a predictor of doom. Sadly, yesterday was no indicator of growth in the passing game either. We have normally struggled airing it out without the deception of play action.

I liked the defensive effort and schematic plan. We hustled and took good angles. There were too many missed tackles for my taste but, in general, a solid day. From the upper north, our secondary looks like our biggest ever. It's kind of weird. We are generally small in the front 7 but large behind them. The speed and athleticism looked good, but I want to see it against better teams before drawing too many conclusions. Just like on offense, this was a pretty vanilla game plan for an odd front defense.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
More conclusions are drawn on this board (both negative and positive) than are warranted. I don't know about ya'll but if App State can take Penn State to overtime then they will certainly not win any more games this year, right?

There is still reason for cautious optimism for the new defense (I did want more sacks). As pointed out by others it appeared the offense could have run up the score just by running it down their throat.

In reality we made some errors (good to see the issues this week and not when the game is on the line) and that will give CPJ the ability to curb optimism and some specific things to work on. It will require more time to really know if we should be good this year and even then there are too many variables to be sure.

cincyjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Rewatching the game tonight. Biggest thing that’s caught my eye and started watching him on every down, Jahaziel has got to play better at center.

Admittedly I'm not blocking guru, but one play he completely let the nose tackle through to block in the secondary. The untouched NT proceeded to destroy Marshall. I have to assume this was a tragic error. I can't imagine the play is to let him through to blow up the backfield. Can anyone else offer any insight? It always seems strange to me when the O-line ignores the D-line in front of them to go block at the next level (the linebackers), because it almost always results in a tackle for loss.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
No one has mentioned Big Brandon Adams getting the start over KCH. Thought that was interesting, but I don’t recall Brandon’s name being called out for making a single play. Also, surprised I didn’t hear much from Branch, kind of disappointing.

I miss the days of the Sophomore version of Clinton Lynch, I know it’s just one game but he has basically disappeared from our offense and is about half the player he used to be.

It was easy to tell how frustrated TM was with himself in first half with his passing, hopefully this will be his worst game passing this season. I remember thinking after UT game last year we got someone special at QB, I still hope that’s true but yesterday didn’t make me think that we do. TM easily looks like worst passer we’ve had at QB....Defenses from here on out are going to sell out to stop the run, so can TM make them pay when they do ? That will be the difference between a 5-6 win season vs 8-9 win season.

I agree with most everyone else that our kicking game will most assuredly cause us to lose a game this year. Frustrating seeing that Bulovas Kid for Bama booming kicks in the EZ last night, CPJ had his guy and he bolted in the eleventh hour.

Lynch was actually getting the ball his Sophomore year. The problem isn't with Lynch.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Figure you weer one of the dozen or so folks standing on at the top row in the upper East. Tried to pick you out of the limited crowd, but wasn't sure which of the two groupings your were in. So most likely I did "see" you but could make pout that it was you. :)
He was the one with his hair on fire.