Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I wonder whether the Alcorn coaches watched our D last year and thought that was what they were going to face. Defended the zone read well and got a lot of negative plays on the outside because of slow developing plays. Our guys were close enough to react to make the play. We wouldve given up 300+ yards with the way we played defense last year.

I was thinking Miami vs. App St

Milwaukee

Banned
I made some notes during the game. I'll try not to be a Debbie downer after a 40pt win but here goes:

1st Half
1. Unis looked really good on my tv. Love the text font, loved the gold numbers
2. Hello Mason - he looks like he's gonna be a baller
3. We may have the worst kicking situation out of all the P5 teams, possibly even all of D1
4. TM looks bad passing
5. Loved CPJ's Adidas hat
6. Offense doesn't look smooth at all
7. Cottrell looks like a friggin race horse, let's find a way to get the dude some touches please
8. TM looks really bad passing
9. Wes is having trouble with the gold numbers, he couldn't identify the receivers to save his life. I'm wondering if it's gonna be an issue with announcers this season. How was it for you guys in the stadium?
10. TM looks extremely bad passing

2nd Half

1. KB looks like a mini-tank, his legs are like tree trunks. He looks like himself which is good.
2. Defense just looks more fun. I couldn't imagine playing Defense at Tech for the last few years where you had to read and react to everything rather than get to attack on occasion. How boring would that be?
3. PJ Simmons, the little RB from Alcorn, looks like a baller
4. The "4" on the jerseys looks ridiculous, not a huge fan of the number font (I like the text font though)
5. Bates in the booth with Wes was the most annoying dork today. He almost ruined the broadcast.
6. Crowd looks abysmal
7. We're gonna miss Lucas REALLY BAD
8. Great to preserve the shutout

Those are just the notes I jotted down during the game, I'm not gonna share my initial takeaway about our overall situation right now.

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Remember seeing Griffen absolutely blowing up a play and dropping the QB or RB. Know why he is playing as Fr now.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I made some notes during the game. I'll try not to be a Debbie downer after a 40pt win but here goes:

1st Half
1. Unis looked really good on my tv. Love the text font, loved the gold numbers
2. Hello Mason - he looks like he's gonna be a baller
3. We may have the worst kicking situation out of all the P5 teams, possibly even all of D1
4. TM looks bad passing
5. Loved CPJ's Adidas hat
6. Offense doesn't look smooth at all
7. Cottrell looks like a friggin race horse, let's find a way to get the dude some touches please
8. TM looks really bad passing
9. Wes is having trouble with the gold numbers, he couldn't identify the receivers to save his life. I'm wondering if it's gonna be an issue with announcers this season. How was it for you guys in the stadium?
10. TM looks extremely bad passing

2nd Half

1. KB looks like a mini-tank, his legs are like tree trunks. He looks like himself which is good.
2. Defense just looks more fun. I couldn't imagine playing Defense at Tech for the last few years where you had to read and react to everything rather than get to attack on occasion. How boring would that be?
3. PJ Simmons, the little RB from Alcorn, looks like a baller
4. The "4" on the jerseys looks ridiculous, not a huge fan of the number font (I like the text font though)
5. Bates in the booth with Wes was the most annoying dork today. He almost ruined the broadcast.
6. Crowd looks abysmal
7. We're gonna miss Lucas REALLY BAD
8. Great to preserve the shutout

Those are just the notes I jotted down during the game, I'm not gonna share my initial takeaway about our overall situation right now.
can't wait til we go the Texas Tech root from a few years back where they had a kicking contest at halftime and brought the winner on as the walk on kicker because the starter missed too many PATs

Deleted member 2897

Today was a great day for Ryan Fitzgerald.

TaQuon at one point was 4/12 passing. Against Alcorn State. So get ready, because we’re not going to run a lot of passes this year - it’s just not his strong suit. But it doesn’t have to be.

3 turnovers? Yuck. That’s just dumb. Glad we played Alcorn and not Tennessee - we would have lost again.

Next week is a BIG FREAKING GAME. OMG! If we win next week, Clemson probably rolls in with us 3-0. We should be an 8+ win team if we beat USF on the road. Last year we played HORRIBLE on the road. If we don’t play well at USF, we have no idea what we have.

Hopefully we won’t throw 20 times next week and we’ll stick to the base offense. We can win a lot of games with it.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Camp made a great catch on the sideline although ruled OB. Happy that a lot of people played and no one got hurt. D made a good first impression. Kicking game was ? but the kid from Dahlonega iirc kicked one into the EZ. Saw more pitches as others have noted but concerned a bit with the passing game overall. Got some things to work on before USF obviously. Hard to draw conclusions from a game like that.

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Some observations.

TQM seems to throw better when he sets his feet. A lot better in the 10-15 yard range then deep. A lot of over throws early but seemed to settle during the passing drive in the 3rd.
Bbacks - Mason looks great. Benson is a tank. Howard looks good, but needs to make his blocks probably why he's 3rd.
Abacks - Really didn't see much. TQM made a helluva a pitch while being hit in the 3rd. Blocking by the unit seemed better than last year.
Oline- Not going to judge till I go back and watch slower later in the week.
WR- No drops from Stewart so hopefully the mental block he had is gone, and that was a Calvin/Thomas like catch by Camp on the sideline.

Defense -

Loved that we seemed to have a swarm of bodies around the ball.
Rotated a lot of guys early played fresh and fast.
If Mitchell was a tad quicker he would be a monster.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Y'all need to calm down. Anybody remember Gardner-Webb?
Thoughts:
Mason seems to be so good. He and Benson as a combo will be fantastic. The A Backs were good too. O-line left something to be desired. The defense was pretty good to me, not fantastic but good.
Thoughts on TaQuon:
Y'all are too hard on him. He's an electric runner, and guess what: he made some nice pitches today! His passing was meh. Really I think he will improve as the season progresses. IT'S THE FIRST GAME PEOPLE! Expect some hiccups. We looked amazing in the first game last year and look what happened. There are things to fix, but I believe we will fix them.

Also: If Wesley Wells keeps kicking touchbacks, let him do KOs. King seems to have a lot more leg strength. Davis to me is all mental. He has a ice leg, but I think he's overthinking it.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Some off y’all act like y’all have never watched sports lol. How many times has a team stunk it up to turn around and have an awesome season? It’s part of sports and especially football. Let’s give judgement after the 3rd game. Also the 2nd half was a lot better. Let’s not forget this was an easy team so we were probably working on some specific things, if you notice the play calling was very vanilla. R-E-L-A-X