Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
What I thought I saw out there today looked like a 6-6 team.

Last year, our offense was beaten by some solid defenses....Clemson, Duke in the 2nd half, UGa, Miami in the 2nd half. What I saw today did not convince me at all that we would improve on those types of offensive results. Passing game was atrocious and I thought our ground game was not impressive beyond outside of the B Backs. CPJ was highly critical of the offense and I agree with him.

I like this D much better than Roof’s but am not blown away by our athleticism on that side yet.

Kicking remains a disaster and will cost us a couple of games....

Alcorn did not challenge us, but Georgia Tech did (our own mistakes).
Complete agreement. We ( us fans ) continue to overrate our talent level. We seem to think another year in the weight room and another year of experience is going to turn good football players into great ones. We will get the rare instance that it may occur , but not nearly often enough. We seem to think if we can list a two deep OL with 1-3 years experience that they will be " nasty ". We are in denial. We have slightly above average football talent , and we get slightly above average results. I love our SAs , I know playing for Tech is a grind. They are fine young men and will be successful in life if they stick with the program. But on the field, they are middle of the pack.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I hate the Gold numbers from where I sat you could not made out who was who ( but I'm old maybe others didn't have the problem )

@Milwaukee the names & numbers were hard to read from the Upper East....that shade of gold is light

+1 , +1

A bear to read from the upper North too. :(

They need to do what they had to do a a few years back, they HAVE to make the Navy trim/outline of the numbers wider.

I bemoaned the same thing in the stands today too.

Looking at the DVR of the game and if zoomed in enough the numbers arre readable. But from the stands, not so much.

You never apologize for a win of course. Much less a shutout!

- We need more out of our QB, especially passing. For all I know this might be the best or worst game he plays all year.

- Elephant in the S/T room? Hell, he has taken up residence there for over a year and is now procreating somehow. One of the most frustrating thing about last 11 years.

- The Gold numbers just don’t cut it for a lot of folks WHEN placed against a White background. Don’t think it is a bad thing, but just too hard for too many to see. I don’t like the font, but that IWII.

- Names on back of jersey don’t look right. Would look better with no name to me. Looks like somebody went to Hobby Lobby and bought precut letters and slapped them on. Shrug.

- Field looked good, especially end zones. Then you get to mid field GT logo and it has a blue surround. Looks blah and like crud.

Crazy that some of these decisions are consciously being made.

USF game is huge. Extremely huge.
Regarding the end zones, am I the only one who noticed that the "Georgia Tech" in each endzone was not parallel to the goal line? On one end the Tech was somewhat lower than the Georgia, and on the other one, the Georgia was lower than the Tech.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
WE can talk about a first game but there is no way a QB should pass like that vs lower level opponent as a SENIOR and on first down for surprise.(btw-nobody is mentioning the pick 6 that luckily they dropped)WE could not have beaten but 3 teams max playing like that on OFF.That's 3-9 for folks keeping score.
The DEf was good.Less blitz than expected but more hustle.Loved the shut-out.
ST were no better. (111 of 130 in 17)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
9. Wes is having trouble with the gold numbers, he couldn't identify the receivers to save his life. I'm wondering if it's gonna be an issue with announcers this season. How was it for you guys in the stadium?

They're pretty hard to read in the stands. The blue edging needs to be a bit thicker to contrast at a distance.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
The negativity here sounds like the 2014 season early on. It is never as good or as bad as it originally looks.

I honestly cannot give any kind of a real judgement until we get a few games behind us. Otherwise it is no better than guessing.

Just like trying to pick a pre-season top 25. Some end up good and some end up a complete joke.

My take on the game today
It was blisteringly hot and I had trouble staying in my seat more than 10 minutes at a time, without taking 5 minutes to cool off. My wife spent even less time in her seat. It was really hard to enjoy the game with the heat. They were treating a bunch of people for heat stroke today. I HATE noonish games early in the season. The food area was packed with people trying to cool off.

TM took a while to get his passing from terrible to sub-par. He should improve from this in the next game. By game 3 we will know where we stand with him as a passer. I think he will end up as serviceable passing QB.

- I am excited with Camp as WR to go along with Brad.
- Loaded at Bback.
- Great group of A backs
- To many mistakes, but again the biggest improvements are between game 1 and 2 and then a lot more after game 3. So not going to read a lot into it. I will be very concerned if things stay the same for game 2.
- I liked how the defense played. Looking forward to seeing how they end up against a better opponent next week.