Alcorn State Postgame Discussion

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Nice easy win. Clearly some areas where we can and will improve. Glad we got our starters out by the 3rd quarter.

upload_2018-9-1_15-29-12.png

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Rough game. Probably more worried about next week @USF than most of this board is right now. I think they will be more excited for us than any other game on their calendar outside The War on I-4, with us being a P5 team coming to their house and all that.

Need the defense to show up with a similar energy and need TaQuon to really land some open passes. Showing the same game face next week against USF is gonna take miracle-work from CPJ and Woody but let's see how they look.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Hard to extrapolate much from a game like this, other than I hope we got the turnovers out of our system. Passing game was totally out of sync and its on both the qb and recievers. Happy that the subs preserved the shutout.

Obvious CPJ wanted to try some things. We could have run base offense like the first series and won 70-0. And proved nothing. Not a single rocket toss for the 1st string. Very little Triple. For those of you what wanted passing, you got it. TM did end up completing 50%. Fumble by a first time starter at B-back. Expected. My other take is bad officiating. Camp and PO. And Oliver did score, if they had reviewed it. I am not concerned at all.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I hate games like this because the best case is they tell you nothing substantial about the game. Overall impression is that wasn't a great start to the season, considering a dominant win was pretty much a guarantee. Hopefully we shore up some of the holes for next week, and that it was just the case of being hyped up from the first game excitement.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Nice easy win. Clearly some areas where we can and will improve. Glad we got our starters out by the 3rd quarter.

View attachment 4064
Not sure what to make of this game. A little sloppy but we got a shut out and scored 41 points. Definitely need to temper expectations from playoffs to maybe just a winning record. We had over 500 yards total offense but it did not seem like it. Defense played with more enthusiasm. Very impressed with open field tackling by corners and safeties. Bubble screens will not work against this defense. Alcorn played hard and the time of possession was pretty even all things considered.

The Braves did well enough on defense but the offense could not sustain anything. I can see where their running back was the preseason player of the year in the SWAC but he was getting smacked behind the line most of the time it seemed like.

Georgia Tech really needs to work on cleaning up some things on offense especially the passing game which is borderline terrible again. As usual, the B backs ran hard and Marshall found some creases but playing like this will get us beat next week. It is often said that teams improve the most during the season from the first to the second game. I trust that will be the case for next Saturday.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, I thought the d looked improved, they had energy that stayed even when we got up big. Big kudos to them. I am excited about the direction they appear to be going.

On offense however, I am concerned. TaQuon to me, doesn’t look any improved from last year and multiple times I was left thinking on a play that we had for positive yards against Alcorn I had seen go for negative yards against a virgina tech, Clemson, Miami or even North Carolina. I think we won because we were physically superior. I didn’t think we executed cleanly on offense but we made up for it because of our athleticism. If we don’t improve and improve fast, we will have a game where we turn the ball over two times due to mesh fumbling or whatever and will lose a game we shouldn’t.

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
I was pleased. Played a bunch of guys...kept it vanilla...lots of dive plays & nothing exotic on D...worked a little on the passing game. Didn't appear to have any injuries. Pitched a shutout. Nice 1st game

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Offense:

As someone stated, looks like CPJ tried to get a live look at the passing game today and it was horrible. TQM has to complete his motion all the way thru the throw. He’s either not following thru or it’s off his back foot. I am glad CPJ gave him some “layups” to build his confidence up. Let’s HOPE it carries over next week. I think Camp will be the go guy this year at WR

Defense:
A good showing. Very vanilla today, we were flying around. Too many missed tackles for my liking. Thought we played great on the perimeter and open field. We have some athletes that will be making plays for us all year long. ILB was ok. Curry got out his gap a few times which to cut back runs. I thought today was a B B+ type of day for them

ST:
Other than Juanyeh’s return, dreadful.

Last edited:

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice to see a shutout--those are pretty rare. Really nice to see the D flying around and looking aggressive. I did feel like, on obvious passing downs, we weren't getting pressure without blitzes and even then, sometimes we just didn't create as much pressure as I expected.

Offense looked pretty good running...and horrible passing until the 3rd quarter. Hopefully we will clean it up. Or else...

Great job, Jackets! 1-0!

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
I wonder whether the Alcorn coaches watched our D last year and thought that was what they were going to face. Defended the zone read well and got a lot of negative plays on the outside because of slow developing plays. Our guys were close enough to react to make the play. We wouldve given up 300+ yards with the way we played defense last year.

Offense didn't look great, but it was serviceable. B-back looks stacked, and Quon looked more comfortable with the pitch. Not sure who's fault it was on the option routes? Looked like some miscommunication on a few.

Tobias was pretty slick and did good things to avoid being hit hard.

Harvin's punt was nice, and we did decent on KO coverage when they actually tried to run it.