Alcohol Sales

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I would support alcohol sales, especially as a revenue generator, BUT I would also like to see the creation of "family" sections where no alcohol is allowed and parents can bring their young children to watch the game without having to worry about being seated next to an obnoxious drunk like some of you*. That being said and just thinking out loud, a family section could also have some other amenities near by like they have at Suntrust to actively involve kids who might not be as entertained by the game itself in order to build the Georgia Tech brand with the next generation of fans.

*No, not you. The other guy.
Sat in the upper deck at Syracuse throughout my upbringing, at a stadium where beer was served. I see more blacked out or outright drunk folks in one game at BDS than I did in a season at Syracuse. And before the attendance jokes, this was when they sold out 50k. To me, "get hammered before entering the stadium because we can't get alcohol" and sneaking in liquor leads to more issues.

I've seen articles previously that speak to beer sales actually helping to curb police-reported incidents. West Virginia was one example when they started selling this decade. Here's the first article that popped up on a quick search:
Athletic Management: Does selling alcohol at games reduce student binge drinking?
One of the factors for the growth is that schools have reported a decrease in alcohol-related incidents because of the controlled atmosphere for alcohol use.
Ohio State began selling beer to general spectators at home football games during the 2016 season. An article on thelantern.com stated: In the Buckeyes’ seven home games last season, University Police — in collaboration with the Ohio Investigative Unit, Columbus Division of Police, Ohio State Highway Patrol and the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office — responded to 61 total incidents, compared to 175 in 2015 and 269 total incidents in 2014, based on records obtained by The Lantern.”
According to a 2017 article on Philly.com, the University of West Virginia “reported a 30 percent decrease in alcohol-related offenses since it started selling beer,” which begain in 2011. In 2015, an article on WTAE's (Pittsburgh) website said binge drinking at West Virginia University football games has been reduced significantly due to the selling of beer at games, with a two-beer maximum is placed on each purchase and sales not allowed in the fourth quarter, and buyers are always carded to show they are of legal drinking age.

Now, what I've seen everywhere suggests you need to introduce beer thoughtfully (duh):
“This decrease in drinking-related incidents at West Virginia is more a result of particular safety policies that West Virginia University put in place than the effect of selling beer at the stadium...It appears these policies are giving the school more control over how much alcohol fans are consuming, and in turn, curbing binge drinking.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I would support alcohol sales, especially as a revenue generator, BUT I would also like to see the creation of "family" sections where no alcohol is allowed and parents can bring their young children to watch the game without having to worry about being seated next to an obnoxious drunk like some of you*. That being said and just thinking out loud, a family section could also have some other amenities near by like they have at Suntrust to actively involve kids who might not be as entertained by the game itself in order to build the Georgia Tech brand with the next generation of fans.

*No, not you. The other guy.
You are talking a major rebuild regarding family oriented attractions. Any alcohol sales must be tightly regulated and obnoxious behaviour should not be tolerated.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
You could punch a persons ticket each time they have a beer. Once all 4 corners are punched. You’re done.

But if the law stays on the books then maybe you pay entry into the SW section and then get 4 “free” beers.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I must have read it on the internet..... everything on the internet is true. o_O
It's possible for you to both be right.

I recall watching a documentary on prohibition that said something similar about the need to cut the alcohol.

But false memory can also play a part in these conversations. :confused:

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sat in the upper deck at Syracuse throughout my upbringing, at a stadium where beer was served. I see more blacked out or outright drunk folks in one game at BDS than I did in a season at Syracuse. And before the attendance jokes, this was when they sold out 50k. To me, "get hammered before entering the stadium because we can't get alcohol" and sneaking in liquor leads to more issues.
Maybe it is more a function of where you sit. I'm in the upper North and don't see many drunks around me. Or many people at all for that matter. haha. anyway, I see your point.

Maybe it is more a function of where you sit. I'm in the upper North and don't see many drunks around me. Or many people at all for that matter. haha. anyway, I see your point.
I sit in the upper east, and the only drunks I ever see up there are fans of the opposing teams, especially mutt fans every other year. In 2017, one totally passed out and had to be carried out.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I sit in the upper east, and the only drunks I ever see up there are fans of the opposing teams, especially mutt fans every other year. In 2017, one totally passed out and had to be carried out.
Get your binoculars and look over behind the defensive huddle- to our right is a very nice guy who is Whisky and only some coke in second half. Behind us is a not so nice drinker who curses at the visiting band - get out of her gou Clemson farmers! Go drive your tractors home!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I'd say at least go with local beer made by GT grads! I'm biased, of course, but why not have Monday Night and Reformation? There may be more, but those two I know for sure are largely owned by GT fans/alums. :)

#SETBEERFREE
Love reformation! Would love to see a reformation take over at Bobby dodd

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
You could punch a persons ticket each time they have a beer. Once all 4 corners are punched. You’re done.

But if the law stays on the books then maybe you pay entry into the SW section and then get 4 “free” beers.
An extra $10 or $15 tix isnt going to stop over consumption. The positives still out weigh the negatives, IMHO.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk