Alcohol Sales

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure state legislature in NC has passed a law to allow beer and wine sales at campus sports events. UNC will sell it and think I read that NCSU and ECU will also. Wake has for some time. Will be interested to see how it is handled at games.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Pretty sure state legislature in NC has passed a law to allow beer and wine sales at campus sports events. UNC will sell it and think I read that NCSU and ECU will also. Wake has for some time. Will be interested to see how it is handled at games.

We need to beat uga to the punch on offering it in all areas. Not just club sections.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
hot dog and soda
vs
2 house IPAs and sweet potato fry nachos at Cypress St Pint and Plate

Pretty easy decision haha...now if only we could get the revenue from the IPAs and appetizer at CSP&P to go towards GTAA.

LOVE Cypress Street. Use to stop off there before games when I lived in Midtown and could walk to games. In O4W now so it's not as convenient.

BTW...your choice is the correct one all day.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I go to upwards of 15 Tech basketball games per year and would probably buy a beer or 2 per game.

My concession spend over ~15 games last season?

$0.

Extract that to what, maybe 2500 + fans / game buying a $7 beer or two =~ 500K in revenue they are missing out on? SMH.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I'd say that would be more like 10-15k fans buying a beer or two.
10,000 fans at $10 spend/game would take 5 games to hit $500,000 in gross revenue. Over an 18 game season, you only need 2800 fans to spend $10/game to make $500,000 revenue.

We're honestly leaving so much money on the table not selling beer at football games. GTAA complains about having a depleted rainy day fund after the CGC hire, well here's your freakin' way to un-deplete it!!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
My big question is who is opposing alcohol at games? GTAA? The Board of Regents? Why does Georgia State have beer at games and we don't? Isn't their new stadium technically "on campus"?

My understanding is it is school policy, so it has to be changed through the channels that any other school policy would. Has anyone ever pushed for a change? Does anyone know where the new President stands on it?

Last edited:

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
My understanding is it is school policy, so it has to be changed through the channels that any other school policy would. Has anyone ever pushed for a change? Does anyone know where the new President stands on it?

Don't know the answer to your questions - I'm pretty sure the policy is specifically no selling alcohol on campus, and there is no exception for stadiums. The change needed seems to be adding those exceptions.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't know the answer to your questions - I'm pretty sure the policy is specifically no selling alcohol on campus, and there is no exception for stadiums. The change needed seems to be adding those exceptions.
Does the club section get around it now by technically not "selling it"?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Atlanta United got an exception. We just need to make that permanent. There's so much revenue on the line, this should be a piece of cake FFS.

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Additionally, Barrel House,the GT Hotel, and Rays? sell alcohol and those are on campus. Not sure if Tech Square has different rules.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
My big question is who is opposing alcohol at games? GTAA? The Board of Regents? Why does Georgia State have beer at games and we don't? Isn't their new stadium technically "on campus"?
Peterson was against any alcohol sales on campus and I was told it could happen next year after he is long gone.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Peterson was against any alcohol sales on campus and I was told it could happen next year after he is long gone.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
George Mason University does not have alcohol sales for their basketball games, so I don't anticipate President Cabrera adding alcohol sales at Georgia Tech anytime soon, despite it being an easy win to get alumni on his side.