AJC- "Johnson sending wrong message."

I agree completely. We are behind in some areas. I just feel like he's setting up this excuse for the future. Also, if I'm a player, how does this make me feel? If we lose, can we use the same excuse? I'm not feeling these comments, at least not mid-season..
IF he is setting up this excuse for the future, it's not just HIS future at Tech; it's TECH's future no matter who the coach is. If he were fired (and he won't be), don't you think any prospective hire would look at the facilities and funding and say the exact same thing?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
When CPJ came to GT, he expressed the need for an indoor facility. He got it via DRad (thanks to generous gift from Brocks). Not much has been invested in the program since then.

Well MBob created an all-encompassing strategic plan that describes in detail how GT Athletics are going to thrive, or at least a PowerPoint presentation in which MBob's introduction has more words in it than the strategic plan. I feel as though the AA in the years after DRad have been filled with bureaucracy trying to decide what to do instead of actually doing anything. We did however get a presentation filled with concrete plans such as "Provide student-athletes with opportunities to engage with and integrate into the community.".

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
The biggest problem CPJ has is how he comes across in the press and to the public whether the press distorts it or not. His demeanor is not a positive one and for the alumni of GT and for those that have the money to support the football team it is a problem. His actions on and off the field have become stale.

The biggest problem CPJ has is how he comes across in the press and to the public whether the press distorts it or not. His demeanor is not a positive one and for the alumni of GT and for those that have the money to support the football team it is a problem. His actions on and off the field have become stale.
Personally, I have no problem with his demeanor at all.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I've heard every time he's said it as well. Never have aI felt like he was venting rather just "telling it like it is." The times he sounds fed up I have always thought it was him being fed up at the reporters for not understanding and continuing to ask about it.

People hear what they want to hear I guess.

Unfortunately, that's the problem with what CPJ said. I think GT fans know where CPJ is coming from and he's absolutely right, but rival coaches on the recruiting trail will spin it in their favor.

I think that's what most on here are missing. We're fans...we get his frustrations, and we get that CPJ needs a little bit more commitment ($$$) for staff/recruiting/facilities. We're looking at it through the lens of fans.

That's the problem. How are the people who are NOT GT fans viewing it? Well, they will spin it however they want to fit their needs. The fact that this is even being discussed among us and the media when it didn't need to be is the point some on here are trying to make. CPJ didn't need to make his job harder than it already is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
The AJC will never put Georgia Tech Athletics in a positive light if they can help it.

I've read the AJC since 1979. Furman Bisher is the only columnist who ever gave Tech a fair shake. The others, including the current crop, are just awful. I compare the AJC writers to those for AL.com, The Knoxville News-Sentinal and others and never have a seen a hometown newspaper so negative towards its own interests.

That's why I'm on this board now. Far more nuanced and balanced than the stuff you get from the AJC.

And the rest of the state? Forget it. They can't even spell Tech. It has four letters. UGA is easier. It's only three.

Last edited:

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've read the AJC since 1979. Furman Bisher is the only columnist who ever gave Tech a fair shake. The others, including the current crop, are just awful. I compare the AJC writers to those for AL.com, The Knoxville News-Sentinal and others and never have a seen a hometown newspaper so negative towards its own interests.

That's why I'm on this board now. Far more nuanced and balanced than the stuff you get from the AJC.

And the rest of the state? Forget it. They can't even spell Tech. It has four letters. UGA is easier. It's only three.
The State out of Columbia,South Carolina favors Clemson over it's hometown team South Carolina in a manner similar to the way the AJC favors UGAG.

If you really want to know what Johnson said, and not just what others have said that he said, go to the following link and either read the excerpts or listen to the actual interview in the podcast, beginning at the 23:50 mark ---
https://n.rivals.com/news/rivals-com-q-a-georgia-tech-coach-paul-johnson

There is nothing wrong or controversial or inappropriate in the least about what he said.

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't know enough about MBob's strategic plan, but I've seen plenty of them in my time. 98% of them are worthless.

A good strategic plan (business, academics, whatever) clearly states the expected outcome (what you will be measured against), the current state, the trend, and the activities and timing to close the gap. All with names, investments, and expected outcomes next to each.

Simply put, we need a Quality Control dude for GTAA. Where are we now? Where do we want to be in 5, 10 years? What is our investment level and what does it need to be?

Good planning takes all of this into account. Ironically, I'm not a grad of UT, Bama or Auburn but know far MORE about those programs than GTAA. GTAA sometimes comes across as the North Korea of sports. The Hermit Kingdom.

We can do better. We have done better. And we have the alumni to do it. And who have done it.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I’ll chime in with my worthless opinion since everyone else is chiming in with theirs. All CPJ said is that you can’t “expect” to win 9+ games a year if you don’t have the commitment from the University and the fans. I don’t think CPJ’s goal every year is to simply meet expectations. I’m sure he wants to exceed expectations but the Institute and fans can’t expect the team every year to win the 10 games a year if fans aren’t committed to showing up to the games and AD isn’t committed to providing the necessary staff. Clemson’s expectations are to win 10+ games and the ACC every year. They have the best staff in the ACC and fans showing up to every game. When you have that kind of commitment, then you can expect to win 10+ games a year.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Ding Ding

Unfortunately, that's the problem with what CPJ said. I think GT fans know where CPJ is coming from and he's absolutely right, but rival coaches on the recruiting trail will spin it in their favor.

I think that's what most on here are missing. We're fans...we get his frustrations, and we get that CPJ needs a little bit more commitment ($$$) for staff/recruiting/facilities. We're looking at it through the lens of fans.

That's the problem. How are the people who are NOT GT fans viewing it? Well, they will spin it however they want to fit their needs. The fact that this is even being discussed among us and the media when it didn't need to be is the point some on here are trying to make. CPJ didn't need to make his job harder than it already is.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I stopped receiving the AJC about 10 years ago. That's what, 26 years?

A truly terrible newspaper. The only thing worse would have been to have Cynthia Tucker cover Tech.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

Not sure if I agree especially with the last sentence. What other programs do not know this within the conference already? Prior to this, the constant argument was why we cant be Stanford or Notre Dame. So the conversation is already out there. At this point, I don't think the job can get any harder, hence CPJ reaching his breaking point. Let me ask this: What if we get a new coach with the status quo of the GTAA and Institute, do we not believe this will be topic of discussion again?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's always a topic of discussion. For 100 years, it has been a topic.

We have control over BREAKDOWNS we commit … we have NO CONTROL over what the other team tries to do … their size … their speed … their attitude … the officials ... the weather ... their facilities.

When we play flawless ball, ok. Let's talk about it. But a venilated locker room with iPad ports is not going to do anything to prevent fumbles.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure if I agree especially with the last sentence. What other programs do not know this within the conference already? Prior to this, the constant argument was why we cant be Stanford or Notre Dame. So the conversation is already out there. At this point, I don't think the job can get any harder, hence CPJ reaching his breaking point. Let me ask this: What if we get a new coach with the status quo of the GTAA and Institute, do we not believe this will be topic of discussion again?

The difference being, now the Head Man has voiced it in public himself. Before, we could defend it by saying "It's in the works", or "Team X is negatively recruiting you, GT has what we need to compete...see our ACC Championship?"

So now, say you're Joe Speed/Bryan Cooke/Ted Roof and you're sitting in some kids living room. Not only are you defending GT's rigorous academics/offense/etc, you're also having to defend GT against the head man's own words other schools can pull up on the internet. Like I said, no need to make it harder on ourselves.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it's a big deal and vastly overstated. Tech is not a Football Factory. Never was. This is why good recruiters do the Take Away.

"Son, we'd love to have you at Georgia Tech. Our graduates have been CEO's, Admirals, Generals, to the Moon, and even President of the United States.'

"We aren't for every body. But for those invited to be part of our program, we will test you, challenge you, develop you, and if you make it, you'll have a lifetime of memories and one of the best alumni networks in the country committed to make you succeed."

Or, you can go to UGA, get laid and ultimately work at ****'s Sporting Goods.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I completely agree with the article. He has drawn a line in the sand with his continued comments on the subject. It will be really interesting to see how this shakes out with Stansbury. I almost feel like he's building excuses for performance with hopes to save his job on the one excuse. In my opinion, he should be able to recruit regardless.
I think PJ loves his job, but he could care less about saving his job, if that makes sense. I don't think he is wired that way at all. He has probably come to love GT and wants to see her stay competitive.