AJC- "Johnson sending wrong message."

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Remember Bobinski was a basketball guy, the good thing about Stansbury is he's not only a GT Alum but he's a football guy !
Stansbury been here, I think he will relate to what CPJ is talking about ... and hopefully provide help.

He and todd did not talk about this topic at all. This was totally new to todd.

And todd used the words himself as paul being a little frustrated and in the moment.

Which is called composure.

Whether u guys like it or not. I heard the presser. Paul sounded agitated/chippy, said how can that be the expectation when not on even playing field, and while true, its a bad sound bite and again doesnt need a public conversation about it to the media.

Just the facts folks. Its not a media spin. He said those words and did it in a frustrated fashion.

Now. We fans being close to the program get paul. We know what he means cuz he has talked about this in a different way in the past.

The problem is 95 percent of the people running with this havent. And that little conversation in the presser does in fact sound bad. And the media doesnt care. They want reactions. So as a coach, or presidential candidate, you have to be careful with how u say things even if right

Gotta step back. If richt said this about miami everyone would say the same things. It is a bit of omg statement.
How do you know they didn't talk about it? Were you there when they met? Are you psychic? Why would they not have talked about things like this, when it is a major reason we "suffer" in comparison to other schools and one of the major reasons for MBob's failure as AD. Johnson would be stupid not to bring up this topic in a meeting with TStan and then spring it on him in a public forum, and Johnson sure ain't stupid.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
One of a head coach's jobs is to be able to play/manipulate the media for his own purposes. Not just use it as a venting tool. It is very legitimate for CPJ to lay out a message that he needs some things but it has to be done in the context that he is going to compete with anyone. And it wasn't like we got blown out by Clemson so he wasn't having to defend a disaster. Should be easy for a HC in that situation to construct an argument that says we want to compete with anyone, we did compete today, we are close but need a few things. Hope we can build on this and get more GT fans in the seats. Really want them here. Really looking forward to a new AD and working with him on some of the improvements we need here. It's great but we are going to make it greater.

I know Cutcliff gets mixed emotions here but if you look at his tenure at Duke his biggest success has beeen working the system at Duke to get both investments financially in the program and academic loosening for recruiting. Not to high end levels by any stretch but he was able to bring that system together in a way they had never done before. But he is very good at manipulating the media in the RTP area and very rarely if ever comes across like this article.

It is part of playing the game for the HC anywhere.
Tennessee should have named David Cutcliffe as head coach of Tennessee in December 2007 instead of Lame Kiffin. Tremendous mistake by the then Tennessee AD Mike Hamilton.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's an excellent post and one I'd like to build on.

First, I would not even worry about the Hill. Let them set the standards, but the GTAA should have responsibility to organize tutors, study hours, etc to get the kids to graduate. The goal is the same, but it may work better with separate goals.

Second, re recruiting, I think we could help ourselves with local clubs charged to help expand the net. Other schools do this really well and it requires minimal, and in some cases, no extra staff.

Third, re the Alumni ... totally agree.

This is where a good understanding of the strategic plan helps. Then you can organize resources and consider options. Totally doable ... if the GTAA wants to do it.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
That's an excellent post and one I'd like to build on.

First, I would not even worry about the Hill. Let them set the standards, but the GTAA should have responsibility to organize tutors, study hours, etc to get the kids to graduate. The goal is the same, but it may work better with separate goals.

Second, re recruiting, I think we could help ourselves with local clubs charged to help expand the net. Other schools do this really well and it requires minimal, and in some cases, no extra staff.

Third, re the Alumni ... totally agree.

This is where a good understanding of the strategic plan helps. Then you can organize resources and consider options. Totally doable ... if the GTAA wants to do it.
You hit the nail on the head!