AJC- "Johnson sending wrong message."

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think PJ loves his job, but he could care less about saving his job, if that makes sense. I don't think he is wired that way at all. He has probably come to love GT and wants to see her stay competitive.

Actually, I like CPJ. And I hope he stays at Tech another 5 or 10 years.

But .. I have seen his so many times in my management career. I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard HR say, "We really like this guy. So we need to surround him with good managers underneath so we can take time to shape him ..."

CPJ probably has access to more world class executives than any comparable coach. I wonder how many times he has asked anyone "How do you think I can improve?".

In 35 years, I had a grand total of one GT coach, Bobby Cremins, ask that question. The rest, I assume, don't care what anyone thinks. The problem is, we WANT them to succeed. And would probably help a lot if asked. We've all been there .... I know I learned how to lead by asking others.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
I am not sure that Todd Stansbury will be a great AD, or for that matter a bad one either. But maybe he should have paid attention to the shot that Coach Johnson fired across his bow. I can see how Coach feels that he is not getting the support that he needs. He needs money for extra staff, facilities upgrades, backing from the Academic side (does the name Junior Gnonkonde ring a bell?). What does he have? He has a lollipips and rainbows, ivory tower unicorn farts strategic plan by an AD who jumped ship at the first opportunity and was sitting behind his new desk in his new office less than 72 hours after accepting the job. His new AD is not even showing up for work for another one and a half to two months after accepting what he says is his dream job. That just doesn't scream commitment to me. Our coaches and athletes deserve an Athletic Administration that has a battle plan to get butts in the seats, money in the coffers, better deals with our partners whether they be apparel manufacturers or media. I understood that Delta flew our team to Ireland? Is that correct? Why do we do business with anyone who makes a big deal in commercials about being the "Official _ of the Georgia Bulldogs"? We need to dump 680 the Dawg and let WREK be our flagship station. If the local radio dimwits want to talk to our coaches, let them show up and broadcast our coaches' press conferences in their entirety like they do for UGA.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not sure if I agree especially with the last sentence. What other programs do not know this within the conference already? Prior to this, the constant argument was why we cant be Stanford or Notre Dame. So the conversation is already out there. At this point, I don't think the job can get any harder, hence CPJ reaching his breaking point. Let me ask this: What if we get a new coach with the status quo of the GTAA and Institute, do we not believe this will be topic of discussion again?
Bobby Dodd said in his book that if GT would have been in the Northeast they would have been a power like Penn State used to be because the High Schools were much better than they were in the South.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am not sure that Todd Stansbury will be a great AD, or for that matter a bad one either. But maybe he should have paid attention to the shot that Coach Johnson fired across his bow. I can see how Coach feels that he is not getting the support that he needs. He needs money for extra staff, facilities upgrades, backing from the Academic side (does the name Junior Gnonkonde ring a bell?). What does he have? He has a lollipips and rainbows, ivory tower unicorn farts strategic plan by an AD who jumped ship at the first opportunity and was sitting behind his new desk in his new office less than 72 hours after accepting the job. His new AD is not even showing up for work for another one and a half to two months after accepting what he says is his dream job. That just doesn't scream commitment to me. Our coaches and athletes deserve an Athletic Administration that has a battle plan to get butts in the seats, money in the coffers, better deals with our partners whether they be apparel manufacturers or media. I understood that Delta flew our team to Ireland? Is that correct? Why do we do business with anyone who makes a big deal in commercials about being the "Official _ of the Georgia Bulldogs"? We need to dump 680 the Dawg and let WREK be our flagship station. If the local radio dimwits want to talk to our coaches, let them show up and broadcast our coaches' press conferences in their entirety like they do for UGA.

I'm pretty sure Todd is too smart to see that as a shot across his bow.

I'm pretty sure Todd is too smart to see that as a shot across his bow.
I agree, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Johnson had already told him what he said in a private session while he was on campus. I feel pretty sure he didn't just stop by for a photo shoot at whichever game he attended. I am equally sure he already knows about all the "shortcomings" that exist at Tech, so I doubt what Johnson said came as any surprise. As far as the time he is taking in getting started here, I guess he felt it the responsible thing to do to wrap things up where he was, especially since he had only been there for a year. His delay in starting is not nearly so bad as MBob's leaving immediately. MBob apparently felt no need to wrap things up at all. As far as Delta flying us to Ireland, who else would we fly, especially with the shoddy arrangements earlier made for us by who knows who? I actually was not aware that Delta was the official airline of any team, but I'm pretty sure Tech has always used Delta for flights, no matter where. I DO agree that we need to dump the local affiliate currently our "flagship station." I don't know that WREK is the answer, but they're probably as good as anyone, all things considered.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Johnson had already told him what he said in a private session while he was on campus. I feel pretty sure he didn't just stop by for a photo shoot at whichever game he attended. I am equally sure he already knows about all the "shortcomings" that exist at Tech, so I doubt what Johnson said came as any surprise. As far as the time he is taking in getting started here, I guess he felt it the responsible thing to do to wrap things up where he was, especially since he had only been there for a year. His delay in starting is not nearly so bad as MBob's leaving immediately. MBob apparently felt no need to wrap things up at all. As far as Delta flying us to Ireland, who else would we fly, especially with the shoddy arrangements earlier made for us by who knows who? I actually was not aware that Delta was the official airline of any team, but I'm pretty sure Tech has always used Delta for flights, no matter where. I DO agree that we need to dump the local affiliate currently our "flagship station." I don't know that WREK is the answer, but they're probably as good as anyone, all things considered.
I wish GT could get their football games on 92.9 The Game

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I would love to see WREK become the official Tech station and treat it like a real station. Take control of our own programming and generate our own revenue and promotion.
I listen to the games on the Georgia Tech IMG Network on Tunein but WREK would be a great station to have the football games broadcast.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Yeah ... I think selling WGST was a mistake, but we can still use WREK. Honestly, who listens to that crap programming they have today? Make it a Tech sports channel and link up with espn.

Yeah ... I think selling WGST was a mistake, but we can still use WREK. Honestly, who listens to that crap programming they have today? Make it a Tech sports channel and link up with espn.
Selling WGST was probably a financial inevitability. And using WREK may be also. After all they would need to drastically increase their signal strength, and somebody's got to pay for that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

He and todd did not talk about this topic at all. This was totally new to todd.

And todd used the words himself as paul being a little frustrated and in the moment.

Which is called composure.

Whether u guys like it or not. I heard the presser. Paul sounded agitated/chippy, said how can that be the expectation when not on even playing field, and while true, its a bad sound bite and again doesnt need a public conversation about it to the media.

Just the facts folks. Its not a media spin. He said those words and did it in a frustrated fashion.

Now. We fans being close to the program get paul. We know what he means cuz he has talked about this in a different way in the past.

The problem is 95 percent of the people running with this havent. And that little conversation in the presser does in fact sound bad. And the media doesnt care. They want reactions. So as a coach, or presidential candidate, you have to be careful with how u say things even if right

Gotta step back. If richt said this about miami everyone would say the same things. It is a bit of omg statement.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
He and todd did not talk about this topic at all. This was totally new to todd.

And todd used the words himself as paul being a little frustrated and in the moment.

Which is called composure.

Whether u guys like it or not. I heard the presser. Paul sounded agitated/chippy, said how can that be the expectation when not on even playing field, and while true, its a bad sound bite and again doesnt need a public conversation about it to the media.

Just the facts folks. Its not a media spin. He said those words and did it in a frustrated fashion.

Now. We fans being close to the program get paul. We know what he means cuz he has talked about this in a different way in the past.

The problem is 95 percent of the people running with this havent. And that little conversation in the presser does in fact sound bad.

Gotta step back. If richt said this about miami everyone would say the same things. It is a bit of omg statement.

Yeah, you didn't get it, imo. No one denied he said words to the effect he said. No one said quoting him was spin. They said quoting him out of context to give the impression that he doesn't think we can win or that the players play without an expectation of winning is spin.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is where a good communications department makes its salary. They should be publishing a talking points brief (1-2 pages) that summarizes major themes, key points to stress, tone and areas to avoid. Maybe a Q&A.

This keeps everyone on the same page and the tone, verbiage and messaging consistent across the staff, department, and GTAA.

If CPJ wants to get aligned, this takes a couple of days, he commits to memory, and you're done.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
This is where a good communications department makes its salary. They should be publishing a talking points brief (1-2 pages) that summarizes major themes, key points to stress, tone and areas to avoid. Maybe a Q&A.

This keeps everyone on the same page and the tone, verbiage and messaging consistent across the staff, department, and GTAA.

If CPJ wants to get aligned, this takes a couple of days, he commits to memory, and you're done.

Only if we had the money or resources to pay for good communications department

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Only if we had the money or resources to pay for good communications department

Who says you have to pay? I ran marketing communications for two Fortune 50 companies. A lot of Tech alumni are likewise. I'll bet most would do it for free if asked.

This goes back to "what do you need and what do you have to work with?". I had a recruiting problem and no HR department. So we organized the salaried employees into groups, assigned them to local schools, and got them to work with students and create a pipeline. Cost? Zero.

Money is not always the issue. Resources ... sure? But there is more than one way to skin a cat.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Who says you have to pay? I ran marketing communications for two Fortune 50 companies. A lot of Tech alumni are likewise. I'll bet most would do it for free if asked.

This goes back to "what do you need and what do you have to work with?". I had a recruiting problem and no HR department. So we organized the salaried employees into groups, assigned them to local schools, and got them to work with students and create a pipeline. Cost? Zero.

Money is not always the issue. Resources ... sure? But there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Our Coach runs his own ship.
I have offered specific and relevant help a specific area of critical need. No response.

Look at the way he communicate s errors on field and how he calls plays.
Everyone runs things differently and I am good with the good hearted dictator who doesn't look polished (team builder= jimbo fisher ) on sidelines or being interviewed.
Coach does not want a bunch culture building gurus.
He needs three things THAT DONT REMAKE COACH
1. A hill commitment to graduate EVERY SA ( Like corporate safety culture it starts w top through the top guy holding it as a special responsibilty & believes accidents are a result of many smaller mistakes) We should measure and track and celebrate (publish) results. Like in military no one is left behind. These are really special members of a very special institute.
They deserve the best.
BESIDES BEING THE RIGHT THING THIS WILL IMPROVE RECRUITING. I am sure we are doing good but excellence must be obtained.

TWO
WITH 1 we should recruit on a wider basis to sell gt to more kids. This first should be in major cities and their suburbs. Also add staff to do a better job starting with ATL and working out.

THREE
CREATE Places for alumi that love to help.
I have a really good one !!

NOT MY GOOD IDEA BUT HERE IS A SIMPLE ONE
Create in stadium ambassadors like ND. First duty of one of top ambassadors would be to coordinate the tickets given by alumni for the prefered local hs and assistant coaches. When they arrive we treat them as customers, showing them facility and letting them peak into some of the activites , and appropriately and briefly introducing them to folks they pass in hall.

There should be ways we can help.

We need buzz.