AJC- "Johnson sending wrong message."

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
AM I the only one who listened to it and didn't feel like he was Venting at all? Rather just reminding people to have the correct mindset and calibrations when looking at college football.

If this was a one time quote, then yes. However, he has said this same thing repeatedly just before the season and throughout. I'm at every radio show, and this isn't the first time it has been brought up.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
If this was a one time quote, then yes. However, he has said this same thing repeatedly just before the season and throughout. I'm at every radio show, and this isn't the first time it has been brought up.
I've heard every time he's said it as well. Never have aI felt like he was venting rather just "telling it like it is." The times he sounds fed up I have always thought it was him being fed up at the reporters for not understanding and continuing to ask about it.

People hear what they want to hear I guess.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I completely agree with the article. He has drawn a line in the sand with his continued comments on the subject. It will be really interesting to see how this shakes out with Stansbury. I almost feel like he's building excuses for performance with hopes to save his job on the one excuse. In my opinion, he should be able to recruit regardless.
Bingo! My solution? start winning games that matter, then we can talk about facilities upgrade! Has any of us ever asked our company for a raise without first proving we deserved one??Shut up johnson and start winning!

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I've heard every time he's said it as well. Never have aI felt like he was venting rather just "telling it like it is." The times he sounds fed up I have always thought it was him being fed up at the reporters for not understanding and continuing to ask about it.

Yep and see what they want to see.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Ya'll need to read the comments here
I found this comment particularly enlightening. Just think for a second about the difference in fan and administrative support for Clemson and us from 2008-2009 onward. Look at the level of investment it took in top tier coordinators (Morris and Venables were the two highest paid coordinators I believe). The big thing that happened at Clemson is that they had a hungry fanbase that was already filling that stadium and lived and breathed Clemson football. As soon as they actually started winning it became a machine. By not having the fan support (and money that comes from it!) we haven't been able to latch onto momentum of years like 2008-2009 and 2014. This is the type of commitment and expectation CPJ is talking about.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

One thing that seems pretty obvious is exactly that people hear only what they want to hear. The Atlanta media hears a comment that they can: clip out, mock, incite mutt fans, and incite tech fans. The CPJ detractors hear the same grumpy stubborn ignorant coach that they have been complaining about for several years. The CPJ supporters hear a coach who basically answers questions quite honestly the same as they have been saying for several years.

I don't think there is anything really new here. The ATL media will always be disparaging about GT. In 2014, the "flagship" station was asking what it will take for GT to compete with SEC schools even after beating one in overtime and manhandling another in the bowl game. The ATL media will never warm up to GT simply because they make more money from mutt fans than GT fans. The detractors were pushing to remove CPJ and his "HS offense" even in 2014. The supporters were supporting him last year.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
By not having the fan support

Just a small gripe of mine but when it comes to fan support GT fans who show up at the game and can't wear the RIGHT COLOR!

GT Fans at a White Out Game -
75% wear white
20% wear Navy or Gold???
5% wear an off color shirt (pastel usually) with a GT hat?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

GT Fans at a Regular Game -
Hodge Podge assortment - Taste The Rainbow

Fan Support.................................

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Ya'll need to read the comments here
I found this comment particularly enlightening. Just think for a second about the difference in fan and administrative support for Clemson and us from 2008-2009 onward. Look at the level of investment it took in top tier coordinators (Morris and Venables were the two highest paid coordinators I believe). The big thing that happened at Clemson is that they had a hungry fanbase that was already filling that stadium and lived and breathed Clemson football. As soon as they actually started winning it became a machine. By not having the fan support (and money that comes from it!) we haven't been able to latch onto momentum of years like 2008-2009 and 2014. This is the type of commitment and expectation CPJ is talking about.

Careful now, some might call you a PJ apologist ;)

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
This is pretty sad.

Not a complaint or dig at anyone here, but an honest question: how many of you actually heard the radio show where this was talked about? Not once did PJ say, "how can the expectation be to beat them?" Not once. That moron wrote what he wanted to write and whether deliberately or not attributed that quote to Johnson.

Maybe when I get a minute I'll actually post a transcript or something for those who didn't hear the radio show.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Bingo! My solution? start winning games that matter, then we can talk about facilities upgrade! Has any of us ever asked our company for a raise without first proving we deserved one??Shut up johnson and start winning!

Well how many of our companies have expected us to outperform our competitors with 25% of the resources? Doesn't sound like a company I'd be interested in working for.

Not to mention that's a terrible analogy considering he's not talking about getting a raise. He's talking about the need for greater investment in the program as a whole which any Tech with a brain should absolutely agree with him on. You can take issue with voicing the concern publicly I guess. I'd disagree but whatever. He's 100% right. And to be frank you interpreting it the way are reeks of bias. Stop viewing everything through the lens of how much you hate the coach.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow

I'm not sure he was talking about just facilities. Our facilities are pretty good actually given our land lock...Indoor practice facility, which we had before FSU, NC STATE, UNC, Clemson, uGA, VT, just to name a few. We could probably use another locker and weight room redo, but we have done that fairly consistently over the years. I think what Paul is talking about is budget for staff. We ARE woefully behind in that department, specifically, resources (money) for recruiting staff. IIRC, Clemson has 3 to 4 times the number of bodies we do dedicated to recruiting research and organization. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but it was significant. And Paul is exactly right. If anybody needs additional resources dedicated to targeting prospective student athletes, it's us, especially compared to the factories.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I completely agree with the article. He has drawn a line in the sand with his continued comments on the subject. It will be really interesting to see how this shakes out with Stansbury. I almost feel like he's building excuses for performance with hopes to save his job on the one excuse. In my opinion, he should be able to recruit regardless.

And I guess I should expect you to bench 400 lbs without weight training? Or build a rocket to Mars on a Volkswagen budget? Those are my goals for you and you should be able to do both regardless.

On a more serious note. He has been recruiting and it has gotten better IMO. The last two classes in particular. Now just imagine for a moment....how much better even that would have been....with a dozen on staff? (1/3 Clemson or Bama staffs)....and facilities that match the competition.

It's fine to want Bama level recruiting. But it's unrealistic to expect it with the current level of support. Do we have an indoor facility? Yes. Does that help? Yes. Does it compete with the one at Tennessee? No. Do we have player lounges like Clemson or Oregon? No.

I'm not saying we have to out do the factories. But if we want better recruits our staff and facilities have to at least compare. They just do not currently. The factories are in a different stratosphere.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
680 the dwag was all over this yesterday too. Every time they played the cherry-picked clips in the morning Dimino would feign outrage. It got quite old. Then they took callers to discuss the comments and about 1/2 of them ended up being dwag fans. Later, Chuck & Chernoff tried to play "gotcha" with Stansbury and played him the same abbreviated clips in the interview and were actively trying to get TS to condemn PJ. When he refused to throw PJ under the bus, C&C wrapped up the interview. These guys are all jokes. I take it for what they are. Entertainment. Albeit crappy, but still entertainment.

Hopefully TS is also taking notes and we can switch our "flagship" station once he gets settled in. I don't care who we switch to, I'd just prefer a station to be our sole flagship instead of sharing with the rest of Atlanta sports.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
I think what Paul is talking about is budget for staff. We ARE woefully behind in that department, specifically, resources (money) for recruiting staff. IIRC, Clemson has 3 to 4 times the number of bodies we do dedicated to recruiting research and organization. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but it was significant. And Paul is exactly right. If anybody needs additional resources dedicated to targeting prospective student athletes, it's us, especially compared to the factories.

You're touching on a very good point here. PJ made a point of saying, "this isn't your dad's ACC" and that several programs have upped their game and their commitment to winning. He pointed out that even Duke has 14 people on staff to help with recruiting and texting and emailing kids. Duke, for crying out loud. I think PJ said we had eight. So even the traditional doormat of the ACC has more staff than us.

Cutcliffe can be a a bit of a curmudgeon but I don't know that anyone would doubt his coaching abilities; he's done a tremendous job at a traditionally very crappy school. But it's not like he's got some magic wand and he waved it and it's all because of him. He asked for resources and got them.

Meanwhile we have professors who deliberately schedule classes during football practice because they don't want football players watering down their academics. Cardale Jones would have been pretty unhappy here. :ROFLMAO:

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Commitment is a pretty broad concept, so let's focus on one area -- the locker room. I've been in there a few times, just as probably some others on this board. Is it awful? No. Is it nice and modern? No. Is it in need of an update? Yes, probably just as everything that's 10+ years old in terms of sports facilities needs a facelift. It's where the players spend most of their time, and it's a space that every recruit sees. Seems like a worthy place to make an investment.

As CPJ said in other interviews, there were plans drawn up for a renovation a while back but nothing beyond that. To me, that's where administration strategy and commitment come into play. Not sure the price tag, but sure it's a few million if you want it done right. Where was the fundraising push after the Orange Bowl victory? That would have been an ideal time to raise money for this (or whatever was the highest priority).

When CPJ came to GT, he expressed the need for an indoor facility. He got it via DRad (thanks to generous gift from Brocks). Not much has been invested in the program since then.

So whatever your opinion of CPJ may be, this is an issue that extends beyond the head coach and doesn't go away with a new head coach. I can understand his frustration. He's basically saying that you can't compete with the Clemsons of the world just by saying you want to compete with them.

As far as my "expectation" of Stansbury? Assess the needs, formulate a plan to address them, share that plan and actually execute that plan. CPJ didn't say it in those words, but that's my interpretation. We need more than lip service to compete.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
And I guess I should expect you to bench 400 lbs without weight training? Or build a rocket to Mars on a Volkswagen budget? Those are my goals for you and you should be able to do both regardless.

On a more serious note. He has been recruiting and it has gotten better IMO. The last two classes in particular. Now just imagine for a moment....how much better even that would have been....with a dozen on staff? (1/3 Clemson or Bama staffs)....and facilities that match the competition.

It's fine to want Bama level recruiting. But it's unrealistic to expect it with the current level of support. Do we have an indoor facility? Yes. Does that help? Yes. Does it compete with the one at Tennessee? No. Do we have player lounges like Clemson or Oregon? No.

I'm not saying we have to out do the factories. But if we want better recruits our staff and facilities have to at least compare. They just do not currently. The factories are in a different stratosphere.

I agree completely. We are behind in some areas. I just feel like he's setting up this excuse for the future. Also, if I'm a player, how does this make me feel? If we lose, can we use the same excuse? I'm not feeling these comments, at least not mid-season..