AJC- "Johnson sending wrong message."

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not really, Hummer cherry picked part of PJ's statement and ran with it. As I said in another thread if you're going to cherry pick at least be gracious enough to use the entire message from PJ but that's the atlanta urinal and constipation for you.
Well, if he in fact suggested Tech should not be expected to beat Clemson given the facilities that was in fact a mistake. I think it is true, but to publicly utter it was a mistake, plain and simple. But until and unless GT adopts the Clemson model -- Swinney's every utterance is that he expects Clemson to play for the NC every year and that is how he plans the season. And somewhat like the despised coach K at Duke in basketball, then everything between the opening of practice until the NC game is only what it took to get there: the game is the prize. To get that prize Clemson has upped the ante in the ACC with facilities, more assistants, more support staff, just more. You know, kind of like the U.S. collapsed the Soviet Union when the arms race turned into a home run trot. But as a result Clemson seems well positioned to get back. But Hummer does the common mistake of overreaching when he suggests Johnson wants a nap room so he can beat Clemson. Goofy. Johnson wants facilities for one simple reason: facilities recruit. Equipment recruits. Because recruits are 18 and glitter dazzles them. I just overreached too, but the point is all about recruiting. I doubt Paul Johnson gives a flip about an afternoon nap or a makeup mirror or hair dryers or ....

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Well, if he in fact suggested Tech should not be expected to beat Clemson given the facilities that was in fact a mistake. I think it is true, but to publicly utter it was a mistake, plain and simple. But until and unless GT adopts the Clemson model -- Swinney's every utterance is that he expects Clemson to play for the NC every year and that is how he plans the season. And somewhat like the despised coach K at Duke in basketball, then everything between the opening of practice until the NC game is only what it took to get there: the game is the prize. To get that prize Clemson has upped the ante in the ACC with facilities, more assistants, more support staff, just more. You know, kind of like the U.S. collapsed the Soviet Union when the arms race turned into a home run trot. But as a result Clemson seems well positioned to get back. But Hummer does the common mistake of overreaching when he suggests Johnson wants a nap room so he can beat Clemson. Goofy. Johnson wants facilities for one simple reason: facilities recruit. Equipment recruits. Because recruits are 18 and glitter dazzles them. I just overreached too, but the point is all about recruiting. I doubt Paul Johnson gives a flip about an afternoon nap or a makeup mirror or hair dryers or ....

And all that you states comes through very clearly in what PJ said. Hummer, like a lot of others, took what they wanted and, surprise surprise, ignored the true message. He stated VERY clearly he and the team EXPECT to beat every team, every time. What he was referring to, and this had been a constant, that given the disparity in resources why would anyone expect Tech to beat Clemson?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Probably not worth the read. But

Paul brought this 100 percent on himself. There are times to spout frustration and times to be quit. Its funny to see him talk about JeT keeping his composure in adversity yet look in the mirror.

So he deserves the spins and press this gets. This needs to be a closed door discussion and it does send the wrong message. Sorry its just true.

With that said what paul said is true too. Been saying it for years. And its not a much about shiny locker rooms as it is about staff. And ability to hire more higher paid assistants. Paul wants to start there. He wants a staff around 12. Not 3.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

And, as much as the facilities, his point has been about the staff. Both in recruiting and analytics and the like.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck

Paul brought this 100 percent on himself. There are times to spout frustration and times to be quit. Its funny to see him talk about JeT keeping his composure in adversity yet look in the mirror.

So he deserves the spins and press this gets. This needs to be a closed door discussion and it does send the wrong message. Sorry its just true.

With that said what paul said is true too. Been saying it for years. And its not a much about shiny locker rooms as it is about staff. And ability to hire more higher paid assistants. Paul wants to start there. He wants a staff around 12. Not 3.
I think he was telling it like it is. I did not get that he lost his composure. I have always given Paul man love for being straight up with everyone. By the way, he gets man love from a very large % of his past players. I have no love for people with an agenda like the AJC. I refuse to pay .01 for any Atl paper.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

He was asked a question and he answered it. He didn't say anything wrong and it was completely twisted. How does anyone deserve to have something they say twisted? That doesn't make any sense to me.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
It may have not been the best of venues, but CPJ know what it is going to take to win consistently in a conference that is growing stronger every year. We need to do everything we can to bring the top recruits for our system in. I'm sure that the staff asks recruits why they didn't choose Tech after signing day, and that a lot of them are very honest about why. When you have 40 analyst helping you prepare/recruit you're putting yourself in a much better position than a team that has very few or none.

gtg771r

Jolly Good Fellow
I completely agree with the article. He has drawn a line in the sand with his continued comments on the subject. It will be really interesting to see how this shakes out with Stansbury. I almost feel like he's building excuses for performance with hopes to save his job on the one excuse. In my opinion, he should be able to recruit regardless.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I completely agree with the article. He has drawn a line in the sand with his continued comments on the subject. It will be really interesting to see how this shakes out with Stansbury. I almost feel like he's building excuses for performance with hopes to save his job on the one excuse. In my opinion, he should be able to recruit regardless.
Having a new athletic director could very well increase the chances that CPJ will be fired for a .500 record or worse this season in my opinion.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
One of a head coach's jobs is to be able to play/manipulate the media for his own purposes. Not just use it as a venting tool. It is very legitimate for CPJ to lay out a message that he needs some things but it has to be done in the context that he is going to compete with anyone. And it wasn't like we got blown out by Clemson so he wasn't having to defend a disaster. Should be easy for a HC in that situation to construct an argument that says we want to compete with anyone, we did compete today, we are close but need a few things. Hope we can build on this and get more GT fans in the seats. Really want them here. Really looking forward to a new AD and working with him on some of the improvements we need here. It's great but we are going to make it greater.

I know Cutcliff gets mixed emotions here but if you look at his tenure at Duke his biggest success has beeen working the system at Duke to get both investments financially in the program and academic loosening for recruiting. Not to high end levels by any stretch but he was able to bring that system together in a way they had never done before. But he is very good at manipulating the media in the RTP area and very rarely if ever comes across like this article.

It is part of playing the game for the HC anywhere.