ACC Discussion 2019-20

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I just figured Syracuse was considered a bad loss and since Syracuse just beat a VT team whose stock is rising that the loss wouldn’t be “as bad”

According to Wiki home against 161 is considered a bad loss. RPI currently has Cuse at around 120 and NET (which replaced the RPI for the NCAAT) actually has them at about 77 so I don't think it was ever considered a bad loss from that standpoint. If anything it might open the door to beating them @Cuse being considered a good win, although with VT ranking 32 in the NET it might eliminate the chance that beating them at home is a good win. By NET rankings the only ACC team that could count as a bad loss (quadrant 4 loss) is BC at 168 if you lose to them at home. ACC is down this year, but it isn't that far down. It's more that there really isn't any teams separating in the 4-6 areas instead there is one big block in the middle.

The Cuse loss feels worse because of how the game was played, but for the NET there isn't a difference between a 10 point loss and a 30 point if I understand things correctly.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
UVA just held a team (NC State) scoreless for 10 consecutive minutes in the 2nd half tonight... and lost... at home.

Can’t imagine that has happened in the shot clock era before.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I will always support our program and as an extension our coach, but I'd probably eat paint chips to have Mike Brey be our coach.. Love that dude.

His comments are spot-on and pretty mild tbh. If I were going to be paying $20,000, I'd probably have gone waaaaaaay off.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
old school lead based paint chips? :sick:

What do you think he was raised on? :p

Anyways, Notre Dame shot almost twice the amount of freethrows as FSU. Man what would he have said if he had the crew that didn't call a foul on FSU for like 11 and a half minutes in the second half?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Brey is in his 20th season at ND.
Given where GT is today, I'd take him and his track record of 12 NCAAT appearances in 19 years in a heartbeat.
For me to consider him anything more than just a good coach, I want to see more than his 3 second weekend appearances in 19 years when you're the HC at ND... and bound to be 20 years after they (likely) fail to make the tournament again this season.
Perhaps just my perception, but I think he gets more cred here than warranted. We basically had Brey's track record in Hewitt, and for whatever reason it wasn't enough.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Given where GT is today, I'd take him and his track record of 12 NCAAT appearances in 19 years in a heartbeat.
For me to consider him anything more than just a good coach, I want to see more than his 3 second weekend appearances in 19 years when you're the HC at ND... and bound to be 20 years after they (likely) fail to make the tournament again this season.
Perhaps just my perception, but I think he gets more cred here than warranted. We basically had Brey's track record in Hewitt, and for whatever reason it wasn't enough.

For sure, the argument can definitely be made that his results do not match his reputation, but there's just something about him that I really like on the sideline.

To be honest, I did not realize that he had been there that long.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I don't necessarily agree. Brey has only had 2 losing seasons at ND, while Hewitt had 5 losing seasons in his 11 seasons here. So even when Brey doesn't make the Big Dance, they still have a decent team/record. Hewitt's teams had some ugly seasons in the back half of his career here.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I like Brey a lot, but why would he leave ND?

I know, the weather in South Bend is crappy and the place is a dump. But he probably makes a lot more at ND than we can pay him (considering our other financial issues) and ND actually has a great basketball tradition. Better than ours.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I don't necessarily agree. Brey has only had 2 losing seasons at ND, while Hewitt had 5 losing seasons in his 11 seasons here. So even when Brey doesn't make the Big Dance, they still have a decent team/record. Hewitt's teams had some ugly seasons in the back half of his career here.
Yea, there was a noticeable slide in Hewitt's teams' performance per W/L record as you stated. My post was more of a comparison of postseason success which I was using as the barometer, where it's NCAAT or bust for me. For me personally, having a winning record and making the NIT has nearly zero incremental value as compared to a losing record. Just my opinion. The journey is more fun, I guess, if we are more bubblicious. But NIT games, even the ones we play in, are just weekday background noise compared to the NCAAT.

scotts

Jolly Good Fellow
Brey has made the tournament 3 times in his 6+ years in the ACC. He is likely not to make it this year which will be his 3rd year in a row.

Deleted member 2897

So after squeaking a win by us, Notre Dame lost by 2 to Syracuse and then same thing barely losing to #5 Florida State. They are 2-6 in ACC play with 5 ACC losses by less than 5 points, 6 losses overall by that small margin. Wow.