ACC Discussion 2019-20

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Overrated except for Anthony.
Those overrated players stayed with FSU right to the end. And that's with Anthony not being much of a factor.

UNC has always had a gaggle of big guys who could dominate most teams inside. They do not have them this year and Roy has not made the adjustment to playing a smaller lineup. And, he doesn't have the shooters you need to beat teams who pack the lane. I think they will be handful for any ACC team when Anthony is back to his high level.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Those overrated players stayed with FSU right to the end. And that's with Anthony not being much of a factor.

UNC has always had a gaggle of big guys who could dominate most teams inside. They do not have them this year and Roy has not made the adjustment to playing a smaller lineup. And, he doesn't have the shooters you need to beat teams who pack the lane. I think they will be handful for any ACC team when Anthony is back to his high level.

He has had something like his top 3 guards injured for a bunch of the season. No tears for him but it does limit his ability to go small. Baycott hasn't been everything they hoped for sure but his issue has been a lot more at the guard slot.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The 4th highest KenPom after Duke, Louisville and Florida State is Syracuse at something like 53. Wow, as of right now we only have 3 legitimate NCAAT teams LOL. NC State was 40 when we last played them and they’ve fallen all the way to 70. Wow.
NET ranking looks even worse. 4th in the ACC is Virginia at #58. Then ND (#61), Syr (#64), NC State (#69), VT (#72) and Pitt (#75). Beating those teams on the road would qualify as a Quad 1 win, however beating them pushes them closer or into a Q2.

Coming in at #79? Georgia Tech. Win @ Pitt on Saturday and we'll leapfrog them and be right in the discussion for top half of the league. We will be an underdog though on the road.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Deleted member 2897

NET ranking looks even worse. 4th in the ACC is Virginia at #58. Then ND (#61), Syr (#64), NC State (#69), VT (#72) and Pitt (#75).

Coming in at #79? Georgia Tech. Win @ Pitt on Saturday and we'll leapfrog them and be right in the discussion for top half of the league. We will be an underdog though on the road.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings

Yep, its a log jam of like 8 teams +/- 2 games around 0.500. If we can pull off an 11-9 finish, I wouldn't be surprised with tiebreakers if that's like 6th place. And of course, we haven't finished > 0.500 in like 20 years or whatever, so that would be a nice way to end and hopefully build some momentum and hope for next year.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Get a road win at Pitt on Saturday and we could rise as high as 6th or 7th in the conference. A top half finish is not out of the realm of possibility - IF - we can stay healthy and win the ones we are suppose too.
Hey, I am just hoping we can avoiid the first night of the ACC Tourney for the first time in ages...

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NET ranking looks even worse. 4th in the ACC is Virginia at #58. Then ND (#61), Syr (#64), NC State (#69), VT (#72) and Pitt (#75). Beating those teams on the road would qualify as a Quad 1 win, however beating them pushes them closer or into a Q2.

This Pitt game will be a big one for us. If we can pull off the road W, I think that have an excellent shot at cracking into the top 6. I can easily see a scenario of where we go 6-2 down the stretch.

slugboy

Staff member
Yesterday was the anniversary of this photo
a834e5986171584ae58c8e74f42599ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
Hey, I am just hoping we can avoiid the first night of the ACC Tourney for the first time in ages...

Agreed. Of course, if we withdraw our appeal of the NCAA sanctions, then we’ll avoid the tourney altogether.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Get a road win at Pitt on Saturday and we could rise as high as 6th or 7th in the conference. A top half finish is not out of the realm of possibility - IF - we can stay healthy and win the ones we are suppose too.
Crazy to think we could finish that high and not make the tournament. One loss is about all we can do the rest of the way and go 2-1 in Greensboro. That could get us into Dayton possibly.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Wow! What a game between UNC and Duke. TV Teddy blew it late.
That no call on out of bounds off UNC was a game changer. Could have easily called a foul. That was one heck of a game to watch . UNC will be a tough out now with Anthony back. He was on his game last night. Fun to watch Jones and Anthony go at it and play at such a high level.