ACC Discussion 2019-20

Deleted member 2897

“No margin.”

ZVomWg.gif

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UVA got a huge win last night. I think if selections were today ACC would get 4 teams in - Duke, L'ville, FSU and UVA.
i think VT's and NCST losses over the last 5 days probably knock them to the wrong side of the bubble right now. VT also has to combat having had an atrocious OOC schedule, #351 - similar to what happened to NCST last year when it had an atrocious schedule.

We are halfway through the ACC and there really isn't alot of separation. The main takeaway for me is that GT can win any game it is in, it can also lose any game.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
VT always has a horrible OOC. I remember the Greenberg years a couple of his bubble teams didn’t make it and he pitched a fit.

Deleted member 2897

UVA got a huge win last night. I think if selections were today ACC would get 4 teams in - Duke, L'ville, FSU and UVA.
i think VT's and NCST losses over the last 5 days probably knock them to the wrong side of the bubble right now. VT also has to combat having had an atrocious OOC schedule, #351 - similar to what happened to NCST last year when it had an atrocious schedule.

We are halfway through the ACC and there really isn't alot of separation. The main takeaway for me is that GT can win any game it is in, it can also lose any game.

The ACC might get like 9 teams into the NIT LOL.

I remember sometime back maybe mid to second half of the 90s when 4 teams tied for first place in the ACC. And that was all that got into the NCAAT. Of course we were next. I remember thinking what a bunch of hooey – the best basketball conference in the country, and if you don’t tie for first place you don’t get into the tournament?

This year I don’t see that level of play though. Too many mediocre OOC losses by the teams.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Issue for most of the teams in the middle is they don't have any real OOC wins. Not just us who sucked OOC but UVA (best OOC win AZ State), Syracuse (best OOC win Cornell??) or NCSU (WISC - not too bad) - who are supposed to be next in line for dancing really don't have the OOC resume you want. VT does have the win over Mich State but a bunch of trash otherwise. UNC has wins over Oregon, AL and UCLA but also a bunch of bad losses.

Then no one in the ACC is pushing through the middle in the league so it looks - and really is - a big pile of blah. I do think in the end a couple of teams will sneak through a really mushy bubble and make the tourney but it is only because not much else looks a whole lot better than we do.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Syracuse is actually playing well now and has become respectable and nearly dangerous. The game at GT seems to be the inflection point in their season.

Unfortunately they need to compensate for the ****show during the non-conference, and there aren't many opportunities given how weak the ACC is this year. They have the misfortune of only getting 1 shot at Duke, FSU and Louisville. Hypothetically they could win 13 games in the ACC (they won't) and not beat a NCAAT team.

Deleted member 2897

North Carolina nearly knocked off top 10 Florida State on the road last night.

Since so many of you enjoy hearing it, they lost despite getting 25% more field goal attempts. :D

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
North Carolina nearly knocked off top 10 Florida State on the road last night.

Since so many of you enjoy hearing it, they lost despite getting 25% more field goal attempts. :D
They got a lot of offensive rebounds and sent FSU to the FT line on a lot of possessions. The game was pretty close at the end, but I never felt like UNC was going to stop FSU. The Noles are really talented.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
FSU is a sweet 16 potentially Elite 8 team this year. They are that good but they will run up against someone who doesn't turn the ball over and they have a bad shooting night. They are not good enough offensively to survive not getting points off their D against a good team.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't watch the game, but I heard UNC had an 0-17 stretch shooting the ball against FSU. UNC had an 0-15 stretch over 13 minutes in their loss to GT.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I didn't watch the game, but I heard UNC had an 0-17 stretch shooting the ball against FSU. UNC had an 0-15 stretch over 13 minutes in their loss to GT.
They went for 12-13 minutes without a field goal. And Cole Anthony bricked several free throws during that span. But, except for that period of futility, the Heels were right with FSU. The problem was the final 5-6 minutes they were always 4-8 points behind and could not close the deal.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Even Roy can't coach up mediocre talent. Cole Anthony will get his game back by the ACCT and they will be a tougher out. UNC this year proves you can't win without talent and how important recruiting is in the ACC. They have like 4 top players coming in next year.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
Even Roy can't coach up mediocre talent. Cole Anthony will get his game back by the ACCT and they will be a tougher out. UNC this year proves you can't win without talent and how important recruiting is in the ACC. They have like 4 top players coming in next year.
That's a lot of recruiting stars on the floor for 'mediocre talent'

Deleted member 2897

The 4th highest KenPom after Duke, Louisville and Florida State is Syracuse at something like 53. Wow, as of right now we only have 3 legitimate NCAAT teams LOL. NC State was 40 when we last played them and they’ve fallen all the way to 70. Wow.