9-4

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think people have romanticized the death march far more than they should. The idea of the death march is to take advantage of a tired defense at the end of the game when you have a lead. People here act like we need death marches in the first quarter and that just isn't a recipe for great success.

The issue is that the death march is inherent reliance on plays that are just barely getting it done. That means if one play goes wrong, a false start, a defender making a great play to beat a block, a missed read, then you find yourself in a situation where those plays that you rely on so much aren't going to get it done. That is why it needs to be thought of as something to take advantage of a tired defense, not try and cause it, because if you can reliably dominate on the offensive line where having death marches early in the game is consistent, then you don't need to wear down the opponent, because you're already beating them when they are fresh.

Death marches are for situations where taking 7 to get 3 is as good or better as taking 3 to get 7 (minutes/points btw). Those situations are few and far between though. IMO gearing an offense around death marches is like gearing an offense in basketball around the mid range jump shot. Sure, it's a nice tool to have, but you don't base your offense around it. Sure, do it well enough and you can win some games, especially if you have a defense that is smothering. But it just isn't a good offensive game plan.

For example look at yesterday. We had 3 drives totaling 32 plays and 17+ minutes that ended in a total of 9 points. That isn't good. Sure, we got away with it because our defense scored a TD, only allowed 18 total points, and our ST's got us another 3, but we greatly outplayed kentucky in all 3 phases, and yet with 4 minutes to go in the game they were an onside kick away from having a chance to tie it. That's what death march football gets you if you can't get it in the endzone. And this was against a team that is now 110th in the country in rushing defense and our yards per rush was pretty much the same as they average giving up anyways. If we had a defense and ST that could reliably hold teams to under 20 then a death march still would be perfect. But we've never had that under Johnson.

For next year I think Jordan will be the starter game one because Johnson is going to go with consistency in a first game against power 5 competition, and also means he is very likely to be the starter the next two years regardless. People point to the VT game, but I look at that game in a different light. Jordan played well, but he also had the advantage of VT preparing for Thomas. Things are different when teams are preparing only for you, for examples I think VT was caught off guard by the midline where Jordan got his big game but most teams will be preparing for it more next year. You even saw that happen in the second half when Jordan picked up just 17 yards on 13 carries. As far as the game goes, we scored 10 points off drives starting in field goal range, and another 7 with a home run from the bback spot, that we probably won't have next year. He did his part, but he got a lot more help than I think he'll usually get as well.

I think we'll be okay with him, probably still bowling, but I think there is a fairly low ceiling on the program the next two years if he is the QB, unless the defense makes huge strides.

I look at Death Marches (or extended drives considering "death march" should be for closing the game out) at any time in the game like body blows in boxing. You're not looking to knock them out, but come the 3rd and 4th quarter, they add up and wear down the opponent. You'll start blowing them off the line easier and defenders are just gassed. Not to mention, it helps our defense rest.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We death march teams at the end of games on purpose and in other times during the game when we struggle. We don't death march folks on purpose in Qtr 1. We death march them then when they play us well and we struggle a bit.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
im pleased as punch with the season.

could it have been better? of course. a win at pitt and take away those two fumbles near the goal line an the miami game could have ended differently.

way to go jackets

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
There is little talk about Taquon regarding next year's QB options. I recall seeing him in an early game and he seemed very athletic. Does anyone know how the coaches view his future? Does he have a realistic shot at QB or will we hear that he is changing positions like Christian Campbell?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
There is little talk about Taquon regarding next year's QB options. I recall seeing him in an early game and he seemed very athletic. Does anyone know how the coaches view his future? Does he have a realistic shot at QB or will we hear that he is changing positions like Christian Campbell?

Can't throw the ball well. Won't be the quarterback until that improves.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
MJ starts game one. Maybe only because of experience or maybe because he's better. We'll have our permanent starter by game 3-4, whoever that is. I personally think LJ is the future, but will be happy with whoever PJ picks.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Death marches? Well, let me first say this: with the only exception being the very end of certain games, you never turn your nose up to a big play for a TD. Points are always good. There is an extreme value to scoring, admittedly. To me, death marches are what happen when a defense is playing very well against us and we execute our offense in the face of it. We need to be able to fairly consistently score after 15 plays in order to be successful against everybody, not just the teams we get 4 run outs against. A good example of this was the win we had against Miami at home a couple years ago. I thought they played really well on defense and we beat them anyway. We kept the ball away, scored some of the time, and froze their offense on the sideline.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck

Pure speculation here... Seems like TaQuan Marshall was never going to see the field as an A-back this year, so coaches moved him to emergency QB to ensure they wouldn't have to burn a redshirt of Jones or Johnson. With Isaiah Willis now graduated, they probably move Marshall back into the mix at AB.

Speaking of Christian Campbell, what about his chances of moving back to QB? Did the coaches give up on his potential there or did they just move him to Defense for the experience?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Pure speculation here... Seems like TaQuan Marshall was never going to see the field as an A-back this year, so coaches moved him to emergency QB to ensure they wouldn't have to burn a redshirt of Jones or Johnson. With Isaiah Willis now graduated, they probably move Marshall back into the mix at AB.

Speaking of Christian Campbell, what about his chances of moving back to QB? Did the coaches give up on his potential there or did they just move him to Defense for the experience?

Everything I've read or seen on CC is that he will stay at safety, most likely #2 on the depth chart going into spring.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

CC requested the switch.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
MJ was recruited by some schools as a WR. He's not JT fast but he's fast - but it's straight line speed, and he's not great laterally, which I think is what gives the impression that he's not super athletic
Agree that he is fast, just not as shifty as JT. If he is smooth on the option and throws an accurate ball, we'll be okay.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
As far as death marches or lack there of, we ran fewer plays this year since way back. When we limit possessions to 8-10 per game to the opposition, we have a good chance to win.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I agree but GT will probably be shafted. I hope i'm wrong however and see GT ranked around #20.
I like when we aren't pre season top 25...I know I know in order for us to take the next step we have to start proving we can win when we are pre season ranked but i just can't handle getting excited for nothing again haha

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
The notion and sound of death march is cool. Not all teams are equipped to do it (as well as ) we can. I guess we interchangeably use the term "death march" for long drives that grind out yards? Regardless of the official definition, I think we all understand the concept. It does wear out the defense... slow death right? Speaking of which, I've often heard announcers mention when defenders are tired/exhausted... and as a sign you see hands on hips.... is this a science? Hands on hips is a universal cue of being exhausted? Never could figure that one out.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I like when we aren't pre season top 25...I know I know in order for us to take the next step we have to start proving we can win when we are pre season ranked but i just can't handle getting excited for nothing again haha
I think Georgia Tech will be ranked in the #15-#20 range if they start the 2017 season off by beating Tennessee,Jacksonville State and Central Florida.