9-4

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I love your new avatar @flea77
It sure seemed like Will got bigger during the season?
To add to Fleas comment my son who played ol in college said the nt was sick of being rooted out of position by the low blocking followed by a runer with pads 2feet off ground then hitting him in the face. Play of game was jazz helping the nt get up before we scored behind Will. That's a great memory.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
On "death marches":

I said in a thread awhile ago that I thought Coach's O is essentially a defensive strategy. The whole point is to do the one thing that makes winning easier: keeping the opposing O off the field. Holding on to the ball limits their chances and makes it more and more difficult to respond, provided we score regularly. I think the reason some people don't like the O is just this; they want to see us pile up the scores and "dominate" the other side. "That's what gets you ranked! We're too boring!" and such as that. But what Coach is trying to do is simple: win. Period. Full Stop. The best way to do that for a team that'll never be a Bammer on D is to score first, then sit on the ball like a slug. And the best way to answer an opponent scoring is to score again and take awhile doing it. If you want to see what I think Tech will look like next year, go watch a Navy game from this year. You'll see a combo of quick scores - always (heh, heh) take the points - and long drives that usually end in scores.

On Matthew:

I think he'll be like a faster Will Worth. Here's what I'm hoping we'll see a lot of from Matthew:

Yes. I wouldn't be surprised to see him being another Kaipo for us next year. I do think he'll be able to actually, you know, throw the ball, something Kaipo always struggled with. We'll see, but the talent is there.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
On "death marches":

I said in a thread awhile ago that I thought Coach's O is essentially a defensive strategy. The whole point is to do the one thing that makes winning easier: keeping the opposing O off the field. Holding on to the ball limits their chances and makes it more and more difficult to respond, provided we score regularly. I think the reason some people don't like the O is just this; they want to see us pile up the scores and "dominate" the other side. "That's what gets you ranked! We're too boring!" and such as that. But what Coach is trying to do is simple: win. Period. Full Stop. The best way to do that for a team that'll never be a Bammer on D is to score first, then sit on the ball like a slug. And the best way to answer an opponent scoring is to score again and take awhile doing it. If you want to see what I think Tech will look like next year, go watch a Navy game from this year. You'll see a combo of quick scores - always (heh, heh) take the points - and long drives that usually end in scores.

On Matthew:

I think he'll be like a faster Will Worth. Here's what I'm hoping we'll see a lot of from Matthew:

Yes. I wouldn't be surprised to see him being another Kaipo for us next year. I do think he'll be able to actually, you know, throw the ball, something Kaipo always struggled with. We'll see, but the talent is there.

Thats a big statement. Kaipo ran the offense for 8 years and was a wizard.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Wouldnt rule out pt for JJ - he is evidently a phenomenal athlete - looks pretty ripped in this pic and article said he is doing very well in practice.

https://georgiatech.rivals.com/news/practice-notes-12-19

There was a shot during the game with JJ standing next to Dedrick that made me think "Hmm, if JJ gains like 10-15 lbs, he could probably play BB." The guy is built like a tank, and his running style is physical. He's a little taller than Dedrick so the frame is there for extra weight.

Of course, he came he specifically to play AB, so that's just a thought.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
There was a shot during the game with JJ standing next to Dedrick that made me think "Hmm, if JJ gains like 10-15 lbs, he could probably play BB." The guy is built like a tank, and his running style is physical. He's a little taller than Dedrick so the frame is there for extra weight.

Of course, he came he specifically to play AB, so that's just a thought.
JJ Green is who I'm assuming you're talking about and yes I agree.

JJ in the QB battle is Jay Jones.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
It sure seemed like Will got bigger during the season?
To add to Fleas comment my son who played ol in college said the nt was sick of being rooted out of position by the low blocking followed by a runer with pads 2feet off ground then hitting him in the face. Play of game was jazz helping the nt get up before we scored behind Will. That's a great memory.
He actually lost 13lbs. Thats why he works so hard in the off season. He knows he has to gain muscle mass because he has trouble keeping the weight on once the season gets rolling. School plus football does not equal a lot of sleep.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
He actually lost 13lbs. Thats why he works so hard in the off season. He knows he has to gain muscle mass because he has trouble keeping the weight on once the season gets rolling. School plus football does not equal a lot of sleep.
It's going to be interesting to see what he starts next year.

At about midseason , you were right when u said the ol was coming together.

What I am most happy about is we can count on u guys not being satisfied with just repeating 2016.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You know the old Tech adage:

"Work, sleep, friends. Pick two."

I use this myself for non-Tech students. Gets them in the right frame of mind.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
On "death marches":

On Matthew:

Agree with you takethepoints. And most people who do not follow us do not remember/know, we are already one of the best teams in 50+, 80+ scoring plays in the nation! Not boring at all if you are paying attention

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Agree with you takethepoints. And most people who do not follow us do not remember/know, we are already one of the best teams in 50+, 80+ scoring plays in the nation! Not boring at all if you are paying attention

So you're saying we need to adjust our complaining about being "boring" and starting complaining that "we're scoring too fast!"

:)

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
3-3 in October to finish 9-4.... WOW!

"When the leaves turn the option churns."

Option teams on average start slower and finish strong. Most cite precision & timing from repetitions late in the season. 2014 and 2016 were good examples as our offense was way better by the end of the year.

Trick is to survive the early games. 16 team playoff favors a school like GT.