4 games...

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Agree 100% with this post. It doesn't help that our offensive line will be working on an entirely new scheme that they probably haven't practiced since high school. I'm more worried about consistent 2nd or 3rd and longs than any other facet of our team. We don't have P5 size on the offensive line and we absolutely cannot be taking massive amounts of sacks. I also don't love the idea of our DBs having to guard receivers for 5+ seconds each play. It's hard to minimize completions/yardage/first downs/TOP if the opponent is playing 10 yard pitch and catch every down.

Not this again. This is simply not true

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
I am anxious to see how the team plays this year.

Anxious to see who will step up on defense under the new coaching staff. If after a gut check the first game, the defense comes together, this could be a tough team to beat. It appears the secondary has players in the 20 mph club. (That is a new one on me, but cool way to showcase speed). We just need Marco Coleman to coach up players to his collegiate skill level. Emphasize wrapping up when you tackle. And find the ball when it is in the air. I think these guys could be the resurrection of the Black Watch.

The offense has athletically gifted quarterbacks, as well as running backs. How well the offense develops during fall camp will be interesting to watch.

I understand the headwinds facing this team, but a prediction of 4 wins is insulting and hopefully used as motivation by the staff to fire these kids up.

I know I have my gold colored glasses on, but there is talent. Let the staff bring out the heart and soul of the team and make them winners.

TechPreacher

Banned
Given the variables at play here for GT this particular season, it's hard to compare us to any other D1 school with a new coach.

The dynamic of our previous offense and the players recruited for it, make GT's situation very different from Miami, Temple, or any of the others with a new HC.

What concerns me most is the changes to technique on the OL, WR's, and QB's. I imagine due to that, the transition will be a little tougher for our guys versus, say, Miami.

Given that, rather than be overly concerned with W's and L's, I will be watching our improvement over the course of the season. I mean, yeah, I want us to win 8 or 9 games. Is that reasonable? I dont know.

But if we do actually only win 4 or 5, yet we get progressively better over the season, and win 2 or of our last 3 games, while giving the Eaters of Turd a run for their money, I would definitely be happy with that, despite the win total.

Now if we only win 3 and we look like $hit all year with no discernable difference between the Clemson game and Eaters of Turd game, then I'll be concerned.

But a strong finish would do wonders for media hype and momentum going into 2020.

Liked for "Eaters of Turd"

slugboy

Staff member
I was about to say the same although one part is true - no pass rush. Hopefully that will change but there’s no obvious answer there.

The pass rush (and overall defense) has been surprising for a while. We’ve had players come in at the front 7 and shown flashes as Freshmen and Sophomores, and then not progress. If you put a lot of faith in recruiting rankings, we’ve been recruiting in the 50’s and 60’s, but our defense has underperformed that.
I don’t think it’s just one obvious answer. We’ve seen the slo-mo game tape. Our DBs performed well with Kelly here. They’ve gotten worse about giving up 3rd and 12 since he left. We’ve watched linebackers get caught in the wash for years, or two of them run to the same spot, or run into a block. We’ve seen DL not rotated and get worn out.
Some of it is coaching, some of it is training. Moving someone like Lee over to DL should help.
Giving up a few less 3rd and longs alone will help these guys out.
Another thing: If the fans in the stands think that the opposition is going to convert a 3rd and long, chances are the defenders have the same thing coming into their heads. Belief isn’t enough on it’s own, but if the coaches get some enthusiasm and push away some of the doubts, then that might be a boost for the guys. I’ve heard a lot of NFL CBs say that a short memory is their best asset, and we might need that too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
I confess I have a long memory of our DBs missing a helluva lotta tackles last year.

Hopefully the DBs will make a lotta more tackles this year, and make my memory a shorter one.

LOL

I confess I have a long memory of our DBs missing a helluva lotta tackles last year.

Hopefully the DBs will make a lotta more tackles this year, and make my memory a shorter one.

LOL
Our DBs, as well as LBs have been missing tackles for years, not just last year. I sure hope the new D coaches can teach them how to tackle and hold tackles.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Our DBs, as well as LBs have been missing tackles for years, not just last year. I sure hope the new D coaches can teach them how to tackle and hold tackles.
Sure seems like kids have this (or don't) when they get off da bus the first time on campus. No coaches taught Roof or Coleman how to tackle. I do believe we will have more athletic DBs for awhile and this will impact tackling ability.

Sure seems like kids have this (or don't) when they get off da bus the first time on campus. No coaches taught Roof or Coleman how to tackle. I do believe we will have more athletic DBs for awhile and this will impact tackling ability.
No coaches may have had to teach Roof or Coleman to tackle, but it would seem incumbent to the job to at least try to impart some of that God-given ability to others. Maybe they tried, and it just never sunk in, but we sure have had our share of players who didn't have a clue how to tackle or to hold on once they actually made contact, and this goes back for years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
6-8 wins. One less will be very disappointing. One more will be very very exciting.

The only thing separating us from the big boys of football, as always, is talent and depth at the line of scrimmage. We will hang with all but two teams on the schedule and great effort in those two games could cause us to hang with them also.

We have solid skill guys. Guys that will give some teams a headache or two. And a couple of new faces will come in and contribute.

Should be a fun season to watch unfold so long as fans don’t see the sky is falling after a loss....which Tech fans seem to do at least as much as everyone else.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No coaches may have had to teach Roof or Coleman to tackle, but it would seem incumbent to the job to at least try to impart some of that God-given ability to others. Maybe they tried, and it just never sunk in, but we sure have had our share of players who didn't have a clue how to tackle or to hold on once they actually made contact, and this goes back for years.
Remember today you can't teach players to tackle in high school like we were taught to drive your facemask in their chest into wrap up.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

During the first few games last year, a couple of defenders were consistently trying to knock down the ball carrier and didn’t even lift their arms, much less wrap up. So frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember today you can't teach players to tackle in high school like we were taught to drive your facemask in their chest into wrap up.

With the rule changes, including horse collar, and what seems to me the randomness of officials calling targeting, I wonder how defenders are taught to tackle at the college level. I really have not thought too much about it, but my playing days were in the 70s, and different rules applied. When playing defense, I broke several helmets with helmet to helmet contact. Nowadays, you are sitting out a half for targeting.

Another thought about wraping up. Used to be you could grab a jersey. Nowadays, the jerseys fit tight, giving less chance of actually getting your hands on some jersey.

Maybe some recent players could chime in on current technique. Ibeeballin?

(I googled tackling in college football. Much written about this. There's even stuff about robots...)

slugboy

Staff member
For those people who were upset that Bill Connelly was rating us low because of our lost production
@ESPN_BillC: Alright, rosters updated and S&P+ projections almost done.

Teams with the largest jump in projected S&P+ (b/c of transfers, late recruiting, etc.): Wyoming, Tulane, Ore St, GT, Purdue, Mizzou

Teams with largest tumble in projected S&P+: Troy, BGSU, K-State, WMU, ODU, Rice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk