4 games...

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Okay I'll bite. Why do you think them having a new coaching staff means we should be a lock to beat them?

Only the Citadel is a "lock" but there are several other games we "should' win and Temple falls into that category. They have a new staff and less talent. A mediocre Duke handled them. We could lose, but I certainly dont think we are underdogs by any means.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Okay I'll bite. Why do you think them having a new coaching staff means we should be a lock to beat them?

Oh man, are you daft! You and pretty much everyone else on here thinks we may only win 3 or 4 games because we have a NEW COACH and system, heaven forbid, and our OL will never be able to learn that newfangle thang called pass blocking! But Temple DOES HAVE A NEW COACH. I'm sure of it.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Oh man, are you daft! You and pretty much everyone else on here thinks we may only win 3 or 4 games because we have a NEW COACH and system, heaven forbid, and our OL will never be able to learn that newfangle thang called pass blocking! But Temple DOES HAVE A NEW COACH. I'm sure of it.

The irony of you calling anyone daft is amusing. Yes, temple has a new coach. Why does that make us a lock to win when we are in the same position?

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Then why did he quit?

The man coached football for 39 straight years (1979-2018). Geez, that’s a long, long time! He decided it was simply time to go.

Myself, I retired after 30 years. Thirty years was enough for me!!

By the way, in his 39 years of coaching football, Paul Johnson was never fired. Wow! How many football coaches can claim such an achievement, over such a length of time? Very few ...

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think we may lose?

For the same reasons I already outlined to you in a different topic. A new coach is only one part. We're making a bigger than usual transition in system on offense, return a very low amount of production, and have had mediocre recruiting. For this particular game it is also on the road early in the year, and they achieved a similar level to what we did last year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We are getting more downgraded because not only the coaching change but also the Offensive Scheme change, whether this turns-out to be a real factor or not will be the key factor for W/L's.
But don't forget three teams on our schedule also have coaching changes with Miami getting their usual pre-season lovefest in the media.
I think the schedule could be favorable for us, if USF-Citadel-Temple-UNC are all wins, Duke will be the crucial game in terms of how the remainder of the schedule plays out.
I thought the scheme change was supposed to make us better?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
It’s not hate. He said he’d quit when it was no longer fun. He hates losing. He knew this team was going to lose and that wasn’t going to be fun.
He also said that he knew it would be time to retire when he started listening to fans for coaching advice. Maybe he read one of your posts, thought it sounded like good advice...and then realized that he had just jumped the proverbial shark.

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Frankly, outside of Clemson and the mutts, I think every game is winnable. VT was complete garbage last year - not sure how they've suddenly vaulted us. Duke has a new QB and no longer has us figured out before the game starts. UVA is probably the best of the rest but they aren't world-beaters. USF regressed to dog **** last year and we should've beaten them by 3 TDs. We won't give up 2 KO Return TDs again. Miami's an overrated dumpster fire again. UNC is in a similar situation to us, with a new coach but they're still the Holes.

None of the rest deserve a mention.
Love this post. I'll say though, it's high time we repaid the mutts for 2009.

Jmonty71

Banned
I know this has been stated on many threads, but the whole world thinks we will only win 4 games?! I might as well sell my season tickets now. And most people are saying UNDER 4! LIKE 3 OR LESS!!! I look at it like this.

Clemson - L
USF -L
Citadel -W
Temple -W
UNC - W
Duke - Toss up, but I'll say L
Miami - L
Pitt - W
Virginia - L
VT - W
NC State - W
uga - L

By my count that's 6. With a bowl bid.
4 is our floor. Pitt Citadel and Temple are all locks for me. If we can't win one game between UNC, Virginia, VT, or NC State then I'm deeply disappointed.
We usually pull out our worst games of the year against Duke and UNC. I hope that trend ends, this year.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
For the same reasons I already outlined to you in a different topic. A new coach is only one part. We're making a bigger than usual transition in system on offense, return a very low amount of production, and have had mediocre recruiting. For this particular game it is also on the road early in the year, and they achieved a similar level to what we did last year.

You don' think we may have much better talent than Temple? It must be very hard for you to be a Tech fan?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
I agree a few on here the last 2 years that wanted CPJ fired was because things had got stale winning 7 games. He retires we hire a younger coach with lots of energy and those same people are OK with 6 or less wins. I really think we will be fine this year without a bad rash of injuries. The telling point we be how they react after their first loss so we will know pretty early I guess.

THIS..... while i loved cpj i also like the new coach and his staff. i fully expect the change in energy will make a huge difference.

forever the optimist. we win them all starting with an upset of clumpsin which sets the tone for the entire year.