2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament - Nat'l Seed Watch

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

On the podcast there was a big debate over GT/ECU at 8/9. They settled on Tech with the caveat that ECU would get a seed if they win their conference tourney.

They just lost their first game of the AACT to 27-29 Wichita State. Their tourney is set up like a 8 team Super Regional so they have to win four in a row to win it all.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Jynxed it. UGA walks off with a homer. That should solidify their seed.
I agree. I just don't want to be paired with them in a Super-regional. Their weekend pitching is like ours was before we lost our #1 and #3 starters. Plus they have two (pretty reliable) relievers.

Deleted member 2897

Honestly Stanford should be out of the discussion. Their RPI is now #16 with a #71 strength of schedule. They barely beat Berkeley, and were actually outscored in the series by TEN RUNS. They split with Oregon State at home before cancelling the third game and then they canceled their game with Pacific. Its like they wanted to stop playing to lock in their position where it was. They have a series this weekend at Arizona State. If they go 2-1, they should definitely be in the tournament. But to me they should sweep to be in the discussion for a Super Regional since all the numbers say they're not even remotely close to a top 8 team. They are 7-5 against Q1 teams. Not only is that bad, but its also a horribly thin resume. Most teams have played 30 Q1 games.

Deleted member 2897

UL down 0-5 to clemson in the 4th. If that score holds and we beat Duke on Friday we’ll match their 21-11 ACC record and hop them in RPI. That should bump us above them IMHO with the road series victory H2H.

Louisville has won only 4 of their last 9 games - against opposition with RPIs averaging probably 40-50. They're really limping into the finish. They lost series to UConn, Georgia Tech, Clemson, and Virginia. I think this is a better resume:

Deleted member 2897

Louisville down 0-7 in top of the 8th against Clemson. They will finish the season winning 4 of their last 10 games.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Lville is done until the tournament. TTU and OkSt play tonight, and either losing would put us VERY close. If we win a game or two more, and things fall our way, we could sneak up to a 7 in the RPI.

Anything to help the cause...

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Two weeks ago, the D1 baseball crew were debating Tech or Louisville as the 6 or 7 top seed. With the mis-informed opinion that Tech won 2-3 vs. Louisville at home, they gave it to Louisville. I kept screaming at the podcast that it was at Louisville, and we should have had the sweep, but for some reason it didn't influence their decision...

Now a week later, somehow, they have Louisville as a "lock" as a top 8 seed and us and on the bubble in... Louisville now 0-2 in the ACC tourney vs the 8 and 12 seeds. We won our first, now let's take the second and play on Saturday!

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Two weeks ago, the D1 baseball crew were debating Tech or Louisville as the 6 or 7 top seed. With the mis-informed opinion that Tech won 2-3 vs. Louisville at home, they gave it to Louisville. I kept screaming at the podcast that it was at Louisville, and we should have had the sweep, but for some reason it didn't influence their decision...

Now a week later, somehow, they have Louisville as a "lock" as a top 8 seed and us and on the bubble in... Louisville now 0-2 in the ACC tourney vs the 8 and 12 seeds. We won our first, now let's take the second and play on Saturday!

Like every other projection, it matters what you value (or think the committee values). D1baseball places a lot of weight on regular season champions.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Meanwhile, all we do is keep winning ..... which is fine w/ me. If CT is on the bump today I like our chances of continuing that trend. In my mind, if we win today we should definitely Ben a national seed, but my I don’t have a vote. Will the committee take into account key injuries? If so, do we “flash” X for a couple of innings in the ACC tourney just to let them know he’s back? Not CDH’s mode of operation, but just a thought.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
UCLA and Vandy are absolute locks.
UGA, MSU, and Arkansas seem to have done enough in the SECT to secure seeds.
GT, UL, ECU, TT, OKSU, Stanford, and OSU seem to be the ones still in contention for the last 3 spots.

If TT or OKSU win the B12T they’ll be in.
If GT win the ACCT we’ll be in.
If ECU wins the AACT they’ll 99% be in.

UL is holding their breath that one of those 3 things don’t happen. Stanford and OSU need anarchy and to win out.

Deleted member 2897

In addition to Mississippi State, Texas Tech, and Arkansas losing last night, so did Stanford.

I just don't see why Stanford keeps staying in the discussion. Their strength of schedule is #66. They are only 7-6 in Q1 games. The last 3 series they were outscored by 10 runs by Berkeley, split a 2-game series with Oregon State, canceled their game with Pacific, and have now lost the first game in the Arizona State series. This was supposed to be their crunch time to finally prove their ranking was deserving and that the RPI would catch up to it. Not happening.

Deleted member 2897

We now have 4 Q3/Q4 losses. Thats the most of anybody around us. Which sucks. Wasn't always that way. But Northwestern lost 4 of their last 5, Richmond lost 6 of their last 9, and Notre Dame's meaningless game against us yesterday ended in a loss and put their RPI at 102, so our loss to them earlier in the year counts as 1. And taking our foot off the gas against Pitt in game 3 counts as 1. So even though we won all those series, you gotta sweep the bad teams. Losing a game against Pitt, Virginia Tech, Notre Dame, and Boston College was no bueno.