2017 roster/depth

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Where I have a high level of confidence:

The OL has proven themselves capable this season and they are young. If they work as hard this off season as last, it should be a good year up front.

MJ and DM both running on the inside will be very hard to stop. When you have a physical QB who can run between the tackles and a real good runner at BB, it changes what the defense can do. Those two guys will make each other better. Run outs from the middle like the VT game will be more common. (will DM still be here?)

Our ABs are the best combo of running and receiving players yet. To date, they are far from the best at blocking. I am hoping that another year of experience helps. Things were a little better against the leg humpers. Maybe we can build on it.

Our WRs are coming along even though not dominant. They are catching the ball, even if they don't get separation without the DBs eyes in our backfield.

The back end (safeties) of our defense should be pretty good.

Where I have less confidence:

Along the DL there are huge questions. I have to believe Adams beats out KCH. He was simply getting pushed around too much this year. Will Jordan Woods make an impact? Will Branch progress? Will Keshun finally make a jump? To me, Simmons is the brightest spot from this season, but even he struggles when they run at him. The good news is the bar can't really be lowered any further from where it has been. It will either be more of the same or somewhat better. C'mon Brandon, get yourself in great shape!

At LB we have some good athletes who haven't yet convinced me they know what they are doing. Returning, we have BM who has had some good and bad moments, but is too slow to be a major force. Who is going to emerge as both hostile and reliable?

We still have matchup problems due to a lack of length in the secondary and speed at LB.

The OL has proven themselves capable this season and they are young. If they work as hard this off season as last, it should be a good year up front.

MJ and DM both running on the inside will be very hard to stop. When you have a physical QB who can run between the tackles and a real good runner at BB, it changes what the defense can do. Those two guys will make each other better. Run outs from the middle like the VT game will be more common. (will DM still be here?)

Our ABs are the best combo of running and receiving players yet. To date, they are far from the best at blocking. I am hoping that another year of experience helps. Things were a little better against the leg humpers. Maybe we can build on it.

Our WRs are coming along even though not dominant. They are catching the ball, even if they don't get separation without the DBs eyes in our backfield.

Along the DL there are huge questions. I have to believe Adams beats out KCH. He was simply getting pushed around too much this year. Will Jordan Woods make an impact? Will Branch progress? Will Keshun finally make a jump? To me, Simmons is the brightest spot from this season, but even he struggles when they run at him. The good news is the bar can't really be lowered any further from where it has been. It will either be more of the same or somewhat better. C'mon Brandon, get yourself in great shape!

At LB we have some good athletes who haven't yet convinced me they know what they are doing. Returning, we have BM who has had some good and bad moments, but is too slow to be a major force. Who is going to emerge as both hostile and reliable?

We still have matchup problems due to a lack of length in the secondary and speed at LB.
Good thoughts. Thank you

I particularly agree with you on MJ and DM. Those two will offer a dynamic of this offense more similar to the Nesbit/JD days. Josh and Dwyer really fed off each other. Both could both punish a defense inside at any given time. Not saying Mills is Dwyer, just similar in style. The speed and allusiveness our AB's are now could really make the offense a lot different from last year. Power football with the big outside runs. The OL will have plenty of exp.