2017 roster/depth

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
We have a LOT of talent coming back on both sides of the ball. We are losing 2 starters on O and 4 starters on D. Just take a quick peek:

18 of 22 from the depth chart Saturday return, with JT, FB, IW and EF all leaving:
QB: MJ, TQM, plus both of the freshmen we put on scholarship this past year coming off their redshirts.
AB: Lynch, Searcy and Green are all back, plus Gantt coming off his redshirt, Jarrett and Cottrell. I'd guess we might move TQM or MLD back to AB this spring.
BB: Marshall and Mills are both back, plus Quaide and Benson, we don't graduate anyone here.
WR: Jeune and Stewart are back, we don't graduate anyone here.
OL: Losing Fromayan and Burden, everyone else is back. This should be a strength for the next few years. Only Devine and Marshall will be seniors next year.

On D, 17 of 22 on the depth chart are also expected to return.
DT: losing Gamble hurts, but we have KCH, Adams, Glanton and Branch back here.
DE: we should be strong here next year, with everyone but Chungong back. Excited about Freeman, ASA, Simmons (and watch out for Jordan Woods net year)
LB: I'm excited about Mitchell being back, and I could see Swilling starting immediately, but we also have Vic Alexander, David Curry, Terrell Lewis and others back. Only losing PJ Davis here (though that's a big loss).
secondary: literally everyone is back, and we are bringing in some very talented freshmen.

There's a lot of reason to be excited about where the program is going forward. Here's the part I think is most exciting: We won 8 games with 23 of 44 guys on the 2-deep being freshmen and sophomores. That means more than 50% of the guys on the 2-deep have 2 years or more of eligibility.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
We have improved so much in a years time. I just hope we can want a little more next year. Lets take the Coastal and play in the ACC game again.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
RE: DTs. KCH, Glanton, and Adams have a higher ceiling than Gamble did at the position. Those are true DTs, while Gamble was a DE playing DT out of necessity. Also, KCH, Glanton, and Adams are all young. They still are not as strong as they'll be in later years. This is a really nice group for us.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
If we were playing a game tomorrow, with only the guys available now (no redshirts and no incoming freshmen), it might look like this:

QB: Jordan, Marshall
AB: Searcy, Green
AB: Lynch, Cottrell
BB: Mills/Marshall
WR: Jeune, Camp
WR: Stewart, Howell
OL1: Devine, Klock, Braun, Bryan, Marshall
OL2: Stickler, Lee, Cooper, Morgan, Morgan

DT: Adams, Glanton
DT: Cerge-Henderson, Branch
DE: Freeman, Simmons
DE: Saint Amour, Merriweather
LB: Mitchell, Alexander
LB: Curry, Lewis
DB1: Austin, Austin, Gray, Griffin, Duhram
DB2: Walker, Simmons, Johnson, Dotson, Campbell

That's not counting on a single redshirt or incoming freshman or transfer. I'll take that team and be quite happy with it!!

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
If we were playing a game tomorrow, with only the guys available now (no redshirts and no incoming freshmen), it might look like this:

QB: Jordan, Marshall
AB: Searcy, Green
AB: Lynch, Cottrell
BB: Mills/Marshall
WR: Jeune, Camp
WR: Stewart, Howell
OL1: Devine, Klock, Braun, Bryan, Marshall
OL2: Stickler, Lee, Cooper, Morgan, Morgan

DT: Adams, Glanton
DT: Cerge-Henderson, Branch
DE: Freeman, Simmons
DE: Saint Amour, Merriweather
LB: Mitchell, Alexander
LB: Curry, Lewis
DB1: Austin, Austin, Gray, Griffin, Duhram
DB2: Walker, Simmons, Johnson, Dotson, Campbell

That's not counting on a single redshirt or incoming freshman or transfer. I'll take that team and be quite happy with it!!
I think Cooper will start at C and Lee will start LT, Braun LG, and Klock and Will on the right side

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I think unless Devine drops some weight and gets in football shape, he is out of the mix in the offensive line. The Morgan twins need to step it up next season and provide quality depth. I see the tackles as Marshall and Klock with Lee providing depth, I see the guards as Bryan and Braun with hopefully Devine and or one of the Morgans providing depth and the center will be Cooper with Marshall being the back up, possibly one of the Morgan twins.

Go Jackets!

mj claz

Jolly Good Fellow
I am expecting a poor offensive line performance next year. We always seem to do the opposite of expectations there. And on paper we should be pretty good

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Biggest concern remains at least 1 DL and ideally 2 who can win one-on-ones more frequently and disrupt opposing QBS.

Simmons has shown flashes, so has St. Amour. Woods is promising. But until someone takes that next step opposing O's will pick us apart and keep us on the field.

I like the development in the secondary. Austin twins made plays down the stretch and Griffin & Gray have covered a lot of ground and made plays. LB needs continued development, though I also liked Mitchell's play down the stretch. Couple of rush ends or pressure from DTs would make our D an order of magnitude better. Like how Gamble came on towards the end of the year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't see Taquan Marshall in the QB mix next season. He's just too one dimensional as of this season in terms of being a true dual threat. He's very talented with the ball in our hands, but in order for our offense to run at the highest levels, we need a good passer. TM is not that yet. We could see him back at AB or redshirted.

I think what we'll see will be similar to what CPJ did with Tevin and Vad in 2012. I think MJ will be the starter, but the better of Lucas Johnson and Jay Jones will be the backup who gets a series or two a game, and more if he has a good day (ala Vad vs UNC 2012). We know what we have in MJ. Just a very solid QB who knows our offense, but he's not the best passer.

Jay Jones is the wildcard IMO. Very good athlete, shiftier and possibly the fastest of the QB. His senior film showed a better passer. Good size at 6'1. Kinda resembled Josh Nesbitt a bit...which is a good thing.

LJ could be the special one of the group. Best passer of the bunch (in terms of HS film), good size, good speed, and willingness to put his head down. Might see an even more explosive offense with LJ if he's everything we think he could be.

I know this much. CPJ will not be hesitant with QB follows or midline with any of these QBs like he was with JeT. Our skill guys will be deep, and our QBs won't have to carry our offense like JeT did last year. Then you add the experience and depth the OL is building this season.

Prediciton: GT will have a top 10 offense next season.