2017 roster/depth

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
I just hope whoever ends up starting can develop a decent passing game. That's been a game changer for us the past few years especially with the new A backs.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
As of now heres what I think we're looking at:
DE: Freeman, Anree
DT: KCH, Adams
DT: Glanton, Branch
DE: Simmons, Woods
OLB: Swilling, Curry/Lewis
MLB: Mitchell, Cooksey
OLB: Vic, Curry/Lewis
NB: Lawrence
CB: Lance, Campbell/
CB: Durham, Lamont
S: Griffin, Lawrence
S: Gray, Kagawa

The main question is will we be able to generate any significant QB pressure without having to blitz constantly?

Simmons and Anree need to work hard as hell and take the next step. Branch has rush potential from his DT spot and seemed to come on a little later in the year. Can K-Free more consistently get pressure. Could an in-shape Adams provide a bull-rush to compliment his run stopping game? Might another year in the weightroom and more experience help KCH and Glanton better use their quickness to get more of a rush. Is there a rush linebacker in the house?

If we do have to blitz, I see the secondary covering better as they did later in the season.

All in all, I think we see the rush, the pass D, and overall D improve incrementally. If someone gets to be a big rush threat then maybe more. I don't see it getting worse.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think Branch has potential at DE. I would love to see Adams take over a starting spot at DT. Hopefully we can get a good rotation at DT and some consistent pass rush from DEs. If not next year will be a repeat of '16.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
I think Branch has potential at DE. I would love to see Adams take over a starting spot at DT. Hopefully we can get a good rotation at DT and some consistent pass rush from DEs. If not next year will be a repeat of '16.

If we can get another stout, run stuffer in the 2017 signing class for the DLine, the potential is there to begin turning things around on the defensive side.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If the dl is told to engage the man in front of them and then fill the run gap in either side, how will there be pass rush?

Hopefully the players improve and Pelton will gets creative.

We could be very very good with a defense that occasionally gets a mid field turn over without giving up easy scores.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
There are some interesting rumors about Aubrey Solomon over on the recruiting section. If we pick him up and Adams can get himself into every down shape, then things get a whole lot more interesting. LB play has been a weakness, but it's hard to say how much better it would be if the DL got more push and made the run fits more consistent for the LB. There's certainly a lot of depth in the defensive backfield. We could mix up our coverages and substitute liberally depending on down/distance.

The really hard thing, though, is the hurry up no substitution teams.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Tuitt was a more likely get than Solomon IMO. By a bunch. Solomon chance probly about the same as Dalvin Tomlinson. I'll be happy to eat crow here though. Tough chewy bird but I'm not unfamiliar with the taste. I'm just not optimistic.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Tobias Oliver is going to be a good future for us. His high school is right here at my home town and Northside High has been in our division for years until this year. Seen him as lay several games over the past couple years against my old high school and others. The kid knows this style offense and is a great Athelete. Helps a lot to that he's coming from a high school to where he has played against some of the best talent and teams in the state. My prodiction he will be a stater for most of is time at tech

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Roster will be interesting in front 7 on D. I think the O is pretty set already.

My early season (game 1&2) barometers on how good we will be are how the abacks block and how the Dline penetrates while keeping contain.

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
18 of 22 from today's offensive depth chart are returning, plus some additional young players that show promise.

also 17 of 22 from the defensive depth chart is also returning, though we lose Kallon, Gamble and Chungong from the D-line. That's the area I'm sure will be the greatest topic of conversation. The DE's have a lot of returning talent (Freeman, Saint-Amour, Simmons, Woods coming off his redshirt, etc), but the DT position could be a question mark. I think we will see Adams, Henderson and Branch rotating there next year.

I'd love to know how many P5 teams that won 9+ games have 36 from the 2-deep back??

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Tobias Oliver is going to be a good future for us. His high school is right here at my home town and Northside High has been in our division for years until this year. Seen him as lay several games over the past couple years against my old high school and others. The kid knows this style offense and is a great Athelete. Helps a lot to that he's coming from a high school to where he has played against some of the best talent and teams in the state. My prodiction he will be a stater for most of is time at tech
I have watched him since a sophomore. If he plays as well in college as HS, we have a winner.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid Branch is like Gamble, we like him at SDE but will need him at DT, especially with our DE depth. I am personally high on Branch and have been watching him closely with favor.
I think the fans liked gamble at DE but cpj liked him at DT. I'm pretty sure I heard him say gamble is more of a natural DT.

No one has mentioned Chris Martin? He came in as a 3* guy. He redshirted and should have put on some weight and gotten stronger. Don't sleep on Glanton either. We could have a solid 4 man rotation at DT. Keeping Branch at SDE or whom ever. The choices at DE are good. The DL should be almost equal to most OL wt wise. The LB corp needs to step up. Vic where are you? LB play really can't much worse than the last few years at some point these kids have to improve. I'm really believing next years team can do better than just compete along both lines of scrimmage. OL could be dominating if everyone fulfills potential. DL can be better than avg. Am I asking for too much? Watching Hanson's tape I really wish he was coming in as DT, but that's my wish. Team speed is definitely improving and the incoming class has it to. I don't see why this team can't beat anyone in the conf. Conf crown will be ripe for the taking next year. Why not us?